PDA

View Full Version : Starter on 86 Dx

SmokeyTheBear
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
So I got the two bolts and two wires, but when I try to get the thing out of there, it starts to come apart and I can't get it back in there to try to take the whole thing out at once.
I'm talking about the housing and the internal component coming apart, its still connected via the copper wires.
Is there some 86 specific trick to get the thing out? Its not helping that theres barely enough room to get one hand down there.

ghettogeddy
08-12-2006, 12:04 PM
id say if its cumming apart eather u took the wroung bolts of or its really time to change it

MessyHonda
08-12-2006, 05:19 PM
yeah the bolts should come out and then the starter should wiggle out....i unhooked it first tho....well try to tap it out with a screwdriver handle since i knoe its a tight space

lostforawhile
08-12-2006, 06:10 PM
I think you took out the bolts holding the starter housing together. the two bolts you are supposed to:) take out are on the flanges on the starter.

EricW
08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I think you took out the bolts holding the starter housing together. the two bolts you are supposed to:) take out are on the flanges on the starter.

Yeah that sounds like what I started to do the when I changed mine, the bolts that hold the starter on are larger than the 10mm bolts that hold the starter together.

SmokeyTheBear
08-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Could someone give me some advice on how to clear enough room to actually see the correct bolts and/or a step by step removal guide? Pics would be awesome.
Looking down into the engine bay makes it seem like 15x as much work if you try to work from under the car, but like I said before, theres barely any room to work from the engine bay.
I had tried to move the hoses out of the way, but besides the top rad hose, it looks like they all just loop around the engine and couldn't be disconnected.

MessyHonda
08-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Could someone give me some advice on how to clear enough room to actually see the correct bolts and/or a step by step removal guide? Pics would be awesome.
Looking down into the engine bay makes it seem like 15x as much work if you try to work from under the car, but like I said before, theres barely any room to work from the engine bay.
I had tried to move the hoses out of the way, but besides the top rad hose, it looks like they all just loop around the engine and couldn't be disconnected.

well yeah they have some Ac hoses that were in the way and i just pushed them out of the way....it should not be hard...i did it from the top of the engine bay so you dont have to do it from under the car....i wish i had pics but i dont. down load the manual from paul http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25137

SmokeyTheBear
08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I had found his site with the manual in segments a while ago, I have the page for starter replacement. Thats how I thought I had confirmed the two bolts and two wires that people kept referring to in other posts.
Edit:
Its the Mitsuba starter, if that clears up why access is so difficult.

Edit 2:
So, I can get access to one of the bolts now, BUT it looks like this thing was changed previously and the person used a f*cking screw instead of a bolt and the sh*t is on there tight as hell. I've already stripped it a little bit trying to get it out.
Anyone have any suggestions?

If need be, I can ask the forum if anyone is willing to come down and help me out with this thing. I'm in Oakland, Ca, about 5-10 mins away from the 880 and the 580 High street exits.

Besides needing a new cat and the current starter issue, the car ran fine. I don't want to tell my parents they should sell it to a junkyard for a few hundred when this should be easily repaired.

A20A1
08-14-2006, 01:40 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/startmesumtin.jpg

SmokeyTheBear
08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the pics. I got that sucker out without too much additional hassle. Yes, I was looking at the wrong spot.

ghettogeddy
08-14-2006, 04:16 PM
wow thats a big starter mine was no were near that size

SmokeyTheBear
08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
The you'd have to have the rectangular Denso model. About how much smaller would you say the Denso is?
I was considering ordering that one and now that you say its smaller, that'd mean more room to work with for re-install.

ghettogeddy
08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
maybe i was wrong but i know mine wasent that big maybe it was the pic 120 had http://67.129.153.73/CGv2Production/Pictures/Honda%20J-Pegs%5C2800216X.jpg

but i wounder witch one i have cause mine is green

lostforawhile
08-14-2006, 05:14 PM
thats the right one for the 86 dx,it's funny but there is an aircraft company selling a lightweight starter for aircraft engines and it's identical. It should be easy to get out,I made the mistake of buying one from autozone with a lifetime warranty so i had to replace it about 6 times,I finally bought one from nappa. there are actually two staters,the smaller one is geared and i think it's a better starter. http://67.129.153.73/CGv2Production/Pictures/Honda%20J-Pegs%5C2800216X.jpg

ghettogeddy
08-14-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Bosch/SR284X_2.JPG

mine looked a little more like this one

ghettogeddy
08-14-2006, 05:56 PM
so does anyone know what the green one is cause mine had a green case

MessyHonda
08-14-2006, 07:46 PM
that lilttle flange brakes....on the top bolt....and when i went to the junkyards i saw a couple of them that were broken and they would put washers....but yeah i got a smaller starter....and if i remember i think it was green...denso?

SmokeyTheBear
08-14-2006, 10:05 PM
It looks like the Denso is out of the question. From the pic here and a few others, there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to get the extension in there unless you can angle it in absolutely straight.

lostforawhile
08-14-2006, 10:10 PM
why are you having so much trouble with the bolts? I have an 86 dx too and there are no clearance problems. is yours a five speed or an auto?

SmokeyTheBear
08-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Auto. The main prob was with the top bolt, there was a hose in the perfect spot to block it from view. Had to feel around and compare with the pics posted. The new one is in and now a new batt from walmart will hopefully let it fire right up tomorrow. Found out yesterday at autozone that the batt was bad as well.