PDA

View Full Version : california "anti-rice" law?

snoopyloopy
08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
has anyone else heard of this new supposed law in california where basically they'll ticket you if you have anything not stock or even mildly performance related? i heard a little commercial on the radio last week, but didn't really pay much attention til the end when i heard "that means you can get a ticket just for having a souped up ride." but by then, it was over, no more info. then today at work, one of the fellows said his friend got ticketed for it in a stock evo. so does anyone know anything more about this or have heard about it and know what i'm talking about?

and is it only for imports or for domestics as well? because if i get ticketed for my intake but a guy in a mustang doesn't get ticketed for a holley carb, there's a problem there.

B16KILLA
08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I dont think they can do that.

MessyHonda
08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I dont think they can do that.

yeah it was on the news like 2 months ago...they were doing it in the south bay...they would check if everything was smog legal...so no Ebay CAI or ilegal headers....thats why my friend sold his 98 lude with alot to mods and got him self a SUV

B16KILLA
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Thats the only reason I can see why they would ticket you. All my parts are carb e.o certified. They've been giving tickets for that around here for a while. They tried to get me for a "modified exhaust" but I got out of it because it was I told him it was less than 100db at 100ft. The only reason they ask to pop your hood is if they have reason to believe you have illegal parts or if your street racing. But as far a cosmetic stuff I dont see why they would ticket you unless your car looks like a rolling disco.

lostforawhile
08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
around here they mostly look to see if you have those annoying strobes and any kind of blue lights on your car, which makes sense, strobes are fine for parking lots or he strip at spring break,but not for every day driving. how about a law that says if your spoiler is out of complete proportion to your car? I saw one here the other day ,no kidding,three feet tall.

Acid X
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Hmm.

HAH.

I doubt they give tickets just for you having any modification to your car.

But i can understand like.. illegal intakes (even though theres no DIFFERENCE) and headers and no cat.. etc.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Here where i am the PD is impound any cars with mods for 30days then when they get it back it has No Motor and tray in it Now that F*** Up The PD impound Fee for the 30Days is 1190.00

Cheeseburger
08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
that fucking sucks man!!! all our hard work and they just take it away. gayness. i remember at the beginning of the year the city of Los Angeles was going to start to impound and destroy any cars that were Involved in any kind of street racing

Vanilla Sky
08-07-2006, 09:53 PM
do what i would. crush the cop cars. maybe a little thermite.

catch one while he's doing one over the speed limit, put him under citizen's arrest, and have his car crushed at the side of the road. do that a few times and you'll see that they'd start listening to us "kids" with "mods." scrap prices are up. trust me, there's going to be a scrapper somewhere that has a rolling crusher that will happily oblige.

B16KILLA
08-07-2006, 10:39 PM
around here they mostly look to see if you have those annoying strobes and any kind of blue lights on your car, which makes sense, strobes are fine for parking lots or he strip at spring break,but not for every day driving. how about a law that says if your spoiler is out of complete proportion to your car? I saw one here the other day ,no kidding,three feet tall.

I totally agree. they should go with the name they chose "anti-rice". So that means if anyone has a car with tasteless mods/bodykits, sticker/graphics/colored tint, and any cheap ass neons, or leds on the windshield wiper squirters. Exhuast tips that exceed 31/2 inches, spoilers taller than car/wider than, no false ideantification by puting on vtec decals or haveing cobra decal all over your mustang , even though it a v6, ETC........ I could go on for ever

frantik
08-07-2006, 11:36 PM
apparently the ticket is a fix it ticket and if you dont fix it then you get the big ticket. heres an article from last year

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/517.asp) and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

mkymonkey
08-08-2006, 02:14 AM
wow

2ndGenGuy
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Holy load of crap. Glad we don't have emissions here. I'm never moving down there... Window Tints and spoilers are probable cause?? Since when? Talk about a major violation of rights. Thats not right that they can just pull you over for visual modifications that have nothing to do with whether or not your car is mechancially modified.

EX-ileAccord
08-08-2006, 06:57 AM
There was a thing on the news, I think it was W5 about a rolling crusher the police were using. If you were caught raceing/speeding and your car was modded they crushed it on the spot. They showed a civic and some other car getting caught street racing and they crushed both of then right there on the side of the road. I think it was in ontairo somewhere

have a look at this http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060615/street_racing_060615/20060615/

mkymonkey
08-08-2006, 07:31 AM
wow that sucks

ghettogeddy
08-08-2006, 07:42 AM
so would insurance cover that

AznImports602
08-08-2006, 08:31 AM
apparently the ticket is a fix it ticket and if you dont fix it then you get the big ticket. heres an article from last year

Wow that sucks! It looks like they are taking a piece of our freedom here. So your pretty much stuck with driving stock cars, unless you want the cops pulling you over all the time...

Cheeseburger
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
wow that sucks
that just dosnt suck bro. it really sucks lol...:bandance:

A20A1
08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Fucking police no wonder no one likes them... they use us as their payroll and say it's for the public good.

Maybe stick racing stickers on the cops daily driver cars. "Tunned by Ford"
or chevy or whoever put the performance engines and parts into the cruisers.

A18A
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
just a good reason to have a sleeper 8)

Vanilla Sky
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
well, the cruisers have their speed limiters removed, right? that's illegal modification. those cars are covered in lights. another illegal modification. a lot of them have a cage in them. there's another.

again, find a scrapper that will help you guys out. i know that you'll find one with the price of scrap metal high as it is.

frantik
08-08-2006, 12:24 PM
just a good reason to have a sleeper 8)

yuuuuup :)

Window Tints and spoilers are probable cause?? Since when?

i doubt just tint or a stock looking wing alone would be enough for probable cause... but if your car looks straight :rice: then chances are you've got some mods too.

in downtown san jose there are so many modified cars.. cops wouldnt have time to bust them just for being modified. i could see if you got pulled over for something else how a dicky cop could get you for modified engine too, but they're not just pulling people over here for driving while rice

Cant Stop
08-09-2006, 04:16 PM
yeppers kiddies its time to vote!
repeal that patriot act law and replace with a real law and while you are at it get the unreasonable search and siezure clause in OUR FOUNDING FATHERS BILL OF RIGHTS! reinstated!

reanimator420
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
^took the words right out of my mouth

89l_x_i
08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Hmm i wonder if getting their car crushed would actually teach them dumb fucks who street race not to do it again? I got no probelm with that. You wanna be stupid and put peoples lives in danger than you dont deserve to drive or own a car so i got nothing against the cops crushing a car for street racing. Think about if if they auction of modify cars then you could probably get a ride that someones spend a ton of money and time to modify for a fraction of the cost. (think civic hatchbacks with b16s, b18s etc going for a grand or 2:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blizzard
08-09-2006, 06:55 PM
http://www.motorists.org/join/what_is_nma.html

The Sema Action Network(I think is the name) is another foundation that has to do with rights concerning custom cars.

A18A
08-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Wow that sucks! It looks like they are taking a piece of our freedom here. So your pretty much stuck with driving stock cars, unless you want the cops pulling you over all the time...
put a jet engine in 1, then you dont have to worry about cops chasing you, they be scared you'l turn the after burner on hehehehehehe. but seriously, that does suck how they can control what u can and cant do :( thats why living in NZ is a good thing :D coz theres less of it

ICEMAN707
08-09-2006, 09:14 PM
That is a violation of rights. Just cus some dumb fuck decides to break the law and gets himself into a wreck, doesn't mean everybody else has to suffer not being able to mod their cars like they want to. It's not just fair to drivers, but to aftermarket parts companies & dealers. Modding cars has been a heritage and tradition for years ever since the automobile was invented. Cops just can't take that away in favor of profit and putting more money into their paychecks saying it's for the good of the community....my ass. What about cars that are souped up from the dealer like Scions? I see some domestic car dealers are doing the same thing too, like Dodge and Chrysler. What about the new muscle cars coming out like Challenger and Camaro? What about the upcoming Infinity GTR and all-new Toyota Supra? Lambos and Ferraris? --- Are they all gonna have a hayday pulling everyone of these cars they see on the street over? All I can say is, I hope they don't do that here in FL. I say, you guys in CA need to call or write up your governor, The Terminator, cus that is just rediculous!

....I also highly doubt cops all drive "stock/average" personal vehicles. Most cops I've seen got a sportscar or motorcycle or two in their homes.

A18A
08-09-2006, 09:55 PM
would they notice things like jdm corners on ur guys cars as a mod and have u put behind bars or w/e just coz of ur lights??

mkymonkey
08-09-2006, 10:06 PM
i dont think they would ever notice the difference between jdm and usdm corners...theyre stock. what they do notice is different colored lights. like blue headlights, blue foglights...or yellow for that matter. actually i got pulled over last month for having my yellow foglights. i carry around a copy of the california vehicle code book with me and pointed out to the officer that under CVC#25950 Section B it states that fog lights may be in any color in the spectrum between white and yellow. but he gave me a fix it ticket because he said they looked more amber than yellow. went to court and the judge dismissed it after a sheriff signed off that they were indeed yellow and not amber. so i showed him! lol but the only reason they will pull you over in ca for modification of lights is if they dont comply with CVC#25950

A18A
08-09-2006, 10:16 PM
i dont think they would ever notice the difference between jdm and usdm corners...theyre stock. what they do notice is different colored lights. like blue headlights, blue foglights...or yellow for that matter. actually i got pulled over last month for having my yellow foglights. i carry around a copy of the california vehicle code book with me and pointed out to the officer that under CVC#25950 Section B it states that fog lights may be in any color in the spectrum between white and yellow. but he gave me a fix it ticket because he said they looked more amber than yellow. went to court and the judge dismissed it after a sheriff signed off that they were indeed yellow and not amber. so i showed him! lol but the only reason they will pull you over in ca for modification of lights is if they dont comply with CVC#25950
lol :Owned2: hahaha u showed him, just if everyone could could show them how it is!

frantik
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
but he gave me a fix it ticket because he said they looked more amber than yellow.

lol.. he was pissed you basically proved him wrong so he's all.. "well they look orange to me".

and i agree you're not likely to be cited for the corners. they look stock and they do actually have an orange bit, it's just not reflective.

Cheeseburger
08-09-2006, 10:33 PM

wow that was lame of the cop to say they were amber, what a loser. and you should have complained about them having a color blind officer:bandance:

frantik
That is a violation of rights.

:lol: the right to mod your car? it sucks cops are cracking down but we all know that these mods are illegal in the first place if you want to drive on public roads. If you want to use city streets you gotta follow the city's laws or pay the price.

Just don't get some crazy loud muffler or rice out your ride and chances are cops wont even think to look under the hood

A18A
what if you had one fixed headlight and 1 pop-up lol? its still stock :)

i like the exhaust sound limit comming in nz :D but i bet if you have a half-loud exhaust, the cops will pull you over and claim its too noisy without doing a reading of how loud it is..

mkymonkey
08-09-2006, 10:35 PM
yeah the funny part is that the judge was a cool guy. i told him, i showed him the vehicle code book and he read it after i read it to him, pulled his out (mine was a printed copy) read that, and then said they look amber not yellow.

the judge is all like, yeah to tell you the truth that rule can be very hard to get over, you never know if the guy is color blind lol

edit damn cheese you beat me to the color blind officer joke lol

A18A
08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
yeah the funny part is that the judge was a cool guy. i told him, i showed him the vehicle code book and he read it after i read it to him, pulled his out (mine was a printed copy) read that, and then said they look amber not yellow.

the judge is all like, yeah to tell you the truth that rule can be very hard to get over, you never know if the guy is color blind lol
lol i bet the cop fulla was shattered

Cheeseburger
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
lol.

MessyHonda
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM

where did you get the code book? my friend had one since his dad was a cop...it was funny cuz it said something about no pimping...and you should not be able to hear the music of your car with in 50 ft

frantik
08-09-2006, 10:55 PM
heres the California Vehicle Code: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

i think monkey just printed out the relevant parts

ICEMAN707
08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
:lol: the right to mod your car? it sucks cops are cracking down but we all know that these mods are illegal in the first place if you want to drive on public roads. If you want to use city streets you gotta follow the city's laws or pay the price.

Just don't get some crazy loud muffler or rice out your ride and chances are cops wont even think to look under the hood

The right to do ANYTHING you want to do to whatever you own. But from what I see about that CA law...riced out or not, if it attracts attention, more than likely they will pick you out of the crowd and pull you over just for the heck of it to see if there is anything they find that they could give you a ticket for. Now that's rediculous.

Take for example, my car, which is completely legal since it's basically still stock except for body mods, brake mods, suspension, exhaust, and wheels. The exhaust has a freeflow cat and resonator (smog legal), it's definitely not loud. It's comparable to that of a 350z stock exhaust sound. Completely muffled deep sound. Basically a clean, modded car..... Yet, one day I get pulled over for no reason and the cop couldn't find a reason why he pulled me over since I always wear my seatbelt and don't usually speed on city streets. But he made an excuse that modifying my exhaust is illegal. I'm like, whatever dude...tell that to the trucks and v8 cars with flowmasters and shit. Not to mention Harley motorcycles that are louder than most things on the road.

Basically he just let me go and wasted my time just cus my car is "different". It's a stupid reason to be late for work that my boss won't even believe me. Funny thing is, some tourists in a minivan sped by doing 10 mph over the speed limit while he was busy fuckin' around with me.....yeah, justice indeed.

That only happened once though. Cop looked young, so he musta been a rookie. Even so, even stupid little shit like that pisses me off....With that law, that kinda shit must happen ALL THE TIME over there in CA....I'm just sorry for you guys in CA if THERE IS such a law imposed right now over there.

Blah, anyways it's not a big deal for us here in FL. No such law exists here. Cops aren't cracking down on modded cars here, just the basic traffic violations like speeding and such. Doesn't matter what car you are in.

frantik
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
The right to do ANYTHING you want to do to whatever you own.
you can mod your car all you want.. you just can't drive it on city streets cause you don't own the streets.

my car's not legal either so it's not like i'm trying to preach or anything, i'm just saying that it comes with the territory.

and word on the harley thing... cops should go after them more than ricers.. harely's are so fucking loud just when they're idling.. anyone who drives one of those things must go deaf hella quickstyle

mkymonkey
08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
where did you get the code book? my friend had one since his dad was a cop...it was funny cuz it said something about no pimping...and you should not be able to hear the music of your car with in 50 ft

dude the full book is thick. we have one at the office. but i just went to the dmv site and printed out the sections in which i knew i would probably get pulled over for. like my lights and my music and shit like that. and yeah it does say that music coming from a car should not be able to be heard clearly over 50ft from where the car sits. ive gotten a ticket for that too. i actually walked out of my car with the officer and listened, then i just said ok...i guess you can hear it and took my ticket like a man lol. im usually nice to cops. every time i get pulled over i turn my car off, put the keys on the roof along with my registration, insurance and drivers license. plus you know when youre getting pulled over so i always pull over before they turn on their lights....most of the time i know im in the wrong. there has been like two times where a motor cop was sitting at an intersection and i was speeding...so i just pull over in front of him and say...sorry officer i know i was speeding lol. if youre nice to them sometimes they will treat you right and sometimes will let you go. plus i try to make them feel as comfortable as i can cuz well...im mexican and i live in ca! white cops always pull up to you with their hand on their gun :(

oh and you can also get the small versions of the vehicle code book from the dmv for 10 or so bucks. like i said the actual book is pretty think...its as big as a novel and like an inch and a half thick. it has everything and anything about vehicles and anything with wheels commercial or passenger cars.:)

MessyHonda
08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
dude the full book is thick. we have one at the office. but i just went to the dmv site and printed out the sections in which i knew i would probably get pulled over for. like my lights and my music and shit like that. and yeah it does say that music coming from a car should not be able to be heard clearly over 50ft from where the car sits. ive gotten a ticket for that too. i actually walked out of my car with the officer and listened, then i just said ok...i guess you can hear it and took my ticket like a man lol. im usually nice to cops. every time i get pulled over i turn my car off, put the keys on the roof along with my registration, insurance and drivers license. plus you know when youre getting pulled over so i always pull over before they turn on their lights....most of the time i know im in the wrong. there has been like two times where a motor cop was sitting at an intersection and i was speeding...so i just pull over in front of him and say...sorry officer i know i was speeding lol. if youre nice to them sometimes they will treat you right and sometimes will let you go. plus i try to make them feel as comfortable as i can cuz well...im mexican and i live in ca! white cops always pull up to you with their hand on their gun :(
oh and you can also get the small versions of the vehicle code book from the dmv for 10 or so bucks. like i said the actual book is pretty think...its as big as a novel and like an inch and a half thick. it has everything and anything about vehicles and anything with wheels commercial or passenger cars.:)

yeah maybe i can get it for free since my aunt works at the DMV...lol il ask her

Cheeseburger
08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
plus i try to make them feel as comfortable as i can cuz well...im mexican and i live in ca! white cops always pull up to you with their hand on their gun :(

:crying: ya i get the same thing. every time I'm talking to a cop they have there hands on the dam gun, it kinda looks like they are ready to knock me down or something :sadwave:

mkymonkey
08-09-2006, 11:18 PM
you can mod your car all you want.. you just can't drive it on city streets cause you don't own the streets.

my car's not legal either so it's not like i'm trying to preach or anything, i'm just saying that it comes with the territory.

and word on the harley thing... cops should go after them more than ricers.. harely's are so fucking loud just when they're idling.. anyone who drives one of those things must go deaf hella quickstyle

shit what about the sport bikes with the yoshimora mufflers or whatever. those are clearly mods.... the cvc also says that each bike has to have a license plate mounting braket that will clearly display the plate but some people just take that off and mount the plate kinda tilted away from view. i mean there are some things you can be very anal about if they really wanted to go after the cars that are modded.

but i do have to agree that if your car stands out more than others, you arent following the law, and not driving like a normal citizen (for lack of better description) cops are going to pull you over. especially if you freaking slam on the brakes as soon as you see a cop in front or behind you.

all i can say is that cops are doing their job, assholes or not. just like me people spit at me and threaten to kill me because i tow their car. its just my job someone has to do it and its just a job that was invented to clean up the community and remove people from private property that dont belong there. shit i wouldnt want some asshole that doesnt live there park in my spot that i pay for every month. same as i wouldnt want to get hit from behind by some idiot in a riced out honda rocket just because they were racing and not following the laws. shit it would be fine by me if cops pulled him over before he hit me. plus cops have saved me a few times from idiot people that want to run me over with their car or want to steal their car back from my yard. so im glad i pay their wage at the end of the year...i just dont like it when they pull ME over lol

anyway im done with this subject for the night...my finger tips hurt.

mkymonkey
08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
:crying: ya i get the same thing. every time I'm talking to a cop they have there hands on the dam gun, it kinda looks like they are ready to knock me down or something :sadwave:

i know what you mean hermano! lol but i for sure know if i pulled your ass over i would be pointing my gun at you from the get go! :lol: you look very suspecious sometimes hahahahahaha

Cheeseburger
08-09-2006, 11:21 PM
i know what you mean hermano! lol but i for sure know if i pulled your ass over i would be pointing my gun at you from the get go! :lol: you look very suspecious sometimes hahahahahaha
:crying:i get that allot :sadwave:

ICEMAN707
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
**ignore double-post**

ICEMAN707
08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
haha anyways, i think i've said my part of this discussion. i pray for you guys there in CA. your state has become very anal about everything. and to think, i wanted to move there. anyways, take it up with The Terminator if you guys think it's become a problem than it is a solution.

frantik
08-09-2006, 11:42 PM
damn it's not even legal to have colored courtesy lights (unless it's green)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25105.htm

kennyaccordlxi
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
just a way for the local government to make more money and catch up on ticket quotas. LOL