PDA

View Full Version : Funstick?? Power door lock problem (not 3rd gen)

YK86
08-27-2002, 11:03 PM
I was hoping Funstick or someone can answer this. The power door locks quit working on my mom's 98 Accord LX all of a sudden. I also found out it's very likely not a part that is under the warranty my parents got when they bought it so I want to fix it myself.
Came home yesterday after driving my mom to the airport and I noticed the alarm/keyless entry alarm wasn't locking the doors (it was still arming and disarming). The switches weren't working either on both driver's side and passenger side. All fuses are good. I took the interior handle off both doors and tested the switch plug and there is power from both the lock and unlock wires and the ground wire is good too. The only time something happens is when I "unarm" the alarm, the driver's front door lock does unlock. But the other three don't do anything no matter what I do. I heard it may be the "multiplex control unit" but is there a way I can test this?? I know there is two of them so I don't want to go running out to get something I don't need especially on a newer car like this because all wreckers will charge quite a bit. Anything else I can test?? I don't have a factory service manual for this car (just Haynes) so I'm not sure how to test anything.

Sean
08-28-2002, 05:35 PM
aside form testing with a known good unit the multiplexing unit is to be looked at as the guilty culprit. i think that maybe the relay itself is bad. there should be 4 relays or ouputs form the multiplexing unit. can you get me a shcmeatic to look at ??? might be able to help more if i saw one.

YK86
08-29-2002, 01:32 AM
Here's the diagram from Haynes. They usually copy the diagram straight from the factory service manual so I'm assuming this is the same too. Sorry it's a bit big. http://server7.hypermart.net/yk86/doorlockdiagram.jpg

YK86
08-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Here's the diagram from hondaautomotiveparts.com
Part #11 and #12. It looks like the multiplex units are by the fuse box but not 100% sure. Maybe I'll have to check that tommorrow. I think there was a white box attached to the fuse panel on the driver's side but I didn't see anything on the passenger side.

TeKKnoTeKK
08-29-2002, 02:10 AM
Yeah I would agree that it is probably a relay, exactly which one I have no idea lol. Can you lock or unlock the doors manually? Could be the sending unit on the alarm/keyless entry?

YK86
08-29-2002, 08:34 AM
None of the door switches work so it's not the remote. I unplugged the alarm "brain" just to see if that was it but that didn't solve anything.

YK86
08-29-2002, 08:49 PM
I found the multiplex unit. Kind of a pain in the ass to get to but after I took everything apart and made sure all the plugs were in tight, the locks worked again.