PDA

View Full Version : Window Regulator & Torn Sheetmetal

superdesi
08-01-2006, 01:19 PM
The driver's side window wasn't working so I took the door panel off and was amazed to found that all 3 bolts that hold the regulator in place had loosen up and 2 of them had fallen inside the door.

The major problem is that the sheetmetal where those 2 bolts go is completely torn up and ripped so I just can't reattach the bolt cause it won't hold. The third mounting hole is in good shape.

Has anyone had this issue and what did they do to fix it?

Thanks,

Jason.
89 LX-i.

EX-ileAccord
08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
that happend to me to man. I had to beat everything flat and make a bracket to reinforce the door and hold the window motor in place.

ghettogeddy
08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
so could this be a prob with windows that get stuck or sound like they still want to go up after there all the way up

superdesi
08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
That's what happened with mine, it got stuck. EX-ile, I don't have any scrap metal laying around to fab a bracket, so I'm going to take it to a body shop and maybe they can weld around those 2 ripped & torn holes and make it nice and good again.

Sometimes I wish I had a MIG welder :)

superdesi
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
BTW, from what I saw today, the regulator was held down by 3 bolts. But the factory service manual shows 4 bolts. So , which is it? Should I be looking for an additional bolt somewhere?

conozo
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
That's what happened with mine, it got stuck. EX-ile, I don't have any scrap metal laying around to fab a bracket, so I'm going to take it to a body shop and maybe they can weld around those 2 ripped & torn holes and make it nice and good again.
Sometimes I wish I had a MIG welder :)

I use computer cases as my scrap metal, if you dont have any computer cases then just go drive around looking at peoples trash on a trash night, youll find something.

Blkblurr
08-02-2006, 06:04 AM
For a couple bucks you can get sheet metal at Lowes or Home Depot. It would cost more to drive around looking for it.

EX-ileAccord
08-02-2006, 06:25 AM
you dont even need sheet metal. I used this stuff my dad had laying around it looked like metal grid thing, i just cut it to size, it allready had holes in it, so i just used sheet metal screws to hold it in place drilled the holes bigger for the bolts and i was good to go:rockon:

EX-ileAccord
08-02-2006, 06:29 AM
so could this be a prob with windows that get stuck or sound like they still want to go up after there all the way up
sounds like the gear on the motor is stripped. Mine seems like its getting stuck and when i put it down it make s a really loud baging noise and keeps spinning. I dident get a chance to take it apart yet but I know the gear is stripped

ghettogeddy
08-02-2006, 06:51 AM
damn are those gears replaceable or is it time for a new motor

EX-ileAccord
08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
I'll let you know tonight when I take it apart. I'm going to try to grind the teeth on the gear flat first, hopfully that will work. I'll let you know how it goes.

ghettogeddy
08-02-2006, 08:27 AM
cool cool, please do, thank you!!!!

nswst8
08-03-2006, 03:05 AM
I used large washers and tack welded them after I bolted them down, I'm not sure how much damage you have but its fixable. Just have to be alittle creative.