08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a 88 Accord LX A20A1 with 5 speed MT with marks:
E2Q6-1055329 on a gold sticker
and casting marks:
YSK in an oval with X-6 under it and
12 8 1S in three hex inserts? nearby.

I also have an 86 Accord LX with 5 speed MT

The 88 has transmission pulled for the following reasons:
1) 5th gear went out about a year ago = continued to drive with 4.

2) recently had some trouble with 3rd and then had some loud banging sounds. driveaxles completely locked up on a hill in 1st. Wouldn't come out of gear and wouldn't move. After getting it off the hill by jacking up the front end on a floor jack and rolling it on the jack finally got it out of gear - towed it in neutral and now have the transmission pulled. Just getting into it - 5th gears are nearly smooth - lots of metal (from 5th gear?) laying around inside the end cap - haven't pulled the case apart yet.

perhaps unrelated:
3) when pulling the tranny I found the torque arm from the firewall *not* bolted to engine mount. The previous owner's mechanic obviously had a case of " if I can't get the %#&@ bolt in it's probably not necessary"

The 86 LX MT had a similar history = 5th out , about a year later -= some trouble with 3rd and then whole tranny out (but not so much banging). The 86LX turned into a parts car and was robbed bit by bit to keep the 88 on the road.

I have used 3geez search and found little on how to proceed with a MT overhaul, where to get parts, etc. I did see a reference to parts in Japan, but the link I found was broken. I do have the pdf file Shop Manual for 86 Accord and 87, 88, 89 supplements.

I would appreciate the following help:

Sources for MT parts, rebuild kit, etc.

Approximate cost I may have if I proceed with the overhaul myself.

Any advice regarding MT overhaul - (is it worth it?) including gently pointing me in the right direction if info is already on the site and I haven't found it yet.

matthk
12-23-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a 88 Accord LX A20A1 with 5 speed MT with marks:
E2Q6-1055329 on a gold sticker
and casting marks:
YSK in an oval with X-6 under it and
12 8 1S in three hex inserts? nearby.

I also have an 86 Accord LX with 5 speed MT

The 88 has transmission pulled for the following reasons:
1) 5th gear went out about a year ago = continued to drive with 4.

2) recently had some trouble with 3rd and then had some loud banging sounds. driveaxles completely locked up on a hill in 1st. Wouldn't come out of gear and wouldn't move. After getting it off the hill by jacking up the front end on a floor jack and rolling it on the jack finally got it out of gear - towed it in neutral and now have the transmission pulled. Just getting into it - 5th gears are nearly smooth - lots of metal (from 5th gear?) laying around inside the end cap - haven't pulled the case apart yet.

perhaps unrelated:
3) when pulling the tranny I found the torque arm from the firewall *not* bolted to engine mount. The previous owner's mechanic obviously had a case of " if I can't get the %#&@ bolt in it's probably not necessary"

The 86 LX MT had a similar history = 5th out , about a year later -= some trouble with 3rd and then whole tranny out (but not so much banging). The 86LX turned into a parts car and was robbed bit by bit to keep the 88 on the road.

I have used 3geez search and found little on how to proceed with a MT overhaul, where to get parts, etc. I did see a reference to parts in Japan, but the link I found was broken. I do have the pdf file Shop Manual for 86 Accord and 87, 88, 89 supplements.

I would appreciate the following help:

Sources for MT parts, rebuild kit, etc.

Approximate cost I may have if I proceed with the overhaul myself.

Any advice regarding MT overhaul - (is it worth it?) including gently pointing me in the right direction if info is already on the site and I haven't found it yet.

Did you ever find anything on this I'm doing a rebuild and need diagram on the put back together to make sure it's right just for saftey