PDA

View Full Version : welding up a new exhaust

newaccorddriver
08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
i was wondering if its possible to weld up an exhaust system using a stick welder. due to recent events, access to the mig welder i bought might be impossible.

A20A1
08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
I haven't use a stick welder on anything but aluminum square tubing.

all I can say is welding on thin metal in general can get tricky. Try an tack a few places and see how it holds up. or weld to scrap peices first.

newaccorddriver
08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
thats kinda what i had in mind, i know all welders arent built the same, but i figured their called a welder for a reason, so it should be able to weld metal

Justin86
08-08-2006, 06:34 PM
well a stick is mainly for thicker steel, so you would have one hell of a time doing it and the weld will most likely be very weak.

newaccorddriver
08-08-2006, 10:36 PM
well a stick is mainly for thicker steel, so you would have one hell of a time doing it and the weld will most likely be very weak.

how so? i thought the cheap stick welders were for residential type of applications, and even the box shows a dude welding up an exhaust. what makes this type of weld weaker then something like a mig welder?

A20A1
08-09-2006, 12:13 AM
probably trying to get penetration without burning right through.

Sure its a stick welder on the box?

I think you'd be okay welding 16 gauge... maybe 18 which seems to be what is available in auto stores... 20 is thin and 22 forget it.

BTW these are great hangers... but they are easy to make yourself and you can alter the design to fit your needs... but the main piece in any of the designs is the "U" clamp itself, after that you just get some steel rod and weld it to the flat bit of the clamp and use that for the hooks or hook. http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-610111_w.jpg

2oodoor
08-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Stick welding exhaust would be out of the question. You make too much heat to get it to open up, by then you have blown through.
Before MIG and still today even if they dont use MIG . exhaust shops use acetylene torches and steel rods.
That is how I first learned to weld in tech school, we used coat hangars and gas torch, dark goggles but not as dark as you use in an arc. You open up the metal with the heat, stick in the rod, get a puddle and flow the puddle (which makes a bead)
There are some special rods out there for ARC welding that you could possibley do some tacking of some parts in exhaust, but not sewing up a whole pipe around.

newaccorddriver
08-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Sure its a stick welder on the box?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444327 7423&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517562&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517587&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669869&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669869&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1155173006617

thats the one in question. it lokos fairly decent value, but im wondering if it would do the trick

newaccorddriver
08-09-2006, 06:22 PM
i just noticed theres a decent 90 amp arc welder at a different store. is an arc welder an acceptable means of welding together an exhaust system?

EDIT, this welder also uses rods and such like the one in the link i provided earlier

Justin86
08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Mig will be your easiest and cheapest to weld exhaust 16-18 gauge. oxy-acetylene is realy nice for thin metal and uses the same principles as a TIG.

A cheap stick would be a ok thing around a farm but the last thing you want for your car. A decent MIG is around 1500 new and could be found used for 500-1000.

newaccorddriver
08-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Mig will be your easiest and cheapest to weld exhaust 16-18 gauge. oxy-acetylene is realy nice for thin metal and uses the same principles as a TIG.
A cheap stick would be a ok thing around a farm but the last thing you want for your car. A decent MIG is around 1500 new and could be found used for 500-1000.

so i take it the one i posted isnt any good then?

how practical is oxy-acetalene for the average person? it seems like its good to use, but i dont think something like a propane torch would be sufficient when it comes to something like that

ilikevtecs
08-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Welding exhaust on a mig is easy if you take your time and "stich" weld, all you do is keep tacking all the way around it will keep the metal cool and won't burn through it because you would be cooled down by the time you lay down the next tack.

newaccorddriver
08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Welding exhaust on a mig is easy if you take your time and "stich" weld, all you do is keep tacking all the way around it will keep the metal cool and won't burn through it because you would be cooled down by the time you lay down the next tack.

if i can just easily tack it all around, then thatll be all fine by me. if it leaks, i guess i can cement/tape it shut.

Justin86
08-11-2006, 06:41 AM
oxy-acetalene is a relativly cheap set up and it works great with thiner metal. It is a two handed process so it will take more pratice then a MIG or stick but its down fall is that you can't weld thick metal.
For welding exhaust you realy don't want to tack it 100%. Penetration is the key and just tacking alone will not hold together for to long. You should be able to run at least a small bead before you burn-through, and with more pratice you won't. Welding truly is an art and take LOTS of pratice, esp with thin tubing

newaccorddriver
08-12-2006, 04:18 AM
are the rods that are used in the oxy-acetalene setup special rods made specifically for that purpose?

i managed to find an oxy-propane torch, but thats probably not what im getting at. the store i usually go to doesnt sell acetalene, so do i have to go to a specialized store for this kinda stuff?

szvosec
08-12-2006, 04:53 AM
Yeah you are going to have to go to welding/gas supplier. This should help.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=Edmonton%2C+welding+stores&btnG=Google+Search
http://edmonton.texerta.com/Edmonton_Alberta.htm?welding_welding_equipment.htm&main

Justin86
08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
well any wleding shop should sell acetalene if not they suck big balls.

There is nothing special about the rod in any sense, just that it produces less heat and easier to use on thin metal.

DDRaptor
08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't want to be accused of reviveing a dead thread but i rather revive this one and not start a new with the same question.

I want to learn how to weld as well.
what would i need to make my exhaust system as well.

Materials
Tools
Flanges
Gaskets.
Measurments of the header .
and is this a good idea for a beginner like me who's never welded.\

Plus i had an idea of getting it to be.
4-1 with a Magnaflow Cat + Resonator + Muffler, with Twin pipes 2.25 Chrome angled tips.