PDA

View Full Version : Please help diagnosis: Front End noise

visionguru
08-09-2006, 09:43 AM
My 3G Accord has the following noise issue: When go over small hump in low speed, I can hear "ka-ka" noise come from both left and right. I checked the ball-joints, and they seemed fine.

The noise is not loud, and I never heard it when driving.

With the hood up, I listen while pushing down on top of the wheel wall, the "ka-ka" seems from the strut/spring assembly. Anyone had similar issues? What's your diagnosis?
Thanks.

ottomatic
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
sounds like the uca bushings,
the bolt actually, connecting the uca to the uca mounts.
bushing(s) get worn, bolt gets play inside bushing.

mine makes the same sound.

just a thought.

DBMaster
08-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I felt no play in mine at all, but it turned out to be the upper control arm bushings and upper ball joints, just as Otto stated above.

Now that both UCA's have been replaced there is no more noise.

ottomatic
08-09-2006, 12:45 PM
i installed new uca's (non replaceable ball-joint).
new bushings (which suck), seals, bolt, everything... damn thing rattles worse now.

visionguru
08-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the hints, guys.

The UCA and bushings are new. I'm pretty sure that's not the source.

Sound like spring related, because everytime I pushed (not a hard push) the left-front or right front, I can hear "ka", and then "ka" when I released it.

Will sway bar links/bushings cause this type of noise? ideas?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Make sure those bushings are greased properly. They will make the noise you describe if they are binding due to lack of grease or overtightening. HTH

DBMaster
08-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes, I should have mentioned the overtightening as well. My right one was making the noise you describe and it quieted down after loosening the nut for the UCA mount just a hair.

Oldblueaccord
08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Theres a strut bushing up there in the strut. I think its just a foam piece in the top end someplace. Make sure the UCA are secure to the frame up there. Nuts are kinda hard to get at.

wp