PDA

View Full Version : EGR valve....maybe??

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-27-2002, 09:34 PM
I was reading my Chiltons manual a couple weeks ago about the EGR valve (no particular reason, just reading through the book). It said to test it, start the car and warm it up so it idles where it should, and then apply vacuum to the EGR valve and the engine should die. So I went and tried it. I applied vacuum with my pump, and the engine slowed down and sputtered and shook around like crazy (sounded terrible, lol), but it wouldn't die. When I released the vacuum it idled normally again. Tried it again and it did the same thing. I put as much vacuum as my little pump could make and it still didn't die, just sputtered the same as above. Does this mean my EGR valve is gone? Or on it's way out or something? I wasn't sure if it was totally shot if it just wouldn't do anything when vacuum was applied or not. It still idles pretty smooth, but sometimes feels a little rougher than others (still not very rough though...just talkin a little bit here). I had the EGR valve go out on my '94 Ford Ranger and it would idle really crappy and rough, so I had to unplug the vacuum hose going to it and it idled fine again.

Any ideas? ;)

A20A1
08-27-2002, 09:54 PM
well if vacuum opened the valve then it's working... it's just not opening all the way... do you know how much vacuum you are puting to the valve?

A20A1
08-27-2002, 09:57 PM
maybe it's an efi thing thats keeping the engine from dieing ... are you sure you don't have to disconnect an extra sensor or something cause it seems like the efi cpu might be compensating.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-28-2002, 12:14 AM
I don't remember exactly how much vacuum I put to it....I think it was around 10-15 in-Hg (I think that's the measurement on my vacuum pump gauge :rolleyes: ). You may be right about the EFI thing, and the Haynes/Chiltons have been known for leaving stuff out, so maybe there is actually something else you have to disconnect before doing this and they forgot to add that in, lol. All is says though is to check and make sure the connections are good, and if the car won't idle with the vacuum hose attached to disconnect and plug it. I also put the vacuum pump on the EGR with the engine off to see if it would hold vacuum, and it was air tight.

Geez....you just can't kill these A20's even when you try to! hahaha :lol :lol :lol

;)