PDA

View Full Version : spark plug problem

LiTtLe xOx BitT
08-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I have a little problem. When i put in new spark plugs one of them only threads in half way, im guessing its cross threaded. Any ideas on what i can do and how it will effect the car? I started it up and it didnt sound like it was misfiring.

sunderland
08-09-2006, 04:12 PM
When you take the plug out, aluminum shavings on the plug threads will indicate that the threads in your cyclinder head have been cross threaded. Find an appropriate sized tap (I think most auto parts stores carry them) to clean up the threads. Use lots of lubricant while carefully threading the tap in. Get it started with your fingers before using the handle/ratchet. Of course, the safest method would be to let an experienced machinest do the job. If the threads are too far gone, you may need to use a heli-coil.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
there were no shavings anywhere.

sunderland
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
there were no shavings anywhere.
If you didn't see any shavings, that's good news. Are you sure it only went in half way? Put a little lubricant on the spark plug threads and carefully try it again. Sometimes it just doesn't seem right, but perhaps it's O.K. Carefully compare to the other three plugs.

A18A
08-10-2006, 05:08 PM
maybe you didnt put it in right?? i find them a bitch to get them going in properly but if it runs fine like you said, it must suposed to be the way it goes in if you cant turn it in anymore.. as long as it doesnt shoot outta your car it should be good :D