PDA

View Full Version : Got lucky lol

TeKKnoTeKK
08-27-2002, 11:02 PM
When I got off work last night I hopped in my car, turned on the tunes, and.....no starty. I'm like, "what the hell? I was just driving it 2 hours ago!" Try to start it a few more times and no luck. Finally I pop the hood....checked all the fuses, ok. Tried to see if I could smell anything but there was no gas smell or anything. Checked my distributor cap and wires, everything checked out. It would turn over just fine but seemed like it wasn't getting any gas, I would turn the key and it would stutter a sec and die. By this time a co-worker had come over to help me out (what a nice guy eh?):super: So I try to start it again and he notices something I totally overlooked, when I turned the key and let go the lights on the cluster would turn off. So he's like, "it's your ignition". Made sense...after checkin' shit out for a bit we decide it was the ignition switch. After playing with the ignition switch a bit it corrected itself. :D Anyone know how much one is new? Crazy lol.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-27-2002, 11:45 PM
Those pop up on ebay every once in awile. Otherwise, Majestic has them ( http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=STEERING+WHEEL+SWITCH ). Looks like it would probably be #7 for $43.38. Or maybe Napa or someplace like that would have it too.

Did you check all the wires going to the switch just to make sure nothing is about to pop off? Ya never know ;)

A20A1
08-28-2002, 01:14 AM
did someone install a security system in your car? A lot of the time they use a wire tap that connects an extra wire to the main one by cutting the main wire in half. When cut, the copper inside the wire is exposed to the metal plate inside the tap. The plate then connects to a smaller wire they usually hook-up to power the security devices. It's just a theory but maybe the wire is losing contact inside the tap... Mine used to be on a white and black wire... I think.

RCracer
08-28-2002, 11:19 AM
My car would occasionally die totaly including radio etc. Basically anything that gets its power through the ignition switch.
I could be driving all fine then it would just die. It would sometimes only go off for 1/2 a second and come back on its own or sometimes if I jiggled the key (not turned it) it would come back on and be ok for weeks/months. Since I changed the ignition switch it hasn't done it at all so I think that was my problem.

brianc85
08-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Thats the problem I have with my car too. I looked into it and its quite an expensive part. Its called an Ignition Starter Switch and is 95 bucks new at checkers. I just couldnt see spending that much money for it so I ripped off the plastic cover and wraped tape back there to keep the wires pushed in. Its a temporary fix that works most of the time.

TeKKnoTeKK
08-30-2002, 01:08 AM
damn.....it went out on me again! I had to leave my car at the billiard parlor! :eek: I hope nobody jacks my shit until I can get it fixed tomorrow.