PDA

View Full Version : -{Please someone help me!}-

spnrx
08-17-2006, 07:15 AM
I need a picture or a disciption as to where the Auto transmission is located on my 87' LX model. I plan to take the tranny out at the end of the month but the only problem is I don't know what the hell I'm taking out.

Thanx, ahead of time

2oodoor
08-17-2006, 07:27 AM
please go to forums, technical or how to. there is a factory manual you can download. It is for 86 but identical to your car. if you never did one at all your in for a treat. the manual is honda, very detailed and usefull.

2ndGenGuy
08-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Its attached to the motor. On the passenger side of the car. It's the big thing shaped... like a transmission?

If you don't know where the transmission is, I woudln't recommend replacing it. It's not a simple task. Not like replacing the spark plugs. You have to remove the axles, unbolt it from the engine, and still figure out a way to get it out of the car. Sometimes it involves jacking up the engine or dropping it. I've yet to replace one in an Accord, but I'm sure it's the same for more FWD cars...

But I guess if you've got a lot of time and are really willing to learn a lot, go for it. At least pick up a $20 Chilton's or Hayne's manual, if you can, get a factory service manual. Get at least 2 manuals in case there are any discrepancies. And make sure you've got lots of tools...

Good luck.

ghettogeddy
08-17-2006, 07:38 AM
ya its a pain in the arse we endup haveing to drop the top and bottom motor mounts, cross member and jiggle the shit out of it it took like 3 people to get the damn thing out but it did go back in really smooth

A18A
08-17-2006, 07:42 AM
yeah would be a bitch to do it with the engine in the car, but if you want sum good experience, you could take the engine out and then remove it :) would be easier but would take more time. you prolly dont have a way of getting it out anyways. but 1 thing u must do is MAKE SURE YOU GOT ALL THE TOOLS U NEED otherwise your fucked :(

spnrx
08-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanx, I figured it was gonna be a pain in the ass but I'm stubborn.

2oodoor
08-20-2006, 09:09 AM
I had done a 2g clutch a good while ago , and I had a lot of experience already, had done rwd and fwd vw, toyotas, dodges, mazdas, and the 2g was an ever loving nightmare, never had I ever seen so many freaken things to take off to clear it enough to lay it down. The 3g doesnt look near as bad , 83 civic was not that bad so that is close to 3g.

acranox
08-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry, but if you don't even know what a transmission looks like, you really shouldn't be replacing one. That's a recipe for disaster. Start with simplier tasks and work your way up.