PDA

View Full Version : flushing power steering system

lostforawhile
07-25-2006, 03:37 PM
who has flushed out their power steering system and what did you use? I'm sure not going to use expensive honda power steering fluid so i can throw it away. maby alcohol or something like it that evaporates quick? I'm putting in a new rack and pump and I sure don't want whatever garbage is in there going through the system. I also found an expensive B and M transmission oil cooler at the junkyard for like ten bucks today. I'm going to use it for a different power steering cooler. I'm going to mount it level with the strut rod under the car,with one end in a flexible clamp on the strut rod,and one end attached to the center cross member. that way it's nice and level with the bottom of the car. these are the tough coolers with the tube and plate construction. they are about rock proof.

AZmike
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't use anything other than Honda PSF. It’s cheaper than the similar stuff at auto parts stores. I wouldn’t trust anything else not to destroy the seals. I had to replace my steering rack and power steering pump seal because the previous owner let Jiffy lube put ATF into the power steering system.

lostforawhile
07-26-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm just talking about flushing out the hoses and hard lines. the pump and rack are new

AZmike
07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Some alcohol solutions harm rubber components. Has the fluid been contaminated somehow? Why don't you think that a fluid flush is sufficient? There's a filter in the bottom of the reservoir that should prevent whatever 'garbage' was in the system from circulating. If you’re really concerned you could replace that as well I suppose.

What do you hope to accomplish with the replacement cooler? The original part is tough, light, and out of the way.

lostforawhile
07-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Some alcohol solutions harm rubber components. Has the fluid been contaminated somehow? Why don't you think that a fluid flush is sufficient? There's a filter in the bottom of the reservoir that should prevent whatever 'garbage' was in the system from circulating. If you’re really concerned you could replace that as well I suppose.
What do you hope to accomplish with the replacement cooler? The original part is tough, light, and out of the way.
the original cooler won't fit with other things in the way. i've been using the unused transmission cooler in the radiator,but i'm putting in an air cooled one now. I'm about to put in about 400 bucks worth of steering gear,thats why i want to flush the system. the old pump failed and I guarante the system is full of metal garbage.

lostforawhile
07-29-2006, 05:12 AM
I just decided to buy a case of honda compatible power steering fluid from nappa. oh well,I'll put the rest up for later. I'm going to disconnect the resovoir lines and just turn the pump by hand and run several pints through the system.