PDA

View Full Version : The new ride

gtivr4
07-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Just want to say hi. I just bought an 85 hatchback.

http://www.photoapex.net/webimg/accord_cut.jpg

Its in pretty decent shape, although quite rusty around the rear fenders (every Honda seems to be around here!). Runs great, handles ok, and has lots of decent new parts (CV, brakes, clutch, exhaust). 140k miles, and only cost me $250.

What do people suggest for low cost upgrades? If I found a junker Prelude, would I be able to steal parts from that (rear disks, carb)?

Cheers!

reanimator420
07-27-2006, 05:44 AM
pretty nice 2g and here is a list of prelude parts you can use
http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php it should help lol
:welcome:

MessyHonda
07-27-2006, 07:11 AM
well nice find. i would just give it a good tune up and see how it runs...then start by doing stuff like high flow air filter, exhuast and then brakes.

2ndGenGuy
07-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Swap a Weber on it. It's really easy and removes all the complexities that will make your car a pain in the ass to work on. If I can do it, then I'm pretty sure anybody can do it. Especially since I don't know what I'm doing. ;) You can pick up used DGVs for pretty cheap online, and I'm pretty sure you could pick up an adapter plate for pretty cheap as well.

And yeah you can swap the rear discs from a Prelude onto it. Its a bolt on thing, Look for some posts by PhydeauX. He's got a how-to up online. I pulled the Prelude discs for mine, but haven't put them on yet, but I'll say it's pretty straight forward.

gtivr4
07-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Swap a Weber on it. It's really easy and removes all the complexities that will make your car a pain in the ass to work on. If I can do it, then I'm pretty sure anybody can do it. Especially since I don't know what I'm doing. ;) You can pick up used DGVs for pretty cheap online, and I'm pretty sure you could pick up an adapter plate for pretty cheap as well.

I did a quick seach on Webers but couldn't find anything... where do I find more info? Whats a DGV? I've never dealt with carbs before

2ndGenGuy
07-27-2006, 09:31 AM
You'll have to follow the how-to in the 3geez section. It's pretty similar for 2geez.

Here's my Weber swap:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52973&highlight=weber

Some Weber Info:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10230&highlight=weber+howto

There's a how-to swap the carb, but I can't seem to find it myself right now. I'll post the link later when I do.

Also, if it didn't turn up any results, you're probably using the search function for that particular section of the forum. Make sure you use the search button at the top of the page.

The thing is with the carbs on these cars, is you don't really wanna mess with the stock ones. Some people on these forums really know what they're doing and are really good with the carbs. If you've never messed with carbs before (like me) you'd be better off with the Weber. It's got a good learning curve compared to the stock carbs.

86AccordLxi
07-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey, you're from the Car Lounge!! I was going to link you here, but you already found it!

Good luck and enjoy!

Alex

chainz
07-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Car looks pretty clean overall. Where are you located?

Cheeseburger
07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
kool! welcome!!! to the family

gtivr4
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Car looks pretty clean overall. Where are you located?

Thats because I didn't show you this:
http://www.photoapex.net/webimg/accord_rust.jpg

Although not bad for Vermont!

mkymonkey
07-28-2006, 12:44 PM
pic no worky

Cheeseburger
07-28-2006, 12:55 PM
works for me!

thats not that bad. it could be fixed

89l_x_i
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Man why cant i find such good cars for so cheap? $250 for a second gen hatch is pretty nice there was one around here for sale a while back 85 hatch and the guy wanted $750 pretty good shape too but need alot of work. Anyways nice ride i hear you can put a weber carb and get like 80 miles to the gallon.:welcome:

offthahook
07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice. Not too bad to be honest, plus it was a good price. Here's my advice-- do not ever add OEM cruise!! Show us the interior meng.

2ndGenGuy
07-28-2006, 08:00 PM
The Weber won't get you 80mpg if you get the DGV. I've got that on my car, and the sound of the car makes me FLOOR it all the time to hear that badass throaty sound. I get about 24mpg now with the way I drive it. If i drive it nice though, I get the 30mpg that the car gets stock. There might be another carb you can get that gets that crazy mileage, but I think that was the 1g with a certain carb. Does anybody know about this? I read about it before myself, but don't know which one is.

Civic Accord Honda
09-21-2006, 02:28 AM
welcome :)
thats a good find wish i coud find a 2nd gen that cheap

gfrg88
09-21-2006, 08:37 AM
dude quit reviving old threads!!

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 08:40 AM
dude quit reviving old threads!!

lol he is the Zombie Ricer:rice:

A18A