PDA

View Full Version : weeding out members that never really existed

lostforawhile
08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
has anyone ever thought about going through and finding the members who joined years ago and never posted? It would make navigating things here a lot easier. I was looking at the members list and see things like people who "joined" in 2003 and have 0 posts or 1 post when they joined.

Cheeseburger
08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
good point, i think it would save some space

86AccordLxi
08-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Not quite sure why that's necessary.... what are you having problems navigating?

Alex

lostforawhile
08-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I just think it's silly to list someone as a member who has been on here for years and never even posts or has never posted. I would think in order to be a member you should at least participate in some way shape or form. maby list them as inactive members vs active members. there is a difference between someone who is really interested in this board and someone who registered when they were bored one day,then vanished :)

frantik
08-06-2006, 11:08 PM
it's pretty common on message boards for people to register but only post once or twice... (or never)

86AccordLxi
08-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I still don't understand why it's a problem...

Alex

MrBen
08-06-2006, 11:24 PM
It's unnecessary at this point. A few months ago Joe pruned about 1,100 inactive users from 3geez.

A18A
08-07-2006, 02:47 AM
hmm i think if u done that, the site would look like it bearly has any members

87accordlxi
08-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Every so often, I prune people who have not verified their registrations and have not visited the board in 4 months. Like GhettoAccord said, the first time I did it, I pruned over 1,000 members. Now everytime I do it, it gets rid of 200 or so. I remember discussing this before, and mentioning that the actual database table that stores all of the members' info uses an extremely small percentage of the total database size.

bobafett
08-07-2006, 07:44 AM
I have found a couple sections of 3geez that is much more exciting than the members list... :)

ghettogeddy
08-07-2006, 07:52 AM
i see were hes coming from though when u have to find a member and u have to go throught that huge list of nobodys it gets anoying ive doen it a couple of times

87accordlxi
08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
478 unique users have visited the board in the past week. Should I prune everyone else?

2818 users would be pruned if I got rid of everyone who joined more than 2 years ago and have less than 10 posts.

ghettogeddy
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
i see were your coming from too there have been alot of people that have been members for a couple years and have just made there first post

frantik
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
if you need to find a user to pm them or somethign you can use the search engine and search for their posts..

lostforawhile
08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
478 unique users have visited the board in the past week. Should I prune everyone else?

2818 users would be pruned if I got rid of everyone who joined more than 2 years ago and have less than 10 posts.I was talking about people who have joined years ago and haven't been online since,there are a lot of people who visit but don't post,thats different,I'm talking about peoplr who join and never go online again, :)

dillirk
08-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I visited the site for 6 months befor registering and that was so I could search then it was another 6 months befor I posted anything now that I know more I help when I can and seek help for the realy puzzling stuff. If I was prunned I wouldn't mind as long as I could reregister with the same name.

HostileJava
08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
That brings up another question. I swear there used to be somthing on the members public profile that showed there last visit/login and now it's either not there or I don't see it.

lostforawhile
08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I visited the site for 6 months befor registering and that was so I could search then it was another 6 months befor I posted anything now that I know more I help when I can and seek help for the realy puzzling stuff. If I was prunned I wouldn't mind as long as I could reregister with the same name.it's really not that big of a deal,it was just an idea,I'm primarily talking about the more extreme cases like the people who have registered in 2003 and don't have a single post :) maby we could do something to encourage the people who visit all the time to join? I mean it's so easy,new people mean fresh ideas and maby new talent. I mean if someone has been visiting for six months we need to do more to encourage them to join, it has made a difference cracking down on bashing noobs, i may kid with them,but I want them to feel welcome. the next person who joins might be a carbon fiber expert or something like it.who knows? I just figure if someone has joined and never posted in years,they are probably long gone.

newaccorddriver
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
it's really not that big of a deal,it was just an idea,I'm primarily talking about the more extreme cases like the people who have registered in 2003 and don't have a single post :)

i originally posted here with the intent of never posting again. i guess it was the fact that i got a shitty 3g that made me come back. and the whole 3g community welcomed me without flaming for my problems ive had. and the fact that elijah helped me fix basically my most serious problems

lostforawhile
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I visited the site for 6 months befor registering and that was so I could search then it was another 6 months befor I posted anything now that I know more I help when I can and seek help for the realy puzzling stuff. If I was prunned I wouldn't mind as long as I could reregister with the same name. see you are interested in the site though, you aren't one of te people who joined years ago and disappeared. :) by the way how do you like your cherry bomb? my wife and i just went to Flordia for the meet,600 miles round trip in one day, and were doing an average of 85-90 with the windows open in traffic. and those things are loud. I have the traditional type of one with an open exaust before it. I'm really considering installing an intercom system like on a bike.

3G Jester
08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
if we really want to free up server space we should just delete all of CT's posts.

86AccordLxi
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I still don't understand why you care about people that don't post--I know I lurked for a LONG time, and only posted sporadically, and still for the most part in the same way (notice how I don't have THAT many posts, esp. relative to a lot of people here, though I've been here a lot longer). Leave people alone, let them use the board the way they want. If people feel the need to contribute, they can.

Alex

Bglad420
08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
^^I'm with you, why do you even really care??

Sounds like someone just wants a "top secret" excuse to post whore..... j/p

Cheeseburger
08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
I still don't understand why you care about people that don't post--I know I lurked for a LONG time, and only posted sporadically, and still for the most part in the same way (notice how I don't have THAT many posts, esp. relative to a lot of people here, though I've been here a lot longer). Leave people alone, let them use the board the way they want. If people feel the need to contribute, they can.

Alex

wow i out posted u :bandance: lmao wow just realized i really am a post whore:violin:

Chase
08-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Yeah about this, I had a membership that I made in like 02 used it all the way through 04 then I joined the army. I didnt have a time or even an accord so I didnt come to the site, I recently purchased another one and its waiting for me when I get back from Iraq. I couldnt find my old username or anything But im back now, I also have a 2007 Honda Civic Si ordered and Im picking that up in Germany when I get back! Oh yeah and Iraq is sucking.

Chase
08-08-2006, 02:56 AM
I just found my OLD username, AccordinglyAZ! Now Id like to delete this new account but that doesnt seem to be an option!

ghettogeddy
08-08-2006, 05:33 AM
well its not about people posting its more like people creating accounts and not using them at all, there are alot of place out there that if u leave your account for more then 6 mounths untouched they delete it unless u inform a mod that u will not be loging in for such and such period of time

87accordlxi
08-08-2006, 06:29 AM
I just found my OLD username, AccordinglyAZ! Now Id like to delete this new account but that doesnt seem to be an option!

If you can still login to it and want to use it instead of the new account, I can delete the new account.

Vinny
08-08-2006, 07:01 AM

Alex

Agreed. Just because people dont post that doesnt mean they arent active on the board. The only way to "effectively" prune people would be by date visited. Not everyone feels they have to create a new thread 6 times a day, most of which have been gone over time and time again. Before you know it some people have created 218 new threads in a little over a year.

Heres an idea lets prune out people who dont post AND people who over post/cant search either :ugh2:

Move along folks nothing to see here

HostileJava
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Even that wouldn't necessarily work. People who visit infreqently probably don't log in unless they need to post so they just show up as guest when they are viewing pages. There is no way to log when these people are viewing as guest and associate that with there username unless we assume they always have the same IP and I'm not even sure the board software would allow you to use IP's instead of Usernames to show last date visited.

lostforawhile
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
THE POST THAT HAS TAKEN ON A LIFE OF IT'S OWN!!! LOL I'm just talking about people who create an account then disappear into thin air,and haven't logged on in years. and have never posted, it was just an idea. :)

88turboaccord
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
also remember that there are a "few" that are off in Iraq or wherever not able to get online or post that often because of those circumstances.... I have had a few times where I have not been here for over a month, sometimes business gets real busy and I don't have the time to post---or even lurk for that matter.

MrBen
08-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I haven't been around very much in the past 6 mos... I went a month or so without logging on... life gets busy.

ChaseR
08-10-2006, 02:40 AM
If you can still login to it and want to use it instead of the new account, I can delete the new account.

Yes if you could go ahead and smoke the new account I would appreciate that.

lostforawhile
08-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes if you could go ahead and smoke the new account I would appreciate that.
hey good luck over there,we are all behind you buddy!! be safe.

Stock89LXi
08-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I have not posted because I always was fascinated by all of your technical expertise and didn't want to open my mouth to remove all doubt that I'm an idiot. I am the "other half" of another ID on this site. Originally, I started in AutomotiveForums.com and joined 3geez -- you have my join year as 2003 but I was on the other forum from before that. I found my password!! OK, so it took me from my last visit in 4/2004; but at least now I can use it. I see that for not logging in for over 2 years, I have 233,135 new posts to read! (I'll just mark them read, if you don't mind...). There are different reasons for not posting and I'm not trippin' over the idea of doing a database cleansing of IDs that haven't logged in in a LONG time or of IDs that have never posted; but there are some people who haven't done much with this site but are still interested in it. Well, peace! :)

MessyHonda
08-18-2006, 05:33 PM
I have not posted because I always was fascinated by all of your technical expertise and didn't want to open my mouth to remove all doubt that I'm an idiot. I am the "other half" of another ID on this site. Originally, I started in AutomotiveForums.com and joined 3geez -- you have my join year as 2003 but I was on the other forum from before that. I found my password!! OK, so it took me from my last visit in 4/2004; but at least now I can use it. I see that for not logging in for over 2 years, I have 233,135 new posts to read! (I'll just mark them read, if you don't mind...). There are different reasons for not posting and I'm not trippin' over the idea of doing a database cleansing of IDs that haven't logged in in a LONG time or of IDs that have never posted; but there are some people who haven't done much with this site but are still interested in it. Well, peace! :)

wow congrats on your first post.

lostforawhile
08-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I have not posted because I always was fascinated by all of your technical expertise and didn't want to open my mouth to remove all doubt that I'm an idiot. I am the "other half" of another ID on this site. Originally, I started in AutomotiveForums.com and joined 3geez -- you have my join year as 2003 but I was on the other forum from before that. I found my password!! OK, so it took me from my last visit in 4/2004; but at least now I can use it. I see that for not logging in for over 2 years, I have 233,135 new posts to read! (I'll just mark them read, if you don't mind...). There are different reasons for not posting and I'm not trippin' over the idea of doing a database cleansing of IDs that haven't logged in in a LONG time or of IDs that have never posted; but there are some people who haven't done much with this site but are still interested in it. Well, peace! :):welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

A18A
08-19-2006, 05:37 PM
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
your just 3 years too late for that arnt you? :P

and also LOL @: Last Online: 01-01-1970

and
I have found a couple sections of 3geez that is much more exciting than the members list... what would that be? :)

and also...
the actual database table that stores all of the members' info uses an extremely small percentage of the total database size.
if it uses so less, why delete them? i know it would be harder to find someone, but it makes the site look bigger than what it is :P

epic1400cs
08-21-2006, 04:23 AM
We have a saying in Japan which means "Dead branches are part of prosperity of a big mountain".

87accordlxi
08-21-2006, 07:24 AM
if it uses so less, why delete them? i know it would be harder to find someone, but it makes the site look bigger than what it is :P

I don't delete any fully registered users whatsoever, unless requested by that user. The only reason I prune the users as described in Post #9 (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=650565&postcount=9) is because the Restricted usergroup they are in gets too big for my liking. These are not fully registered users.