PDA

View Full Version : Help with JDM model names....(NZ the same?)

Hash_man_Se_i
08-10-2006, 11:51 PM
OK, so I am looking at importing an Accord from Japan, because i'll be able to get one with a good body for a pretty decent price.

Anyways... I am trying to figure out what some of the Japanese model names mean. Obviously I know about the 2.0si, and I have heard of the EF extra or whatever its called, if I remember correctly, thats basically like an ex-i or lx-i.

Anyone else know other model names from Japan?
cuz I dont really need a 2.0si, all I need is a sunroof, and all power options.

THanks,
Jason:)

Cheeseburger
08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
how much would is it giong to be to import it from jp???

epic1400cs
08-11-2006, 03:53 AM
It is very brief one but gives you an idea.
Accord (http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/ACCORD/1985-C/ac85-C-011.html)
Aerodeck (http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/ACCORD/1985-C/ac85-C-012.html)
Vigor (http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/ACCORD/1985-C/ac85-C-013.html)

2.0 DOHC = B20A + EFI
1.8 DOHC = B18 + twin carb
1.8 SOHC = A18 + single carb

Later there are more variations, like EU spec 4door saloon with fixed light, F1 special edition, and SuperStage, etc. If you want to have all the accessories, try 2.0Si or at least 1.8 DOHC model, especially later model(87 March- with better toys). Off my head, full auto air con, digital counter(very rare), tilt+slide sunroof are factory option for Si. Foldable mirror is standard for later model Si. Twin piston caliper is standard for all Si.

If you are looking for good body, Japan is not very good place to look actually. Very humid and a lot of rain. Or California is much better they say. They say JDM body was not given good rust proof and structural strength compare to EU models. However, there are some people in Japan who kept these cars in a garage so you never know. South West Japan in general is good climate for cars but north Japan has snow and they use salt on the road. Good luck.

Hash_man_Se_i
08-11-2006, 09:05 AM
^^^ Thanks... and ya the car would be from southern japan, as I know the problems that can arise from northern cars.

And I have several friends who have imported cars and the bodies have been in great shape, however I considered getting a car from california, but its a pain in the ass, and I have no idea where to even start looking.

epic1400cs
08-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I have several friends who have imported cars and the bodies have been in great shape
If you know the good and professional route to import them from Japan then that would be the best. I have heard that exporting used car is now big business in Japan. It means, huge amount of old but very good condition cars are exported. You might have better chance to find good sample than people in Japan. Are you looking for 4Dr or Aerodeck?

Cheeseburger
08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
tell ur exporter to bring some b20 with manual transition!

Hash_man_Se_i
08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm looking for a 4dr sedan. I have been watching the auctions and have only seen a couple go across the auction block in the past month or so.

And epic, I think a big reason for export out of japan of used cars getting better is because there are many companies in Canada now importing vehicles from there. Main reason being because of our 15yr rule, and now many good cars are legal for import ie: r32 GTR, s13 silvia, and soon FD3S rx7

epic1400cs
08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm looking for a 4dr sedan. I have been watching the auctions and have only seen a couple go across the auction block in the past month or so.
And epic, I think a big reason for export out of japan of used cars getting better is because there are many companies in Canada now importing vehicles from there. Main reason being because of our 15yr rule, and now many good cars are legal for import ie: r32 GTR, s13 silvia, and soon FD3S rx7
Yeah, if the car is nearly 20 years old, it might be rather rare to see it in car auction in Japan but still possible. If you are looking for a 4Dr, later type Si(with black cam cover) would be good. I wish your good luck to find a F1 edition(Si+Black interior+Halogen Lights+rear spoiler+alloys?). I have heard 1.8 DOHC is also great but twin carb might be a trouble if you dont have secure parts supply.

So Canadian Goverment is supporting Drift Competition then. Thats cool.:thumbup:

Hash_man_Se_i
08-11-2006, 05:52 PM
^^^ Hahah, we have actually had some fairly good drift events here lately, I'm hopefully gonna go see one in a couple weeks. www.d-sport.ca

And ya, the thing is, I dont care if it is an Si, but it needs to be fuel injected because I am going to be swapping in a newer b-series motor. Although an Si would be nice because of parts like the brakes and such.

A18A
08-11-2006, 10:47 PM
there's also GF Extra aswell, but every GF Extra i seen has fixed head lights, so you might not want that. there's also Super Stage, GXL, MXL (vigor), EXL, EXL-S i know theres more but i forgot them

Hash_man_Se_i
08-11-2006, 11:42 PM
^^ So, now what do those model names mean? And ya fixed headlights are kinda fugly.

A18A
08-12-2006, 12:25 AM
^^ So, now what do those model names mean? And ya fixed headlights are kinda fugly.
i dont know, i just seen the emblems hehehe. but i can guess for some i suppose..
ive seen 4 GXLs all with fixed headlights, i think they only came in 88 - 89 wouldnt really know. and umm yeah... trademe might help you a bit :)

epic1400cs
08-12-2006, 02:44 AM
GF Extra = I don't know, may be a variant of fixed light 'CA' model (help me if you know any)
Super Stage (9/88-)

1.8 SOHC SuperStage (Pop up light with A18)
2.0 SOHC SuperStage (Pop up light with A20)
1.8 SOHC CA SuperStage (EUDM type fixed light with A18)
2.0 SOHC CA2.0 SuperStage (EUDM type fixed light with A20)
Basically SuperStage has some delux toys (rear duck tail spoiler, electric foldable mirror) to get rid of all the stock from Honda warehouse before the arrival of 4th gen CB Accord..
GXL(1.8) = 1.8 SOHC, Single Carb Fixed Light (7/87-)
GXL(2.0) = 2.0 SOHC, Single Carb Fixed Light, A/T only (am I right?) (7/87-)
MXL (vigor) = 1.8 SOHC (6/85-)
EXL = 1.8 SOHC (6/85-)
EXL-S = 1.8 DOHC (6/85-)

A18A
08-12-2006, 03:19 AM
MXL (vigor) = 1.8 SOHC (6/85-)

im pretty sure theres also 2.0 MXL vigors, im positivly! surrreeeeeeeee

i also THINK the GF Extra (GF meaning Goes Fast :P) was just a basic model seeing i've seen a few on trademe with no features, along with my dead 1 aswell. still had A/C P/S and elec mirrors though, but no elec windows or heater controls or central locking. and didnt some models of the 3gee come with heated mirrors?!?!?!?!?!?!? that would be awsome

epic1400cs
08-12-2006, 02:59 PM
im pretty sure theres also 2.0 MXL vigors, im positivly! surrreeeeeeeee

i also THINK the GF Extra (GF meaning Goes Fast :P) was just a basic model seeing i've seen a few on trademe with no features, along with my dead 1 aswell. still had A/C P/S and elec mirrors though, but no elec windows or heater controls or central locking. and didnt some models of the 3gee come with heated mirrors?!?!?!?!?!?!? that would be awsome
I am refering to this page at Honda in Japan.
http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/ACCORD/1985-C/ac85-C-013.html
It doesn't say about other variations produced later so if you have seen MXL 2.0 then it must be one of those new variation, I gess.
I will ask about GF to my friend in Japan.
The heated mirror is optional parts. In fact, this heated mirror is from 1st gen legend - same parts number, I have heard.

2drSE-i
08-13-2006, 12:24 AM
damnit i want the rear deck and tails from the vigor........

Steve_Si
08-13-2006, 05:04 PM
The MF/GF Extra/whatever is a heap of crap.

All you should be concerned about is the 2.0Si (optional climate control) and the 2.0Si Exclusive (leather, climate control and electric seats) and the 2.0Si Formula One edition. Some may be badged as a EX 2.0i-16 but I think that is a NZDM car. This all goes for both the Accord and Vigor.

The EXL-S has a 1.8 DOHC but it's not injected and has optional climate control. The EXL is proably a 1.8 SOHC carby. These models will also have all electrics etc. Sunroof is an option on all models. The Vigors will probably be called a GXL or MXL or something, but will be the same.

Electric folding mirrors are only on the 87+ facelift model

epic1400cs
08-13-2006, 09:49 PM
All you should be concerned about is the 2.0Si (optional climate control) and the 2.0Si Exclusive (leather, climate control and electric seats) and the 2.0Si Formula One edition. Some may be badged as a EX 2.0i-16 but I think that is a NZDM car.
I agree. But what is 'EX 2.0i-16'? I thought Austrarian/NZ models are with A20(12 valves) rather than B20(16 valves).

Hash_man_Se_i
08-13-2006, 10:55 PM
^^6 Thanks for all the help guys,

A18A
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree. But what is 'EX 2.0i-16'? I thought Austrarian/NZ models are with A20(12 valves) rather than B20(16 valves).
we came with B20's and A20's :D

Steve_Si
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM

It's a full on B20A DOHC 16v model similar to the Si Exclusive, was sold new in NZ but is very rare.

epic1400cs
08-14-2006, 03:50 AM
It's a full on B20A DOHC 16v model similar to the Si Exclusive, was sold new in NZ but is very rare.
Was it sold all the model year, 85-89, or just limited time? I am very interested in to find more about it. Any pics?

Steve_Si
08-14-2006, 04:10 AM
I don't know when they started making it, but the last year they made it was actually 1990, long after they stopped making similar models in Japan. They would not have been made before 1987, but it's probably more like 88 or 89 before they started.

Like all NZDM 3G they had the 85-86 JDM style lights and bumpers. NZDM cars never got the 87 JDM facelift.

No pics sorry. I remember a red manual one with a very nice bodykit that used to cruise around, always saw it parked next to Honda Cars main dealership. That was many years ago now :(

frantik
08-14-2006, 04:39 AM
damnit i want the rear deck and tails from the vigor........

rear bumper too ;) thats where plate goes

A18A
08-14-2006, 04:56 AM
vigor rear bumpers are good if you shave the boot :)

epic1400cs
08-14-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't know when they started making it, but the last year they made it was actually 1990, long after they stopped making similar models in Japan. They would not have been made before 1987, but it's probably more like 88 or 89 before they started.

Probably, simillar to EUDM 2.0 16v. EUDM (fixed light) 2.0 16v was introduced in 88 but with early type exterior (bumpers etc) and interior, plus rear spoiler and of course with B20 plus black interior (am I right thegreatdane?). I assume Austraria/NZ model were made in Japan (correct me if I am wrong cos I dont have any info about it). If you look at the VIN/chassis number and started with JHM then its made in Japan. All EUDM are made in Japan by the way.

Like all NZDM 3G they had the 85-86 JDM style lights and bumpers. NZDM cars never got the 87 JDM facelift.

Again it is same as EUDM. We never had face lift. But in detail,
1)very early car has different meter/counter panel - the fuel and temp gauge needles are pointing outside rather than inside
2)later injected cars came with bigger front brake roters
There might be more differences but I can't remember cos its early morning..

frantik
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
wow lots of good info in this thread im gonna use some of it to start a new wikipedia page on third gen accords sometime soon :D

ESDEEZ
08-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Waydaminit. Are you saying that there could be some 3gees about with more kit than most new cars i.e HEATED FOLDING MIRRORS? What else did honda offer those japs eh?

A18A
08-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Waydaminit. Are you saying that there could be some 3gees about with more kit than most new cars i.e HEATED FOLDING MIRRORS? What else did honda offer those japs eh?
i think a 3gee with all the features will have:

central locking
elec windows
elec mirrors
folding mirrors
heated mirrors
heated seats (not sure)
head light washers/wipers
elec heater controls
elec sunroof
tweeters in dome light area?
light for the mirror thingy that you fold down in passenger seat
equalizer
elec ariel
rear wiper
spoilers
cruise control
elec raising drivers seat???
the old brick phone :lol:
car covers
window visors

im sure theres more, just cant remember them. but i think there aint enough spots in the dash/center console for all the buttons anyways lol.

ESDEEZ
08-15-2006, 05:43 AM
i think a 3gee with all the features will have:

central locking
elec windows
elec mirrors
folding mirrors
heated mirrors
heated seats (not sure)
head light washers/wipers
elec heater controls
elec sunroof
tweeters in dome light area?
equalizer
elec ariel
rear wiper
spoilers
cruise control
elec raising drivers seat???
the old brick phone :lol:
car covers
window visors

im sure theres more, just cant remember them. but i think there aint enough spots in the dash/center console for all the buttons anyways lol.

One word. *DROOL*

okay 2 words: *MEGA DROOL*

Steve_Si
08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Don't forget about the factory fitted fog lights. I've never seen seperate tweeters, but my first Si did have a silly 5" woofer fitted behind the tape deck. The surround of the speaker was all brittle, it took me ages to work out why I was getting such a weird sound even though I'd fitted new speakers to the doors. Instead of bypassing it, I went to Strong Bros Honda and found another one in good condition and hooked it up, didn't sound that bad :) Few weeks later though I ripped it all out and fitted good Infinity/Pioneer/MTX/Rockford sounds.

A18A
08-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Don't forget about the factory fitted fog lights. I've never seen seperate tweeters, but my first Si did have a silly 5" woofer fitted behind the tape deck. The surround of the speaker was all brittle, it took me ages to work out why I was getting such a weird sound even though I'd fitted new speakers to the doors. Instead of bypassing it, I went to Strong Bros Honda and found another one in good condition and hooked it up, didn't sound that bad :) Few weeks later though I ripped it all out and fitted good Infinity/Pioneer/MTX/Rockford sounds.
oh yeah, forgot bout fog lights, didnt some come with pop-up foglights or something like that? i remember reading something like that around somewere

Steve_Si
08-15-2006, 01:11 PM
oh yeah, forgot bout fog lights, didnt some come with pop-up foglights or something like that? i remember reading something like that around somewere

I think the F1 has them, they actually have something like F1 written on the covers of the fog lights, and when you turn the fog lights on the covers automatically retract.

All this talk makes me miss my old 3G :( Although in a way my JDM Gen 6 reminds me alot of my old 3G, that's probably why I like it so much :) Perhaps I should rip off the SiR-T and Torneo badges and find some 3G 2.0Si and Accord badges :P

L3G10N
08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I think the F1 has them, they actually have something like F1 written on the covers of the fog lights, and when you turn the fog lights on the covers automatically retract.
All this talk makes me miss my old 3G :( Although in a way my JDM Gen 6 reminds me alot of my old 3G, that's probably why I like it so much :) Perhaps I should rip off the SiR-T and Torneo badges and find some 3G 2.0Si and Accord badges :P

i have in my hand the SuperStage2.0 Accord badge:)

Steve_Si
08-15-2006, 06:35 PM
i have in my hand the SuperStage2.0 Accord badge:)

Hehe hate to say it, but the SuperStage JDM model is a basic thing. Not sure what it means, but you never see it on a B20A model.

I guess the best badge would be the 2.0Si Exclusive, as that is the top JDM model.

epic1400cs
08-15-2006, 10:59 PM
There seems to be some categories when you talk about the equipment level of our car. (I made up these categories now :D )

1) Specification - each model (like 2.0Si or Ex) are designed with standard equipment level (like coloured bumper)
2) Factory option - Honda optional parts you have to order when you buy the car. The parts must be fitted at the stage of its production (like sunroof, colour of interior)
3) Dealer option - Honda optional parts you can buy at the dealer. Ranging from one with major work needed (like aircon) to very simple stuff (like shoe box, rubbish bin, car mat)

Steve_Si
08-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Looks like i've made a mistake. The 2.0i-16 is a badge for the NZDM 2nd and 3rd gen Prelude. The B20A NZ car is actually the EX-2.0i, saw one today for the first time in ages.

AccordB20A
08-16-2006, 12:02 AM
woops....doble post

AccordB20A
08-16-2006, 12:04 AM
my features are now ....

jdm b20a with manual transmition
cruize control (now removed)
elect mirrors
elec windows
f1 interior n shit
air refiner
climate control heater
central locking
elec ariel
spoilers
window visors
externally amplified 6" subwooder behind the center console
rectractable rear seatbelts
220 km/h gauge cluster
OEM lip
what im after:

power folding mirrors
cup holders
andthatsaboutit :)

AccordB20A
08-16-2006, 12:05 AM
did i miss anything???

L3G10N
08-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Hehe hate to say it, but the SuperStage JDM model is a basic thing. Not sure what it means, but you never see it on a B20A model.
I guess the best badge would be the 2.0Si Exclusive, as that is the top JDM model.

i already know this, but it's still one of REALLY rare badge to find!

ESDEEZ
08-16-2006, 04:43 AM
hey guys im really interrested in the f1 3g. How many were made and does anyone have any pics?

epic1400cs
08-16-2006, 05:23 AM
did i miss anything???
You missed OEM optional seat cover - ugly as hell though

Steve_Si
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
hey guys im really interrested in the f1 3g. How many were made and does anyone have any pics?

They look just like a standard white 1986 2.0Si. They have 14" alloy wheels instead of the standard 13" steel rims/hubcaps. They have a F1 sticker on the rear doors and they have a black interior with F1 written on the seats.

Here is one that's been left to rot http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Honda/Other/auction-66608576.htm

A18A
08-16-2006, 12:27 PM
i would get that if i had the money, and some way to pick it up. or trademe my car for it :lol: