PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Neutral switch? Failed Inspection.

shepherd79
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
OK,
So i just moved to MD, and i took my car for inspection. It passed on everything but little.
one of them was clutch. neutral switch.
The guy looked under the dash and said that there is a switch. well i forgot to tell them that is it for cruise control.
So can anyone tell me if my 86 Accord actually has that switch.
I never had this problem before, and i never even thought about it.
anyhelp would be great.

my car:
86 accord LXI
original was auto, but i converted to manual, using 86 accord pedals.

thanks.

EX-ileAccord
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
is the switch your talking about the one that doesent let you start the car unless the clutch pedal is right to the floor?

A18A
07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
i have a switch on both cars, 1 has C/C the other doesnt, but they both have the clutch switch. i didnt knoww that these cars had that push-clutch-in-to-start-car option :S, whats the switch for for the cars w/o C/C?

EX-ileAccord
07-27-2006, 12:57 PM
As far as i know the only switch that would be there is an override switch, so you could start the car without pushing the clutchin. I highly dought honda would put a manual switch in their cars, because the 80s big red honda 3wheelers had an auto nutral switch in them that would only let you start it if you were in nutral. my dad had an 85 civic 4dr hatch that would start in gear, but im pretty sure the switch was bi-passed

carotman
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
is the switch your talking about the one that doesent let you start the car unless the clutch pedal is right to the floor?

Yeah that's what I think.

Only the 89 Accords had this.

newaccorddriver
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
only the 89 pedals had this feature, even then its not hard to wire in to the car, its reliability is questionable compared to the OEM ones in the 89 accords though.

as far as the inspection goes, you shouldnt fail it at all cause your car never came with it from the factory.

A18A
07-27-2006, 03:20 PM
so whats the switch for then???

MessyHonda
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
yeah my car wont start until i press the clutch pedal...and that is weak that they even looked...i thought cali was hard...they didnt say anything...it just passed and i left

smufguy
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
When my car was a LX, i had a clutch switch with the harness having a clip that connected to it. when i swapped to the EFI, the wiring harness was out of a 88 Lxi and the wiring did not have a clutch swith clip and neither did the peads on the 88 lxi have a clutch swith on top of the pedal. so theoretically, i have a switch, but its not connected and the car starts without the pedal being depressed. If anything alex, you can just remove it and try it again, or u can painfully follow the wiring dig for the clutch swith and manually run the wires if you want.

newaccorddriver
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
the way i plan to do it is to hook up the set of 89 pedals i have and run a relay to put that switch to use. i WOULD use the OEM relay as i got one of those as well, but i just dont get how it works and a relay i can pick up anywhere is alot easier to figure out

keruhas184
07-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Alex, that must be one anal mechanic, huh? My 87lx never had that swich.

shepherd79
07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
well, the guy is OK. he said that if the car didn't came with a switch and i can prove it he will pass me.
So i have OEM honda shop manual and i am going to show him that nowhere in the manual it says that i have one.
the one he saw was for cruise control.
I was suppriced that i passed on everything else. I know for the fact that my upper driver ball joint is going out and my inner tie rods are almost gone with PS rack itself. But the guy said that the car passed except a few switches.
My e brake light doesn't work for some reason. it is easy fix.
i just got new tires and i have to put EGR pipe back on.
But thanks for the info. I wanted to make sure before i started to hack some wires to find out that my car didn't have that switch.
Thanks.