PDA

View Full Version : New Center Console! I can hold my cassettes now yay!

2ndGenGuy
07-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Bought a center console a few weeks ago from the junk yard, I was lucky enough to find one in the very last 2g they had sitting there tucked away. It came out of a grey car. I sprayed it blue to match the interior of my car. They let me have it for $5! Repainted the black part as well. Looks all new and shiny.

Pulled the old console:
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/interior/no-console.jpg

Repainted and shiny. Used to be grey!
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/interior/console-alone.jpg

Installed the necessary bracket, which was also pulled from the JY car.
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/interior/bracket.jpg

Here it is installed. Lookin ready to hold my cell phone and remote. :)
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/interior/console-installed.jpg

Oh snap! Some cassette tapes to reminisce about...
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/interior/interior-tapes.jpg

labeledsk8r
07-27-2006, 12:03 AM
looks good,paint came out great on that. i didnt know the center console/tape holder was rare on 2nd gens, every 2gen i see at the local JY's all have the tape holder center peice, never thought much of it

mkymonkey
07-27-2006, 12:52 AM
wow...i kinda like this one better than the one that came with the 3g. and is the cassette holder the same as the ones we use? cuz they sure do look the same. i mean if they are......can you say cupholders??? lol

Cheeseburger
07-27-2006, 04:35 AM
wow came out really good!!!!!!!!!!!

2ndGenGuy
07-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the compliments. :)

I don't know how rare those center consoles are, but I've only seen them one time. Of the hundreds of times I've been to the junk yard, scouring through 2geez, this is the second one I've seen. It could be just my area though, and the fact that 2geez themselves are hard to come by...

And yeah those cupholders are REALLY close but wouldn't quite work. Maybe with a 3g center console, and some fiberglass, I could make one that would fit in my car. That would be pretty sweet.

frantik
07-27-2006, 10:42 AM
looks like thats the eq holder.. :)

88LXi68
07-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Makes me miss my old 85 which had the factory EQ

3G Jester
07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
i have the center consol and stock EQ. any one want it? :deal:

you still want those seats steve?

offthahook
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Damn, son! I have that exact same console. I painted it blue as well. What sucked was how the black part was molded to the color part. Lots of taping, but I repainted the gray part blue and the black part black. Looks hella tight! I used SEM interior plastic paint, mixed to match (not aeresol), with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Should be tight forever. I also, very carefully, cut that center divider thingy for the cassettes to fit into. I was skurred I would mess it up, but I got it nice and smooth for a better storage bay than the "cut in half" storage area. I'm done with cassettes, so I was good losing that. I'm just glad I didn't crack anything doing it. I hope to use that switch hole for a power antenna someday. Now how freaking sick would that be? Just like the 3G...

I tried to install the damn thing and it didn't fit! I was like WTF??? I know I have seen pics. of it installed in a hatch in the accessories catalog from 84 or 85. Plus, European Accords had them standard in all trim lines. I wondered if the sedan and hatch had diff. dash hump configurations. Honda parts told me the part numbers matched (4 dr and 3 dr). I know the OEM center consoles were the same for all trims and all transmission types. I just didn't want to mess it up trying to wedge it in there. I didn't get that bracket, but that shouldn't matter. How did you get it in and was it a tight fit? I took the trim piece out from under the radio and removed my shift handle, how hard can it be? Mine came out of a 4 door, but Honda said the 3 and 4 doors had the same accessory part number. That's cool you found that piece and got the bracket, too.

2ndGenGuy
07-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah man I had some issues making it work. Things don't exactly line up still. I managed to get the top 2 screws to work on that bracket and the very end two where it connects up to the conole plastic around the eBrake. I pulled it out of another 4 door LX and so I figured it would fit perfectly. It fits pretty well, but I don't think I'm going to get any better. I don't understand why it's not fitting like it did in the other car, everything else looks the same. You can't really tell on mine unless you look up at the seam from underneath, so I'm probably not going to worry about it.

I was actually able to pull the black piece apart from the blue part of the console. It simply snaps together up top. Maybe yours just woudln't come apart because it's been together for so long and kinda bonded together. I painted it with some kind of vinyl / carpet dye that my dad picked up from his shop. Its color-matched in the rattle can to my interior. I didn't use any adhesion promotoer though, I've painted plenty of other parts in my car, and none of them have had any problems. I think its because its designed for spraying interior parts.

That bracket was really a key part to me getting it together. If I just let it sit on the floor, it didn't reach all the way up to the top, and left a big ugly gap. You might want to head back to the yard and pick it up.

Maybe our problems are the opposite in our cars. It sounds like your dash has maybe sunk down or something, and my floor has sunk down. The gap in mine is just slightly too big, so I just maneuvered things very carefully until it all kinda went toegether as best it could. It doesn't sit all the way on the hump towards the back of the console. Its kinda wierd.

Also, my car does have a power antenna switch in it. I think all the LX's had that, at least the sedans. My power antenna switch though is clear over to the left of the steering wheel. I don't think that location in the center console is where it ever was in any 2g's. They just moved it there in the 3gs. But I do like the idea of moving it there, like a 3g. Kinda cool.

offthahook
07-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah man I had some issues making it work. Things don't exactly line up still. I managed to get the top 2 screws to work on that bracket and the very end two where it connects up to the conole plastic around the eBrake. I pulled it out of another 4 door LX and so I figured it would fit perfectly. It fits pretty well, but I don't think I'm going to get any better. I don't understand why it's not fitting like it did in the other car, everything else looks the same. You can't really tell on mine unless you look up at the seam from underneath, so I'm probably not going to worry about it.

I was actually able to pull the black piece apart from the blue part of the console. It simply snaps together up top. Maybe yours just woudln't come apart because it's been together for so long and kinda bonded together. I painted it with some kind of vinyl / carpet dye that my dad picked up from his shop. Its color-matched in the rattle can to my interior. I didn't use any adhesion promotoer though, I've painted plenty of other parts in my car, and none of them have had any problems. I think its because its designed for spraying interior parts.

That bracket was really a key part to me getting it together. If I just let it sit on the floor, it didn't reach all the way up to the top, and left a big ugly gap. You might want to head back to the yard and pick it up.

Maybe our problems are the opposite in our cars. It sounds like your dash has maybe sunk down or something, and my floor has sunk down. The gap in mine is just slightly too big, so I just maneuvered things very carefully until it all kinda went toegether as best it could. It doesn't sit all the way on the hump towards the back of the console. Its kinda wierd.

Also, my car does have a power antenna switch in it. I think all the LX's had that, at least the sedans. My power antenna switch though is clear over to the left of the steering wheel. I don't think that location in the center console is where it ever was in any 2g's. They just moved it there in the 3gs. But I do like the idea of moving it there, like a 3g. Kinda cool.

Werd. Who knows what the secret is to getting everything lined up perfectly with that console. I got mine on ebay and he said the car was long gone, so no bracket for me. It looks simple enough that I can bend some aluminum and make one. Not like it shows. No 3 doors had the power antenna, but the dash plugs are there, just like the sedans. I just need to get a motor, mast, and a switch from an LX 4 door (or se-i). The hole on that center console might take a 3G antenna switch. I looked at trying to separate that black storage box from the shell, but didn't risk it. It was hella tight on there. Cutting the center cassette post was scary enough. Your mounting tabs are broken off on your console. Maybe that's why it doesn't fit tight?? Or maybe it just doesn't fit tight... I'll get some pics. of my console up soon.

2ndGenGuy
07-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Mounting tabs? Yeah I'm starting to wonder now... Hmmm

There weren't any in the car I took it off of, and I doubt this had ever been pulle before. But who knows! Yeah I'd like to see the pics of yours. :)