PDA

View Full Version : converting automatic to standard transmission

fuelpump
08-07-2006, 07:38 AM
This forum has changed a lot since the last time I logged in. Anyway. Last year I swap the old engine(es2) and put a a20a in. This year's project is to fit a standard transmission on. I already bought a 5 speed that was on a 1985 dual carb prelude and have everything else(shifter, pedals, cluth, etc.) The only thing is that the differential of the prelude is about 2mm bigger then the accord. I've looked to swap the diff. but it does'nt look like it's gonna fit. What do you guys think I should do?

ghettogeddy
08-07-2006, 07:54 AM
buy a 3rd gen tranny and swap the lude gears

offthahook
08-07-2006, 09:06 AM
buy a 3rd gen tranny and swap the lude gears

Werd.

ghettogeddy
08-07-2006, 09:17 AM
why do u say that theres a couple of people (i think) that have done it

PhydeauX
08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Thats odd about the tranny. 85 should have the smaller splines. The diffs will swap if thats the way you want to go, its a pain to pull apart the two transmissions though. If the trans you have takes the larger 3g sized axles then what you can do is a SE-i axle swap. The hubs from a prelude Si (86-88, or what ever the 2g si years were) will press right into your bearings. Then you can use the axles from an 85-SE-i. I still find it odd that the axles wont fit the diff. I used an 85 trans for mine and had no problems. You sure the trans didn't come from an 86?

andy