PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Cooling Fans to be on permanently as long as the Ignition is on ????

SimonT
07-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Sometime ago a Cuban Mechanic in Miami fixed my fans temporarily by wiring "something" in the fuse boxes so that they were on all the time that the ignition was on.

This worked great until eventually in getting my A/C fixed I got the fans working correctly again.

Well now the fans are not coming on again and I need the quickfix and have forgotten how he wired things up.

If I remove the fan relay and short the bottom two connectors then both fans do come on but then they stay on, even when the ignition is off so its not much of a fix.

What wires do I need to connect under the hood to recreate the original quickfix???

Don't want to run wires or switches into the Cabin if I can avoid it, and it was not necessary the last time. Is there a feed under the hood which is only on when the ignition is on ???

I have an 89 DX. Cheers,

Simon

87lxiaccord
07-29-2006, 08:21 PM
when we boughtmy sisters prelude it had the same rig it would keep the fans because the car had an overheating problem it was rigged from the ac fan motor to the ignition coil wire its really not a good idea but you gotta do what ya gotta do right? hope this helps any

A20A1
07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
You jumper the thermoswitch.

Find the thermoswitch connector at the base of the radiator, you may have to remove the dust shield... or you can try to pull it out by reaching down from the top. It's by the battery side of the car.

Then get a wire and expose the ends and crimp on two electrical connections.

I'll draw a diagram in a bit.

The fans should come on as long as the fans are good and the fuse to the fans are good.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/thermoswitch_bypass.gif

SimonT
07-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks Guys,

I forgot to add that the Fan relay is currently AWOL so I don't think jumpering the Thermoswitch will work :banghead:

The theroswitch was recently replaced so I guessed it might be the fan relay.
Well the local parts store doesn't have a relay tester and they did not have the relay in stock and it was something like $80 to order one so I declined.
The guy behind the counter offered to test it at home for me so I gave it to him but guess what. Went back a couple days later and he doens't work there no more :uh:

So till I can source a cheaper relay I'm stuck hardwiring something.

I'll see if I can find the right ignition wire to use but like you said not the ideal solution.

Thanks again

A20A1
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
I think the yellow wires or yellow and black are on with ignition.

It's been a while though.

A18A
07-31-2006, 01:42 AM
yeah if you want something on as soon as the ignition is on, i think all you gotta do is find any black wire w/ yellow stripe and connect it to that. ex: into the coil wire

and instead of getting a jumper wire for something like that, you could just get a bit of tinfoil, squash it up and jam it in there :D thats the cheap way though

lostforawhile
07-31-2006, 02:13 AM
I've probably got a fan relay here somewhere I'll send it to you if you like,if I don't have one I'll yank one at the yard. I can't remember off the topof my head,early morning,underhood fusebox right? click on my avator and use my email,pm is full right now.