PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding carb. (carb noob)

labeledsk8r
08-10-2006, 03:40 AM
allright well i am now to the point that i have located a smokeing problem that i had listed in another thread, i am going to replace all seals on the carb and thought i might as well rebuild the carb aswell to play things safe, but i need some quick info becuse my cash flow isnt the best right now.

1st what all gaskets are needed? is there a kit or something i can order online, or pick up localy? and price range

2nd whats the best way to get a carb rebuild money wise? my car cant have alot of down time considering i need it just about every day for work. does anyplace like napa or autozone do a core swap?

im still new to this carb stuff so yeah, im kinda limited on time and money, but mostly have to get the car ready to be able to drive almost acrose the US if it has 2 so any help would be great on a good recomendation to pick up these items, thanks

shepherd79
08-10-2006, 05:25 AM
here are answers:
1. yes, there are kits available at Advance auto or Autozone. The not that expensive $30-40.
2. The best way to do it is on weekend. Make sure you get a can of parts cleaner and carb leaner. After you take the carb out clean everything inside and out.
make sure you remember what you removed.

labeledsk8r
08-10-2006, 06:55 AM
allright, how easy is the rebuild?? this is my first carb ever even touching. autozone doesnt stock the carb anymore, atleast in my city, ima check a few other places to see if i can even do a core swap, if not ima be stuck to rebuild myself. so do these rebuild kits have good step by steps or should i just remember really well how it came apart and put it back looking exactly the same.. thanks

ghettogeddy
08-10-2006, 06:59 AM
there are little to no instrutions with the kit i bought one a while back but returned it due to needing money

labeledsk8r
08-10-2006, 07:15 AM
oh great... this should be fun...

2oodoor
08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
If you have never rebuilt a carb, that one is a bit complicated one to start on. You would be better off getting a rebuilt one or find a decent clean junkyard carb. Since you depend on the vehicle and cant have it down very long, yes get a reman carb. Shop around by phone, and also check out the internet. I found a good carb exchange place outta arizona that has unusual carbs you cant find most places.
You may even check out this forum, someone may have one for sale.
Yes, make sure you pay very careful attention what goes where, there are a lot of connections on these things.
Also, there are so many other things involving the carb that can cause "carb problems" that can be resolved without replaceing the main 'unit'
BTW is that your car with the flipped lid air cleaner at the meet in FLA?

labeledsk8r
08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
allright, im still checking around in town, seems as if people dont even know what a carb is at half these places,

and no that wasnt my car, i wasnt able to make it to the meet, and i have a custom hacked lid

2oodoor
08-11-2006, 04:38 AM
allright, im still checking around in town, seems as if people dont even know what a carb is at half these places,
and no that wasnt my car, i wasnt able to make it to the meet, and i have a custom hacked lid
YOU MAY need to look at the jobber stores , like warehouse type autoparts supply instead of AZ or Advance. Yes carb gurus are becoming extinct, luckily there are a some very good ones on this forum.

88Accord-DX
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
I used to sell rebuilt carbs on here for a hobby. Here is a pic of one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/carb1.jpg