PDA

View Full Version : High Pressure Fuel Pump???

2ndGenGuy
08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
So, I wanna make sure that everything is set up properly before I tune my carb. I think that the best way to go for making sure fuel pressure is adequate is to install a high pressure pump, like for an EFI car. I've been reading that they run about 40-60psi usually.

I know this is way too much for a Weber carb, so I'd be installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in the line, just so I know exactly where the pressure will be set at. Probably drop the pressure down to 3-4 psi, as recommended. I also would like to do this in case I decide to go EFI on my A20 further down the road.

I've searched around a bit, but I can't seem to find any info on swapping fuel pumps... Are they fairly generic? Can I just go to the AutoZone and buy a generic fuel pump and attach it to my fuel line? Or would I be better off getting a fuel pump from an 85SEi?

I know that fuel injected cars have a return fuel line, but that won't connect at the fuel pump will it? So there won't be an extra line that I'll have to plug on the EFI pump?

SteveDX89
08-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure how 2nd gen fuel pumps are but for 3rd gens, you can use a universal pump. You just wire it up and then zip tie to it that thing that hang down into the tank. The return line does not go into the fuel pump itself so you're fine there. As far as trying to lower the pressure with an FPR, you'll need some luck to get it that low. I had a Walbro pump in my car and my FPR as low as it could go and I couldn't get below 44 psi at idle. Of course with a regular pump you could get it lower but I don't think you'll be able to get it down to 4 psi. Only way to find out is to try though.

2ndGenGuy
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah I've been looking at the adjustable regulators. None of them claim to be able to go lower than ~15psi. Most of them are from 20 on up. Guess I might be SOL on this one... I'll just buy a new OEM fuel pump to make sure I've got good pressure.

PhydeauX
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Just get a carb pump. I run a holley red with a low pressure regulator, it'll flow more fuel then I'll ever need. The 2nd gen has an external pump, its in front of the driver's side rear wheel, and is pretty strait forward to replace. When I did the holley swap I also replaced my fuel lines with 3/8 aluminum and redid the tank pickup in 3/8" as well. IIRC the stock fuel lines were smaller then the holley recomended minimum size.

A high pressure efi pump isn't meant to be regulated down to low pressures. You'd have to run a return style regulator and add a return line to the tank. I'd give the pump you have a shot. If it doesn't work something from autozone or what ever should should you just need a low pressure inline pump. I think they have a few choices, you're not going to be pushing monster horsepower with an a20. An oem replacement for a v8 with have more then enough capacity for you. My stock pump was able to fuel the 40dcoe carbs fine, I didn't start to have problems untill I went to 45s and even then it was almost keeping up.

andy