PDA

View Full Version : 88 LXi Tail Lights Won't Shut Off

Dncdesign
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Hello,

Prior to digging deeper into this tomorrow, I thot I'd see if you guys had run across this problem.

1. Both Tail Lights remain on. I jiggled the brake pedal while my neighbor watched and nothing flickered (I was hoping I could jar the switch somehow).

It could be the brake pedal switch or the head light switch, but it happened during the day when I wasn't even using the head lights.

I have a 5 speed. Could it be a switch in the hand brake?

I noticed it prior to leaving the beach. During the drive home an alarm buzzed but went off shortly, it was quite strange because I had my seat belt on.

Thanks in advance

DNC

A18A
08-12-2006, 12:01 AM
well usually that alarm sound would go off if you have your doors open while the lights are on, but never happens to me when the ignition is on though :S dont know your problem there. if its only your brake lights that wont turn off, it would be your switch, i'm pretty sure you can adjust it simply enough, or you might need to replace it>?

ChaseR
08-12-2006, 12:15 AM
the Tail lights down turn on when you pull the park brake....

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-12-2006, 09:52 AM
There's a small round pad on the brake pedal, where the pedal contacts the brake light switch that pushes the plunger all the way in. Check to see if it hasn't fallen off the brake pedal. I remember other people having had that happen to them.

jayton
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello,
Prior to digging deeper into this tomorrow, I thot I'd see if you guys had run across this problem.
1. Both Tail Lights remain on. I jiggled the brake pedal while my neighbor watched and nothing flickered (I was hoping I could jar the switch somehow).
It could be the brake pedal switch or the head light switch, but it happened during the day when I wasn't even using the head lights.
I have a 5 speed. Could it be a switch in the hand brake?
I noticed it prior to leaving the beach. During the drive home an alarm buzzed but went off shortly, it was quite strange because I had my seat belt on.
Thanks in advance
DNC

I just had this same problem. Just as the last poster said, it's the little plastic button piece.

Go to this site:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=BRAKE+%26+CLUTCH+PEDAL

You need to order part #7, which is:

5905 007 1 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER NO COLOR 1.90 1.42

These little plastic things are push a button when you let go of the brakes. The button tells the brake lights to go off. They put little cheap plastic pieces in there that rot out.

James Ayton
1988 Honda Accord LX-i, Stock, 89k miles

doot89accord
08-20-2006, 01:28 AM
meh, just wad up some tape and stick it where the stopper used to be, it's out of sight so it doesn't matter

jayton
08-28-2006, 03:42 PM
meh, just wad up some tape and stick it where the stopper used to be, it's out of sight so it doesn't matter

Yeah, but for only $1.42, you can restore that classic 3g to original condition!