PDA

View Full Version : Pulls slightly harder when not warmed all the way up?

FyreDaug
07-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Is it normal? Ive heard it can be and ive heard people refer to "like the way your car pulls when its cold"

whats the deal with that? its carburated, and its not a HUGE difference, but theres definately some more pull when its cold. Ambient air temp in the engine bay? It usually has itself completely unchoked (800rpm) when its like this too

MessyHonda
07-25-2006, 08:43 AM
yeah that is what i would do...in the morning it pulls harder since it takes longer to shift(auto) so i would go up to 4k...but 10k miles of that took its toll and the headgasket gave up....i didnt have a car for 4 weeks...not worth it in my opinon

Hash_man_Se_i
07-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Its pretty much a known fact that cars run better when the engine is cooler... thats why people are always putting in high performance radiators and such. But that doesnt mean that pushing your car hard in the dead of winter just after starting up is good for it.

But Ya, I notice the same thing... on a cool morning my car pulls much harder when I first start driving.

FyreDaug
07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
I still give it a good 20-30 seconds even in this heat to warm up and get everything lubed up before I drive too. I start it, it idles 2200. Count to 3, kick it down. Stays at 1200. Then once it warms up even more (after I get going usually, doesnt take long) its back down to 800 like normal. This whole process takes 30 seconds between starting and getting it to sit at 800

A20A1
07-25-2006, 03:21 PM
All the auto cars I've had pull harder when cold, thats why I'm so into transcoolers.

Some say it slips moreso I guess it depends how cold the cold is.

Strugglebucket
07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
don't drive your car hard when it's still cold. your oil's viscosity is still low. you could put brake fluid in your engine and have it run really fast but it wouldn't last long.

FyreDaug
07-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Synthetic doesnt take as long to get flowing either. Espesially 10 30 with some lucas in it. 20-30 seconds is enough to get it going

HondaBoy
07-26-2006, 12:18 AM
i'm quite convinced that it is the ambient temp of the engine compartment. mine kinda does the same. like when its a hot afternoon and i'm driving around then i drive at night when its a bit cooler i can tell a good difference. i notice the intake manifold gets pretty hot around where the carb sits. i always thought some kind of hood scoop or vent would benefit that area.