PDA

View Full Version : Lots of problems

89HondaLegend
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Hello all, I just joined this forum. Glad to see you guys are all into Accords. Seems to be a car forum out there for just about every model. My Dad drives a 1988 Honda Accord LX 2.0L carburettor. Since we purchased the car we have had ntohing but problems with it. At the moment the idle is fluctuating, it will stick at 1500RPM constantly. Most of the time when it is warmed up it will stay at around 1000 RPM but even then it can vary between 1100 RPM and 800 RPM.
The idle also used to be rough but I changed the PCV valve and that has helped out. Another problem is the apparent lack of power. It drives ok to about 3000 RPM but when you are pushing it there is absolutely no power at all. For examply I can floor it in any gear and by the time I get to 5000 RPM it will just stay there and only increase ever so slightly. The fifteen minutes later it will change and do the same thing, rev up and run out of power before changing to the next gear.
One last thing I am concerned about it a rattling sort of metal noise. When the car is idling it makes this clanging sort of noise. It does go away every now and then but it comes straight back. It sounds like it is coming from the distributor area ???

Thanks for any help guys. It is a great little car, the engine just needs some attention.
By the way can anybody direct me to the two fuel filters which need to be replaced. I need very specific instructions or better yet pictures. :)
Thanks once again for any help.

Kind Regards,
Steve

forrest89sei
08-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Hello all, I just joined this forum. Glad to see you guys are all into Accords. Seems to be a car forum out there for just about every model. My Dad drives a 1988 Honda Accord LX 2.0L carburettor. Since we purchased the car we have had ntohing but problems with it. At the moment the idle is fluctuating, it will stick at 1500RPM constantly. Most of the time when it is warmed up it will stay at around 1000 RPM but even then it can vary between 1100 RPM and 800 RPM.
The idle also used to be rough but I changed the PCV valve and that has helped out. Another problem is the apparent lack of power. It drives ok to about 3000 RPM but when you are pushing it there is absolutely no power at all. For examply I can floor it in any gear and by the time I get to 5000 RPM it will just stay there and only increase ever so slightly. The fifteen minutes later it will change and do the same thing, rev up and run out of power before changing to the next gear.
One last thing I am concerned about it a rattling sort of metal noise. When the car is idling it makes this clanging sort of noise. It does go away every now and then but it comes straight back. It sounds like it is coming from the distributor area ???
Thanks for any help guys. It is a great little car, the engine just needs some attention.
By the way can anybody direct me to the two fuel filters which need to be replaced. I need very specific instructions or better yet pictures. :)
Thanks once again for any help.
Kind Regards,
Steve

Welcome to the forum!

heres the info on changing the fuel filter.

They are always in stock at most Auto Stores
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3923/untitledwm4.jpg

i know it says use jack stands but I replaced both of mine two weeks back and just used a floor jack.

ALSO check out these super helpful posts by "A20A1"

High Idle Causes , Symptoms , & Solutions
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53700

Idle Adjustment + Emissions Test Help
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46572

MECM
08-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. sorry I can't help you much but hey I can say hi right? :wtf: :)

A18A
08-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Maybe there's something broken loose in the distributor? Should take the cap off and have a look. As for your wont-go-above-5000RPM problem, it could possibly be your timing, or it could be your vacuum advance on the distributor broken? that could be the thing you hear rattling. Same for the problem with your shitty idle aswell maybe

89HondaLegend
08-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I probably should have mentioned that I am from Australia, so my car is RHD. I will check out that fuel filter today. I think I know where it is (behind a little black cover thing) otherwise I am lost :)
Anyway thanks once again for the help. Anybody know how to check the vacuum advance?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but usually I receive emails instead of having to check back and I forgot about it because I didn't get sent an email to say I had any replies.