PDA

View Full Version : no idle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

FORFREE
07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
how many sticks of TNT would be nessacary to destroy a A20? No seriously i believe my carb is running lean so how would i richin' up the mix? thank you. i have been runing this way for the past 1200 miles so it has not got any better and it starting to really annoy me.:gun:

A20A1
07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Drive the car... shut it off and roll to a stop in neutral, wait till the engine cools and check your spark plugs. It'll tell you if you're running lean or not.

The easiest way to richen the mixture is reset the float level.

Other then that you can choke off the air correction jets and fuel will flow more readily into the carb barrels.

but first confirm you are running lean. and it's not something else like ignition or something.

Before you do adjust the float though make sure both filters are not clogged, or replace both filters if you haven't done so in a while.

FORFREE
07-31-2006, 03:23 PM
i am sure i am running lean b.c when i spray carb cleaner in the carb it goes back up and i had a relativly expierenced person look at it, couldn't i pull the plugs now because i have been running the car for a while like this?

A20A1
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah you can but when you stop and sit there and idle you are finding out your idle mixture, not the mixture that is present when you're driving the car.

Even on a stoich mixture carb cleaner will raise the idle some.

Also you have the white valves on the car which allow air in to lean the mixture. You can plug those air inlet ports and it will also richen the mixture.

Have you looked at your float level?

Have you checked how much vaccum you are pulling?
When vaccum is leaking less is applied to the venturies and less fuel is delivered from the carb while extra air is allowed in through the leak.
Vaccum leaks can be from
- Intake Manifold Gaskets
- Vacuum lines
- Carburetor Gaskets
- PCV Valve

FORFREE
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
i had the carb re-built