PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Combination Switch

johnfrye
07-31-2006, 06:35 AM
Okay Guys, this is my first attempt at repalcing a combination switch. I have a 1987 Honda Lxi 4 door. I know the switch is bad because I have to hold the light arm to turn the lights on. I did read previous posts regarding replacement. I have attempted to turn the bolt on the steering column in a clockwise fashion with no success. Geez, I don't want to cause more damage. How much force? Clockwise or counterclockwise direction?

2oodoor
07-31-2006, 07:17 AM
:) Lefty Loosey, Righty tightey.... I dont think the steering wheel nut is left hand thread,it is a self locking nut.Use a long handle ratchet so you have some leverage, hold the wheel in one hand, either hold the wheel and move the wrench or visa versa.
No puller is needed after the nut is off, it comes right off. Make sure your wheels are streight first so you can get the steering wheel back on streight.
You should be able to search the forum for more details, it is relatively easy job. I would advise not tighening any of the screws too much because the switch is plastic. Also note, I have changed out loads of these things in other cars, but for some reason the honda (being the icon designer of so many things other car makers are using now) , even though it is basically structurally identical to other assemblys like this, is finicky about everything being just perfect or tolerances if you will. Dont warp or break it !!!

A18A
07-31-2006, 08:30 AM
i usually turn the wheel a so its facing a bit right, take out the take the key, turn it left untill it locks (which would be straight) and then unbolt it with any socket, i used the X thingy i use to undo the wheels nuts, after that it's pretty straight foward

Cheeseburger
07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
:) Lefty Loosey, Righty tightey.... I dont think the steering wheel nut is left hand thread,it is a self locking nut.Use a long handle ratchet so you have some leverage, hold the wheel in one hand, either hold the wheel and move the wrench or visa versa.
No puller is needed after the nut is off, it comes right off. Make sure your wheels are streight first so you can get the steering wheel back on streight.
You should be able to search the forum for more details, it is relatively easy job. I would advise not tighening any of the screws too much because the switch is plastic. Also note, I have changed out loads of these things in other cars, but for some reason the honda (being the icon designer of so many things other car makers are using now) , even though it is basically structurally identical to other assemblys like this, is finicky about everything being just perfect or tolerances if you will. Dont warp or break it !!!

yep this works wonders!