PDA

View Full Version : what is the purpose of the o2 sensor or wut does it do?

salgmz
08-06-2006, 03:55 PM
i got an accord 87 lxi and i bought a o2 sensor. does it make ur car run better my car throws a lil smoke and people tell my o this that if i put a new o2 sensor that it should stop so i bought 1 and wut tools do i need to take it off and put it on and do i nees to take off the exhaust manifold shield? please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

ghettogeddy
08-06-2006, 04:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_sensor
and if u go buy a hanes or chiltones or download the shop maule from paules sit (search here for that) one of those will show u how to change an o2 sensor

A20A1
08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes you need to remove the Heat shield

salgmz
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
oh ok i just put it on and it seems to run the same so i dont know? but the pgmf1 sign doesnt come on like it used to so thats good so thanx for the help guys!!! wut do u recomend that i get for my car to just run better and stronger!!!

shepherd79
08-08-2006, 06:39 PM
new O2 sensor should make you car run stronger, cleaner and more efficient.

salgmz
08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
ok i put it in and the pgmf1 light hasnt came on so im happy but the idle still doesnt seem to b right! can any 1 recomend anything that i should get for my car just to run better and stronger i already got the o2 sensor and a thermostat so wut should i get next?????????

Dow
08-18-2006, 10:00 PM
replace your spark plugs, before you try anything else. They go bad alot in the LXI.

salgmz
08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
my spark plugs r new and the wires are to!i got a question y does my right spark wire make a sound like when the car is on and when i hold it it stops is this good or bad it sound like something knocking!

A18A
08-20-2006, 10:40 AM
its just loose, try clamp it on to the plug so it stays, dont clamp it hard though cause u would still wanna be able to take it off

smufguy
08-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Just do the regular tune up for the ignition, fuel and get a shop to get your valve lash adjusted to specs (unless you are brave and talented enough to do it on your own). Follow the maintanence schedule listed for our cars for the dictated milage, it should help you keep your car in tip top shape

salgmz
08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Just do the regular tune up for the ignition, fuel and get a shop to get your valve lash adjusted to specs (unless you are brave and talented enough to do it on your own). Follow the maintanence schedule listed for our cars for the dictated milage, it should help you keep your car in tip top shape
wut is the valve lash and i need to take it to a shop if i want a valve lash!

A18A
08-20-2006, 07:59 PM
www.3geez.com/forum/search.php would help alot, but seeing im not the kinda kid to go nuts at some one, i might aswell post the linK: http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39319&highlight=valve+lash

salgmz
08-21-2006, 09:23 PM
dang that shit is to confusing as hell man!ill just leave it like that i guess cuz i dont know wut the hell thats all about!

smufguy
08-22-2006, 04:20 AM
dang that shit is to confusing as hell man!ill just leave it like that i guess cuz i dont know wut the hell thats all about!

follow the link on my sig and download the free shop manual. Its the best you could possibly do. I was at your state and before i even touched the car, i read thru the whole thing, understood what it meant and how things need to be done. then i used to look at mechanics work on cars and often hung around my mechanic's shop at either at his house or at the landRover dealership he worked at to see how they do things. it will eventually make sense to you.

salgmz
09-04-2006, 12:29 AM
ok thanx