PDA

View Full Version : ROLL BAR in a hatchback?

ZackieDarko
07-25-2006, 04:55 AM
No this is NOT in a 3g it is in an R32 Gulf ...but i was thinking of geting something like this fabed up for my hatch..think it would work? good idea? bad idea? it would gimmie a place to mount some harnesses too also :)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/billyjaci/r32cage.jpg

Hash_man_Se_i
07-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes it would work... but be very careful with roll cages they can be super dangerous in a street car.

But IMO, if you just went with a 4pt roll bar or something like that, and made sure you had padding on it, I would think you'd be alright.

Cheeseburger
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
what do u mean by "dangerous in a street car."

HostileJava
07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
what do u mean by "dangerous in a street car."

I was wondering the same thing. How can the rollcage make the car more dangerous?

frantik
07-25-2006, 11:43 AM
you could bang your head against the bars in an accident.. ?

HostileJava
07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
you could bang your head against the bars in an accident.. ?

I'd much rather they be there in an accident then not, maybe that's just me.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I have read into this quite a bit. Even with roll bar padding... if you have a full cage in your street car, especially if you dont have harnesses and buckets you could smoke your head hard on it in an accident and really injure yourself. This is because most full cages sit so close to your head.

ZackieDarko
07-25-2006, 01:20 PM
it wouldnt be a full cage and there would be some "racing" seats and some 4pt's in there and it would be padded to hell and back

Hash_man_Se_i
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Ya, I'm planning on the same... I just want a 4pt roll bar, who needs a back seat.

A18A
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
if a roll cage was dangeurous on a street car, why would they put it on a race car lol? ur more likely 2 crash on the track than on the road (well not really) and it wouldnt really be a good roll cage if you crash and u die from hitting ur head on the bars lol.

if you look at crazykampers car, id say a roll cage would have made it more safe for his sister

Hash_man_Se_i
07-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Dude... In a race car, you are wearing a helmet... so when you smoke your head on the roll cage you're probably not going to be hurt at all/

HostileJava
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Dude... In a race car, you are wearing a helmet... so when you smoke your head on the roll cage you're probably not going to be hurt at all/

So what your saying is you dont' wear a helmet for dailing driving? I don't understand........

86AccordLxi
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
omg...time to clear up some things....

Firstly, a roll cage in a street car IS a dangerous thing unless you take the obvious next steps which include getting a FIXED bucket seat and proper restraints (harnesses). If you have a cage in your street car and shit goes wrong and you DON"T have everything else, you can suffer head trauma (esp w/o a helmet).

Plus the fact that roll cage doesn't crumple, but your organs keep moving, so you can still become concussed.

I would recommend against...

Alex

A18A
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
oops, i guess i just said the wrong thing

BustedStruts
07-25-2006, 06:09 PM

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Roll cages in street cars = bad news.

Also..um... why? For looks? How much power does your accord have?

lostforawhile
07-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Roll cages in street cars = bad news.
Also..um... why? For looks? How much power does your accord have?
roll cages have nothing to do with power,they keep your car from collapsing on you in a rollover, etc, if you got hit by a large vechical would you want a cage between you and it or just the door? thats what they make five point harnesses for,they keep you in the seat then you don't hit the bar. thats also why they make roll cage padding. one of them saved my life when i was younger and stupider. I put a civic into a death roll downhill but the part of the car with the welded in cage stayed intact,and I stayed in the seat