PDA

View Full Version : weird noise

hondanutt
08-15-2006, 07:11 AM
hey everybody i need some help. i have a 88 lxi fi and the other day i started hearing a chirping noise, only after it warms up and only when i hit 2000 rpms.if i let the rpms come down it stops but if i rev them up it comes back. any ideas? sounds like its coming from a belt, but wanna make sure.

WindsAloft989
08-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a belt. I know the alternator belt on my car squealed like that... for some reason it needs to be really really tight.

P.S. Wierd is spelled rong.

hondanutt
08-15-2006, 07:18 AM
thanks,lol. well you spelled wrong wrong. but thanks for both tips.lol

hondanutt
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
i really dont think its the alternater. it doesnt do it all the time,only when rpms are up. sounds like a bird in the engine bay.

A18A
08-15-2006, 09:19 AM
maybe there is? lol j/k it could be your P/S belt or your A/C belt instead, my p/s belt is always loose and does the same thing wen i rev it

ghettogeddy
08-15-2006, 09:37 AM
no that def is eather the timing or alt belt mine used to sound like that when u would rev it, and it makes a sound when u rev up why? because its spining faster, the faster u spin the more it slips, th emore it slips the more it makes a soun, lol but mines has been chirping iin the morning i think my timing belt is the prob

A18A
08-15-2006, 09:56 AM
the timing belt has teeth so it doesnt squeel :) but if it does, its a pretty shitty one, or wasnt put in properly.

ghettogeddy
08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
ya i just thought about that then ,my alt belt needs to be tightend ot one makes noise ofr like a secound or 2 then it goes away and its only in the morning when its cold

A18A
08-15-2006, 10:40 AM
yeah its prolly moisture on the pulleys and loose belts making it slip a bit. i think theres a certain tightness your suposed to tighten the alt belt though, so dont wanna go too tight lol

acranox
08-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Actually weird is spelled correctly.

How old are the belts? As belts wear out the rubber becomes hard and glazed, and you can tighten them all you want, but the noise will just come back. And some aftermarket belts are just crap to begin with. An OEM Honda belt, properly tensioned should be nice and quiet.
A quick check to see which belt is making the noise is to take something like silicone spray, or WD-40, and spray one belt, and listen for a change in the noise, and then try it on another belt. However, these chemicals aren't really good for the belts, so once you've diagnosed that it is a belt noise, you should go ahead and replace them.