PDA

View Full Version : bogging

ghettogeddy
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
im haveing prob witht my car bogging in 1st and 2nd and i cant tell what is could it be cloged cat or an o2 sensor is is it something like the fuel filter or ignition coil any help would be great

oh and its doing it in between 2-3k rpm

shepherd79
08-10-2006, 05:26 AM
bogging means that you are not getting enough fuel.
check the fuel filters, and check the carb fuel bowl level. make sure it is in the middle or just above the middle mark.

ghettogeddy
08-10-2006, 06:02 AM
but its not consistent now its doing it in every gear but only every so often and its like it bogs then ill let my foot off the gas and slam it down and it will go then bog a little more and i do it again and then it goes but starts bogging agian after a change gears

labeledsk8r
08-10-2006, 06:58 AM
how long has it been since the fuel filters were changed?? i have seen many cars do that with cloged fuel filters, if they havent been done in a while id try that, even if it doesnt work they dont cost much and it helps with fuel milage

ghettogeddy
08-10-2006, 07:00 AM
ya ie never changed them my self i also have no clue were there located

labeledsk8r
08-10-2006, 07:15 AM
theres one in the engine bay just follow the red fuel line it will be right infront of the driver side there, its just a small little metal cylinder with flow markings on it, and then theres one in the back right infront of the driver side rear wheel, its plastic and sits in a holder type thing once again just fallow the fuel lines from the tank and it leads right 2 it, i think both filters come out to be around 16 bucks or someplace around there

ghettogeddy
08-10-2006, 07:49 AM
anyone have a pic or both of them so i make sure i get the right ones from rockauto

ya it does play catch up it bogs and then slowly goes up

is this the one that goes by the tank
http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=47&acpartnbr=GF593

i need to know do i just buy the push on one or the bolt on

well i changed the filters and it still bogs

yes a clutcj and flywheel other than that i went to a dif gas station, and this started a few days after my clutch was redone

oh and my power stering dosent work now as well but i havent figured that out yet, but my car was stolen no telling what they did to it
it almost sounds like its beeing choked and its trying to breath for air i just have a stong felling its the cat but how do i check it

2oodoor
08-10-2006, 08:30 AM
bogging means that you are not getting enough fuel.
check the fuel filters, and check the carb fuel bowl level. make sure it is in the middle or just above the middle mark.
Wait a second, can it not also mean too much fuel as well?
This one does sound like fuel filters though because it sounds like it is 'catching up' according to the symptom.

bakedboarder34
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
i know what your talking about, your timing has a part to play in that. i know cus my car would do that too. id have to run it hott to stop it from doing that, all you have to do is like they said check your fuel filters, and make sure your timing is right, which is super easy. it might help to really change your driving style if its still kinda bad, like i usualy dont take a hill unless im doing 2,600 rpms because your car just cant pull it in that gear, so watch throttle control, less throttle means better fuel economy, and less lugging, just be more gear conscience, our cars dont have the compression and displacement of those fuel injected models.

2oodoor
08-14-2006, 04:53 AM
well i changed the filters and it still bogs
So what do you want to do now? you have not wasted money by putting on filters I promise you. Search the forum bud..
What have you done recently to the car just before the problem showed up? mention any little thing. didnt you just put a clutch in?

2oodoor
08-14-2006, 08:30 AM
I am not sure about the 5 speed but my automatic has a line for the power steering feeding into the trans. You know it can be fifty diff things going on here so just check the simplest things and areas that have recently been messed with. I would check:
pwr steering fluid reservior on drivers side front fender, ONLY HONDA FLUID goes in it, check the belt to see if it is tight, when the car is running look at them , if there flopping around , they are not tight enough.
Check that the transmission oil was filled back up in case some was spilled out during the clutch job.
Make sure there is clutch pedal free play, in other words are you able to push down the pedal an inch or two before it disengages clutch, you should have free play, if not its burning the clutch cause its slightly disengauged while in gear, you would see your tach rise some the same time your getting the "bog"
True, there is a lot of funky gas out there right now, a week or so should clear that up
make sure eveything is plugged in that is supposed to be, in the bell housing area . Get a good flashlight and look around.
Sometimes things get pulled off because the harness is attached to things on the bell housing, like the elec choke wire, vacuum lines and wires to the frequency solenoids on the lower pass side inside fender. Ground strap on teh transmission.
The distributor could have been moved , it is right there, look at the bolts whre you loosen it to adjust, is there a clean spot where it might have been before but is now moved?
clean off the sight glass on the carb, to view the float level, you should see gas up to the middle line when its running.

Nothing pisses me off worse than lousy techs that fail to check their own work, such as doing a transmission and pulling on wires that go to computer sensors, then claim they had nothing to do with that they just rebuild the transmission, then they charge you for computer diagnostics and more parts you didnt need.s grrrrrrrr

not that this is your case Ghetto, I was just venting for a second.

ghettogeddy
08-14-2006, 09:04 AM
well i t wasent me that did the job i helped but for the most part my friend did it i did break the vacume advance dighphram but i didi that a week before it started running bad im thinking eather cat or bad gas cause the car was running fine after the clutch was done for about a week or so

2oodoor
08-17-2006, 03:46 AM
I have a pressure guage to test most cats, but Its easier sometimes to check it with infarred thermometer, like a raytec, there are some diy brands out there too. I run the veh then aim the laser pointer along the exhaust, its gonna be hot, but should not be like 1500 degrees F or like 400 deg more that pipe on either side of it. A muffler could stopp up the same way depending on design. A stopped up converter , after you run the car twenty minutes or better , will be cherrypurple red hot or you could like a stoggie off it.

2oodoor
08-28-2006, 05:44 PM
well i t wasent me that did the job i helped but for the most part my friend did it i did break the vacume advance dighphram but i didi that a week before it started running bad im thinking eather cat or bad gas cause the car was running fine after the clutch was done for about a week or so
Geddy, dude did you get the car running better yet???? I wish followups existed here like they used too..

ghettogeddy
08-28-2006, 06:02 PM
no its still doing the same thing but i think i also have a bad cv joint so, but i should be getting my fi swap soon so im gona wait till then and do a full exaust swap from the lxi

89StockLXi
08-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by ghettogeddy - it almost sounds like its beeing choked and its trying to breath for air i just have a stong felling its the cat but how do i check it

It could be your air filter? or your air box is not sealed all the way (but that usually happens only on fi cars). We had a similar prob when we had bad gas & put in octane boost until we filled at another gas station and it was fine.

ghettogeddy
08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
well i know my air box isent sealed but only on top

MessyHonda
08-28-2006, 07:50 PM
have you tried some seafoam....i just came from safeway and from the store i flored and and it pulls better...it could be in my mind but yeah. yeah dont mess with it since we are going to conver it. when is your next smog due?

ghettogeddy
08-28-2006, 07:51 PM
next march

MessyHonda
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
by that time it should be finished with the swap....didnt you have the civic airbox and SRI?....cuz i called my friend since her mom works at DMV....she still hasnt called....if she does not call i will call her tomorrow morning....:dunno:

ghettogeddy
08-28-2006, 08:04 PM
for what

MessyHonda
08-28-2006, 08:13 PM
for what

for my dx...like i said didnt you have the civic air box that you never got around to put on?

ghettogeddy
08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
ya
its in my trunk along with the short ram rodger gave me

A20A1
08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
so any updates... lists of what you did, didn't do yet?

ghettogeddy
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
well all ive done so far is the fuel filters when i get paid on friday im gona fix my half burnt thru o2 sensor wire ans see if it might just be shorting out, also could a bad ground make it stumble
i also need to look at my cv joint i think there bad now

2oodoor
08-29-2006, 04:05 PM
well all ive done so far is the fuel filters when i get paid on friday im gona fix my half burnt thru o2 sensor wire ans see if it might just be shorting out, also could a bad ground make it stumble
i also need to look at my cv joint i think there bad now
whom ever did clutch shoulda saw the cv boots busted. unless they stand to make money off ya, then they Make them bad for you by taking the grease out..I dont trust anybody working on my car, wellalmost nobody...
your air box HAS to be airtight to MAF then to TB or your MAF or IAT is not reading correctly.

frantik
08-29-2006, 04:13 PM
check your spark plugs.. i was getting bogging and hesitation on accelleration when one of the wires was loose.

88Accord-DX
08-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I've seen bogging caused from 1st to Last.

Fuel filter
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel pump
Catalytic Convertor
Fuel injectors
Coil pack
Distributor
PCM

A20A1
08-29-2006, 08:53 PM
MAF
TB
INJECTORS

What are you guys talking about he is carburted?

Or did you do the EFI swap?

ghettogeddy
08-29-2006, 08:59 PM
no i have not gone fi yet
ad for the cv joints we sisent take them alll the way out and if he was trying to make money off me he knows hes dead wrong cause he knows i can change a cv i did do my own springs and struts

MessyHonda
08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
MAF
TB
INJECTORS

What are you guys talking about he is carburted?

Or did you do the EFI swap?

well he has not done the swap yet....dont worry il make him do a thread on it.idk maybe we can start this weekend?

ghettogeddy
08-29-2006, 09:11 PM
that would be cool cause we can also finsh the srtuts in the back and it looks like i might have a civic box to sell lol damn and i paid 30 bucks for that thing

MessyHonda
08-29-2006, 09:26 PM
that would be cool cause we can also finsh the srtuts in the back and it looks like i might have a civic box to sell lol damn and i paid 30 bucks for that thing

put it on the 89.

messmerjos
02-18-2010, 06:00 AM
i saw that u said u were having problems with the power steering... im starting to have similiar problems... the pump is located on the tranny (idk y honda did it that way but they did) so check to see if theres power steering when the tranny is spinning faster. also dont mean to be an a$$ or all but check if theres power steering fluid... or make sure its not leaking from the resevour.. i was having a small problem with that

Tomisimo
02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
i saw that u said u were having problems with the power steering... im starting to have similiar problems... the pump is located on the tranny (idk y honda did it that way but they did) so check to see if theres power steering when the tranny is spinning faster. also dont mean to be an a$$ or all but check if theres power steering fluid... or make sure its not leaking from the resevour.. i was having a small problem with that

PS pump is not at the trany at all, its belt driven on the right side (from where you look on the engine) you mean where speedo cable goes? its not a pump.

Anyhow, Carb are alien to me..

Pico
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow the last post on this thread was in 2006, until today :lol:

ghettogeddy
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
hahahah that car has been in the jy for about 2 years now

and i figured the all the probs out it was just low on psf

the bogging was my secondary venture had come loose and the screw was missing so it was jsut bouncing around in there a member actually fixed that the day of the nor cal Berkly meet