PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Disable High Idle - 88 LX

seanwilman
08-14-2006, 02:00 PM
My 88 lx stays in high idle when cold.
I know that there could be a million things causing this.
I just want to disable the high idle "feature" so that it idles the same hot or cold.
Is there a quick way of just disabling the high idle and leaving everything else alone?
I have searched the forums but I could not find a direct answer.

Thanks for any help

frantik
08-14-2006, 02:01 PM
you can tap the gas pedal once after you start the car and it should disable the high idle

A18A
08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
you can tap the gas pedal once after you start the car and it should disable the high idle
i think thats only when the car is warm and idling high that works.

ccotm
08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
I have the same problem, it stays in high idle for a few minutes. Only after I let it sit there for a few minutes it will rev down after I hit the gas pedal...

A18A
08-16-2006, 08:00 PM
so how high is the idle anyways????????????? mine constantly idles around 400 - 1500rpm without stalling, i dont mind it jumping as long as it dont stall :)

DDRaptor
08-27-2006, 06:47 PM
The Idle on mine goes to about 1500 sometimes a bit higher.

i just wait a few minutes and tap the gas.

i have to search for threads about low idle cause that's my problem it starts sometimes too low like about 200 rpm and it takes 5 secs to go back to normal.

Tailfin
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
It's supposed to do that, but if you really want to disable it, and it runs ok like that, there is a fast idle unloader. It has two vacuum hoses going to it, one of them from the choke opener, I think. You'll see it moves a little lever sticking out of it, which will pull the fast idle cam off the choke linkage, allowing the throttle arm to receed to the "normal" idle. If you push the rod/diaphram in on the fast idle unloader and just secure it there with something, it should hold the fast idle cam out of the way and let the throttle arm move freely.

A20A1
09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
should be able to hook vacuum directly to the fast idle unloader, bypassing the thermovalve. That should help kick it down some.