PDA

View Full Version : idle but will not drive

FORFREE
08-15-2006, 08:25 AM
i have had my car in the shop for about 2 weeks now and the mechanich got the car to idle perfect in park but once u put it into gear it runs like shit he said this has nothing to do with the carb any one have any sugestions?

A18A
08-15-2006, 08:31 AM
how exactly does it run like shit?

reanimator420
08-15-2006, 09:59 AM
does it smear or just drip??lol jking

FORFREE
08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
i am not sure i will ask the mechanic 2morrow wheni talk to him i might even stop by when i get the chance but i am not sure if i will be able 2

shepherd79
08-15-2006, 11:45 AM
what kind mechanic he is if he can't even figure out the problem. i would stay away from him.
most likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere or your idle boost solenoid is leaking air.

FORFREE
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
i didnt ask him what was wrong he said its not worth it when i braught the car there it had to be towed he fixed and somewhat that took him an hour he is not chraging me nothing but now he says its not the carb and not worth it

A20A1
08-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Seems like a vaccum leak to me, unless the transmission is shot.

When in gear how much vaccum are you pulling?

It should be 24"hg

If you are not getting at least 20" - 24" then do not do what I listed below.
You need to elliminate vaccum leaks before adjusting idle or you will never get a good idle adjustment.

When the car has warmed up fully, put your car in gear and adjust the idle diaphragm screw. ONLY IF THE IDLE DIAPHRAGM/BOOSTER IS NOT ENGAGED

If in neutral and the idle booster/idle diaphragm is already engaged then don't try to use the diaphragm screw to raise the idle... instead adjust the throttle stop screw and turn that in, but do not raise the idle more then what it is at in neutral before you touched the throttle stop screw. Basicly turn it in untill the idle changes, then level it off.

Now that the throttle stop screw is set go back and put the car in gear and adjust the idle diaphragm screw untill you get your idle speed steady.

Remember when you remove the air cleaner to get at the adustment screws... you need to plug the vaccum lines that went to the air cleaner to avoid a vaccum leak. You don't need to plug #17 or the large vaccum hose on the throttle cable side of the carb. The rest of the vaccum lines must be plugged.

2oodoor
08-17-2006, 08:12 AM
your mechanic is not honda friendly, takes motivation and lots of time to bring one back up from sitting, if your paying labor, it indeed would not be worth it. but if you learn it yourself it is more than worth it.