PDA

View Full Version : putting on a different coil...

A18A
07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
i read the how-to on installing a different coil, i understand all that, just curious if there's anything i need to know before i put on another coil???? it's a nippondenso 12v thats all i know about it.
do i need that condenser thingy connected btw???? dont wanna blow anything up aye

and like the how-to said, i put the 2 blue wires 2 the negitive and the 2 black/yellow wires to the possitive right???

just doing this cause i figure the one on there is rather shitty and just wanna try something different instead of using the 1 from the other car

labeledsk8r
07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
yeah the install is really easy, and no you dont need a condensor, only cars that need that are ones running pins. all you will need are some wire cutters and something to strap the new coil down with suc really, if you want it to come out real clean get some eye hooks and some heat shrink and take your time and it can come out real clean looking,either way its very simple good luck with it

A20A1
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
The stock coil is an okay coil, you don't need much more.

I liked the Accel Super coil (ASC)... (not accel super stock)
The MSD Blaster SS (MSDBSS) is also very close in it's specs to the (ASC)

The accel super stock coil (ASSC) and msd blaster 2 coil (MSDB2C) both are the same when I used them, and didn't seems as clean in acceleration and idle as the Accel super coil (ASC).

Normally on the coil the wires of the same color code are separated.

So what you do is pair up the wires with the same color code. To do this you have to cut each wire. so you have all 4 wires. then expose the ends and twist the matching wires together, then add a eye hook connector on the end.

A18A
07-28-2006, 03:20 PM
ahh cool thanks, i havnt cut up the plugs yet as i dont wanna do that unless the car starts lol plus im a lil scared to cut up wires and find out this coil is probably even shittier than the last one. i just got the wires sitting in the plugs for now and i got it bolted down on the car really nicely (well could be better but it wont move). so what do you mean by cars running pins??? whats pins?

A20A1
07-28-2006, 03:29 PM
I think he means points

labeledsk8r
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I think he means points
yeah i did lol just noticed that, my bad thanks for clearing that up

A18A
07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
ahh ok, so what are points??? lol

labeledsk8r
07-28-2006, 05:23 PM
to tell the truth i dont fully know, i just know there used on 1978 or older or somethng like that, i just wanted to sound somewhat smart by saying that :D

3G Jester
07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
make sure you upgrade your cap too. not a requirement but a damned good idea. you'll get the max efficiency out of your cap

A18A
07-28-2006, 06:37 PM
ahh that would be a good idea, what if i clean them or sumthin???????? i dunno, its a fairly good dozzy

labeledsk8r
07-28-2006, 07:06 PM
new caps and rotors are cheap like both under 15 bucks, its just a good idea to do, when i did my new coil i also did new upgraded plugs 8mm wires new cap and rotor all at once

A18A
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
well i finally got a hold of dads keys, so i jumpstarted my car (first time i started it since adjusting the timing) and i found it to be alot more responsive than it was before which is the coil and the timing, but the coil did help coz i put the old 1 back on and i noticed a tiny difference that it was shittier so yeah, i cut the plugs off and wired it 2 the coil properly, and i bolted the coil down tight to the car so now im happy :D oh yeah, this coil came off our little barina :). I also noticed that the car putted out and i could smell alot of burnt petrol, dunno what that is but as long as it lasts till i can sell it :D

i did put it 2gether right did i???
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/231d4ad1.jpg
isnt it just cool :D

A18A
08-01-2006, 03:53 PM
umm i read somewhere on here that for the fuel pump to work the coil sends a pulse/signal to the fuel pump to keep sending petrol, anyone know if this coil will do it? or do i have to wire up a switch or just put the older 1 back on?? just figured that seeing the car aint starting maybe just not enough petrol though :huh:

A20A1
08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I think thats what the extra wires were for. Or maybe for tach...

Don't worry though the pump will work.

86hondadx
09-19-2006, 04:45 PM
will the tach still work? sorry little slow on this subject

MessyHonda
09-19-2006, 05:07 PM
will the tach still work? sorry little slow on this subject

you have to cut the wires and put them on the coil so it can work

86hondadx
09-20-2006, 10:41 PM
oh i get it now ok thanks

BITESIZE
09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
In my opinion, stick with the stock coil and save your money for other things. Unless you go with all MSD stuff.

Tailfin
09-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I guess I'm a little late on this, but if anyone still cares :-D... Points are old style, not-so-efficient means of arcing electricity. I don't know all the gory details, but the major disadvantage of them is the energy efficiency. Modern ignition systems put out just enough charge to jump a gap (say in the rotor to cap)...but points just blast a lot of energy all the time because the technology wasn't there to put just enough energy through and get a result...hence why points melt down over time.

Also, not to thread-jack, since issues here have been resolved... The primary coil resistance on my ignition coil is 0.2 ohms over the limit in my factory service manual. Anyone know how much improvement I should expect from a new, spiffy coil?

frantik
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
In my opinion, stick with the stock coil and save your money for other things. Unless you go with all MSD stuff.

ok bumping this old thread.. if i want to fool with the coil, should i do like Bitesize says and wait till i can get the msd blaster with matching ignition box, or would getting just a coil make a difference

what is the best coil to run if you're not getting the ignition box? a20a1 seems really hype on the Accel Super Coil so thats what i'm thinking of getting sometime

also, do you HAVE to gap the spark plugs when you add a coil? or is it just better?

Vanilla Sky
01-07-2007, 05:09 PM
the only thing nice about a coil is a smoother idle and you can gap the plugs wider. wider gap means easier ignition, which in turn means better fuel economy and power.

when new, our stock systems are perfectly fine. when they wear out, they aren't so great. measure your stock coil, and if it's within spec, leave it alone, as you're not really going to gain all that much from changing the coil. if you do change the coil to a performance part, i'd take mike's advice and get the accel super coil.

frantik
01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
how do i measure my stock coil?

i'm assuming a brand new coil is gonna be better than one thats close to 20 years old with 200k miles on it. and i know it's not about gains as much as just running smoother :) I noticed when i got new plugs and wires my car was a lot happier so i imagine a coil would be a good choice as well. I had a super stock coil i was gonna install when i did the plus/wires but i sold it cause a20a1 dissed it plus i needed the $$ at the time

MessyHonda
01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
when i put in my blaster 2 coil idle and revs where way smoother...later on i changed the plugs and i found out that the ones i had in it did not had good contact with the wire and it ran like crap. i set my gap to .44 but yeah just the coil alone should help...i dont think you need the MSD box since you are not going to run turbo or need high tech ignition for a stock engine.

ghost103
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Are the In-Cap Replacement Coil's better than the external ones? Thank you

MessyHonda
01-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Are the In-Cap Replacement Coil's better than the external ones? Thank you

our cars only use external ones...the internal ones would be in newer cars like in your 92.(i think) obd1

shepherd79
01-08-2007, 12:28 PM
the internal coils have tendency to burn up a lot easier. External coil is a lot better. the air around it cools it down plus they build a lot better.

2oodoor
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
the internal coils have tendency to burn up a lot easier. External coil is a lot better. the air around it cools it down plus they build a lot better.
There are a lot of problems with ignition failure with the coil on distributor, wet weather reaks havoc on them. This is the same ign on a lot of Toyotas.
External coil is more reliable.
Has anyone ever used a Bosch Blue coil on Hondas?

Rockcord
01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I just replaced mine too, but sheesh yours is actually pretty... pfft :-p

POS carb
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
any coil with a regular + and _ hookup will work.

Most auto part store employees don't know shit, just ask for the performace coil by Accel (Super stock) or MSD (blaster)

If your stock coil works don't change it
This mod is good for 10 mental HP (and maybe 1 real one)

Mount your coils upright unless they are epoxy filled.