PDA

View Full Version : need help!!!!!!! now!!!!!!!!!

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
alright i need help really bad!!!!! my car is sitting on the side of highways since last night. i was driving my car and all of a sudden the lights started dimming, the radio turns off, my lights go completely dead, and the car just wouldnt go. :wtf: the car would not turn back on!!!!!!! so we jump started, and i started driving again, then the same shit happened, but this time the little battery light came on. what the hell could have happened to my car!?!?!? its been running so good then all of a sudden this happens!! :thumbdn: come on people someone help me!!!!!!:help:

2oodoor
08-11-2006, 07:24 AM
alternator or main relay, check battery cable/terminal connections first

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
alternator or main relay, check battery cable/terminal connections first

would that happen all of a sudden???? it was perfect before, the alternator was just replaced about a year ago :(

ghettogeddy
08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
its the alt for sure my car did the same thing

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 07:39 AM
lol, now i need to find out where the hell theres a jy around here lol. this sux!!!!!!! :rant:

ghettogeddy
08-11-2006, 07:42 AM
just get i new one and if u only replaced it a year ago it should still be under warrenty unless u bought the 1 year one, i know mines good for like 6 years i belive

Cheeseburger
08-11-2006, 07:46 AM
ya where did u buy it??? don't tell me the j/y cuz boy ill slap you over the head! u might know this but if u don't hey something new to learn if you get ur car to start and disconnect the battery while the car is on, if the car turns off then its ur alternator.

EX-ileAccord
08-11-2006, 08:19 AM
I'll trade you and alt for your intake manifold lol

ghettogeddy
08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
ya where did u buy it??? don't tell me the j/y cuz boy ill slap you over the head! u might know this but if u don't hey something new to learn if you get ur car to start and disconnect the battery while the car is on, if the car turns off then its ur alternator.
if ur talking to me i got mine a kragen

A18A
08-11-2006, 09:56 AM
it shouldnt go off all of a sudden with a shitty alt though :S usually a shitty alt the batt light comes one, then your car is running off the battery and should be able to at least drive for another hour at LEAST if your battery is strong enough to start the car. if your lights just went dim all of a sudden, it might be a short in your battery or alt wires somewhere??? you should start your car with the battery from the other car and follow the other car with everything on your car off

ghettogeddy
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
would that happen all of a sudden???? it was perfect before, the alternator was just replaced about a year ago :(
do u have a amp and subs a swear that when mine went my lights went dim and my stereo shut off then i rolled into a gas station then i had them check the batery at kragen and i bought a new one cause they said it was bad but it still died so i had them run a check on the alt but it came back saying it was charging so i went ahead a replaced anywas and it hasent died scence

aerokid1987
08-11-2006, 10:21 AM
ya it's gotta be the alternator...

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
do u have a amp and subs a swear that when mine went my lights went dim and my stereo shut off then i rolled into a gas station then i had them check the batery at kragen and i bought a new one cause they said it was bad but it still died so i had them run a check on the alt but it came back saying it was charging so i went ahead a replaced anywas and it hasent died scence

nope no system for me, too much weight :D i still have to go pick up the car lol, its sitting on the side of the highway :thumbdn: ill have to check maybe its just a fuse or something. ill let you guys know. oh EX-ileAccord, ill sell you the b16 one already modded to just bolt on :deal: i also have a maroon armrest :D i need money people!!!!!!!

2oodoor
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Some FACTS: It is never a good idea to test alt by disconnecting one wire one the battery to see it if still runs, ... but sometimes you dont have a choice huh
IF the battery is shorted it wont take a charge from a good alt., the extreme hot weather kills batteries
IF the alt goes out while riding you have to remember its running the elec fuel pump too, things will slow down quickley!!!

ghettogeddy
08-11-2006, 11:21 AM
well if u come across a blue armrest let me know

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Some FACTS: It is never a good idea to test alt by disconnecting one wire one the battery to see it if still runs, ... but sometimes you dont have a choice huh
IF the battery is shorted it wont take a charge from a good alt., the extreme hot weather kills batteries
IF the alt goes out while riding you have to remember its running the elec fuel pump too, things will slow down quickley!!!

well do you think it couldve been the Vegas 115* weather that couldve maybe killed the battery :Owned:

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
well if u come across a blue armrest let me know

if i find one around here ill let you have it first :thumbup:

ghettogeddy
08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
well do you think it couldve been the Vegas 115* weather that couldve maybe killed the battery :Owned:

its posable but nit likely seeing your engine bay reguarly get hoter then that

gfrg88
08-11-2006, 12:05 PM
its posable but nit likely seeing your engine bay reguarly get hoter then that

well i wasnt driving it, it was getting towed so it was just sitting there, could that have been the problem (with the heat)??

89T
08-11-2006, 12:07 PM
check for a bad ground wire connection.
the chances are if you had you'r stereo cranked up and all you'r light's were on, while having a bad ground it would do exactly as you described.
basicialy you were pulling more amps than the alt could supply.
my 2 cents.

Cheeseburger
08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
if ur talking to me i got mine a kragen

oh no bro i was talking to gio.

MECM
08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
What is so wrong with getting a alt from a J/Y? I got mine from u-pull it and it has worked fine. Probably not for as long as my other one considering that the brushes were a little low. Oh and I pulled mine out and got a brush kit for it so I have new brushes and a spare in my garage for when it goes out.....Again.

lostforawhile
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
if you try to jump start a car with a dead battery and the alt is bad, it will do that,jump start is only supposed to start the car until the alternator comes on and starts charging the battery. if the alt is bad,the small amount of current that was in the battery will quickly run out. eithier take your battery out and take it to somewhere like autozone or advance where they have free charging. charge it back up,then you will be able to hopefully drive home. you need to cut off all electrical loads,stereo,ac etc. you will be running the computer,the ignition,and the fuel pump,or just go put another battery in there drive it home and fix the alternator. if your alternator was already weak it may have been barely keeping the battery charged and finally died. if the battery was going bad it could have eaisily killed the alternator. did you say you replaced the alternator a year ago? if it's the same battery the alternator may have been charging on full load constantly since you replaced it and finally poof! if you had a battery already run down when your new alternator was put in,trying to charge it fully from the new alternator may have weakened it. (the alternator) an automotive alternator is not designed to charge a dead battery all the way back up,thats where so many people go wrong, it just keeps it topped up. when your car is running ,everything actually runs off the alternator most of the time. the battery is supposed to be for starting. if it was trying to run the car and rechage a severly discharged battery at the same time,it might have been damaged. it's very common for a bad alternator to damage a battery,then the battery damages the new alternator,or a battery already bad damages the alternator. if your alternator goes out,and your battery isn't new,I would say replace the battery at the same time. or at least have it tested.

2oodoor
08-14-2006, 03:49 AM
What that means is the extreme heat will kill an otherwise borderline battery, not ALL freaking batteries.
Also lostforawhile, very good explanation... I understand it, you understand it, but a huge percent of techs(or parts replacers) and owners just dont have a clue. You cant blame the owner , they just want the friggin car fixed.
I constantly preach that you should turn off everything everytime you park a car, AC, any hi amp draw accessories. but nobody ever listens. When you have fans and amps and stuff running while your cranking the car, the alternator is working is ever lovin ass off to restore the battery to peak learned charge.

Cheeseburger
08-14-2006, 08:12 AM
so did u fix it???

2oodoor
08-14-2006, 09:01 AM
so did u fix it???
Sir Cheeseburger is breaking his 3.27 PPD today yes?

Cheeseburger
08-14-2006, 09:12 AM
no.... i just wanted to see how my amigo Gio was doing.

mkymonkey
08-14-2006, 09:15 AM
dude an rebuilt alty costs 80-120 or so. not bad...and yeah i bet you probably did get your alty from the jy. knowing you shit...you'd get your clothes at the jy if they existed lol....you're just a born jy junkie. anyway good luck bud

Cheeseburger
08-14-2006, 09:18 AM
my moms car just got a new alty and it came out to 115 with trade in of the old alty and it comes with life time warranty

mkymonkey
08-14-2006, 09:23 AM
see? its not expensive.....

Cheeseburger
08-14-2006, 09:27 AM
and the best shit is that u get a life time warranty

gfrg88
08-14-2006, 12:35 PM
dude an rebuilt alty costs 80-120 or so. not bad...and yeah i bet you probably did get your alty from the jy. knowing you shit...you'd get your clothes at the jy if they existed lol....you're just a born jy junkie. anyway good luck bud

shut up bitch!!!! quit hating :lol: no i didnt get it a jy i had my other one rebuilt by a local shop. my dad told me yesterday that he shorted the alt out but had forgot :slap: but yeah i just spent 180 on a new one and already have the car running. now i need to get some stiffer engine mounts aka weld the motor mounts :rockon:

B16KILLA
08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Where was I when this thread started ? ( :bong: ) It's good to hear you back out on the road Gio. You should start replacing other stuff that hasnt been replaced in a while. If you dont do it know you'll regret it in the winter. I hear winter are tough out there when you need to get parts or work on your car.
Goodluck.

2oodoor
08-17-2006, 03:37 AM
guys your should think about how long your gonna keep your car and how hard it is to repl alternator, if yo get the el cheapo, most likely it is remanufacter, all they do to those is clean them up and repl brushes, machine the stator if it is in decent condition, and test the electronic regulars. If these item just pass specs all you get is a cleaned up alternator and a year warrenty.they dont put in new electronics dudes,if it just passes so you could get a 20 year old reg in that 'new" alt. It is best to get NEW alt, it has all new parts, and lifetime warrenty.Cost more but they dont compensate you for your time and labor for the defective alt they sold you!!!!...FYI this varys from one rebuider to another but that is what they can get by selling you.

lostforawhile
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
just becaue it's got a lifetime warranty dosn't mean crap,look at advance and autozone,sure they have a lifetime warranty,but you'll have to keep bringing them back over and over. I got a Nappa one and have been happy with it,they have a reputation to uphold and if they sold crap,they couldn't do that. remember on these cars,there is supposed to be a splash shield under the alternator,but I've only seen one on a car. everytime you hit a deep puddle,you soak the alternator this makes them prone to fail over time. I'm thinking of pulling that shield at the yard and modifing it, it covers the entire corner of the engine,there is a hole in it for the strut rod to come through.

jayton
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I hate it that honda designs these damn things where the alternator is mounted so low. It makes it such a pain in the ass to change it out. I agree with you guys, because of the labor involved in swapping it out, the autozone lifetime warranty is not a good deal for these cars. I have been lucky so far and have the original alternator in there.

Now for my Mustang on the other hand, the alternator sits right on top of the engine, 3 bolts and a lead wire and a plug. Absolutely zero labor involved, I can have it out in 3-4 minutes. I have the lifetime autozone warranty for it, and I have had to take them back 3 times now. One of them was shot the day I brought it home , so I had to take it back up there 15 minutes later. I feel it was a good deal.

James

A18A
08-18-2006, 01:33 PM
it's aloooooooot easier 2 do things in a RHD 3gee :)

B16KILLA
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Now for my Mustang on the other hand, the alternator sits right on top of the engine, 3 bolts and a lead wire and a plug. Absolutely zero labor involved, I can have it out in 3-4 minutes.
James

Thats pretty quick. The last time I had to pull my alternator on my 3g. it was in the rain so I got it done in excatly 4 mins. :)

A18A
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
it took me 4 months to get the alt outta my car.. took me 20 mins 2 get it out the other 1 though cause it had no pivot bolt, but it was jammed in there pretty damn tight :(

89T
08-18-2006, 07:10 PM
i like the lifetime warranty, i have 5000 watt stereo in my truck and replace them every year.

Blkblurr
08-19-2006, 05:41 AM
Something similar happened to me in my 2000 Accord Coupe. The alt had a short in it and drained the battery in just a few minutes. The alt got so hot you couldn't touch it.

lostforawhile
08-19-2006, 07:06 AM
on ours they had enough sense to fuse the alternator at the fusebox,you wouldn't believe how many car fires are started by bad alternators in other cars.

A18A
08-19-2006, 02:40 PM
wtf alts causing fires :S hows that

lostforawhile
08-19-2006, 02:54 PM
wtf alts causing fires :S hows thaton a lot of cars theres a wire going directly from the battery to the alternator b post with no kind of short circuit protection whatsoever. a short inside the alternator can go directly from the battery to the alternator case which is grounded to the engine of course, so it's a dead short between the battery and ground. in this case you have hundreds of amps trying to go through that wire,causing it to melt and start a fire. on our cars they had enough sense to put a fuse to protect against a direct battery short to ground.