PDA

View Full Version : oil light??

89accordlxi
08-28-2002, 07:38 AM
Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone can explain our car's oil sensor to me. The reason I ask is because I went cruising around last night and after making some hard right-angle turns(tires squealing and car skidding), my oil light would start flashing. Sometimes it will shut off itself but other times, i would have to turn the car off and on again. Is this because maybe the oil is being shifted to one side or the other during the hard cornering and the sensor thinks the oil is low or something? If so, do I have anything to worry about. Or maybe my oil is getting low (come to think of it, I haven't changed my oil for over 5k miles) . Anyway, would hard cornering have anything to do with the oil light coming on?

I just luv taking corners fast and am annoyed by the blinking oil light. Any ideas or comments or suggestions.

Thanks

PEACE OUT.

87accordlxph
08-28-2002, 08:12 AM
Yo
YES, the oil is moving due to moment of inertia!

Have you checked your oil level lately?
Chances are since you haven't changed the oil, when it's time that you should, your probably running low so now there's no oil pressure which in then senses the sending unit (oil pressure sending unit) to indicate a low oil pressure light or the actual sending unit itself is malfunctioning. (check ECU code..under the driver's seat for a f#$%ed up sensor.)

Hope this helps.

BTW, please change the oil in your car.
hehehehe, for the love of the 3geez!

-Mike

ACCORD EX
08-28-2002, 08:30 AM
it's normal ! happened to me !
BTW do get used to hard cornering or you'll fuck up your car !

MIKE

89accordlxi
08-28-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 87accordlxph

BTW, please change the oil in your car.
hehehehe, for the love of the 3geez!

Thanks for the input. Looks like it's time to change the oil.

Originally posted by ACCORDEX

BTW do get used to hard cornering or you'll fuck up your car !

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you telling me that I should get used to cornering hard or that I shouldn't because it will mess up the car??

Peace..

ACCORD EX
08-28-2002, 12:25 PM
sorry that's a typo ! i meant DON'T ! :lol !

MIKE

POS carb
08-28-2002, 06:02 PM
just get that damn oil changed!!! :flash:

smufguy
08-28-2002, 09:44 PM
my dad's '90 camry does that. i had the oil changed and i took it for a hard drive after we bought the car to see how the engine sounds like since he had only a quart and a half in his engine. so at a stop sign, i braked real hard to test the brakes (i was checking the car cause we just bought it) and the oil light came on. i freaked out, then again at a traffic light it did that. I verified with my mechanic and he said that it does do that cause the oil sloshes to the front and the pressure lowers at the sensor and the sensor inputs as low oil level but corrects itself later once the oil comes back

night
08-28-2002, 10:21 PM
the pressure sender is right there on back of the block. its not a 'sensor' exactly, its directly related to the oil.
if that light comes it means you the pickup is sucking air and for a second or 2 your engine has no oil moving through.

unless you just like honing cylinders and replacing bearings....

offthahook
08-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Man, I do not understand why people wanna do that crap to their (fairly) stock, old Accords. In the end, something in the front might snap from the abuse. It's not like our cars are new or even made to be rally cars. Plus, not checking and changing oil!!?? Dude, you might be asking for trouble doing that to a 14 year old car. Just my $.02

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-29-2002, 12:53 AM
My dad works with a guy who has had oil pressure problems in every single vehicle he's owned in the last 10 years or so since my dad has known him. And it is because he drives exactly the same way as you describe above. Hard cornering, braking, and acclerating slosh the oil around and the oil pump sucks up a bunch of air, and ends up ruining the bearings and a bunch of other stuff. I guess some people never learn....geesh :mad:

89accordlxi
08-29-2002, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. I guess I better take it easy on my 13 yr old from now on. Thanks for the comments y'all

i'm out

SiR
08-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Hard right turns are a lot better then left turns due to the pump being on the left side of the oil pan. So if you must, kill that Mustang in the turns, try to them them in right turns. Just my two cents...

Rooz

smufguy
08-30-2002, 07:24 PM
and why is right turns gonna beat a mustang? cause the pump is on the right? i aint gettin it with the pump on right giving u a good handling,

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
and why is right turns gonna beat a mustang? cause the pump is on the right? i aint gettin it with the pump on right giving u a good handling,
What he's saying is: If you must do hard cornering, it's much better to make hard right turns than hard left turns. This is because the pump is on the left side of the pan, and when you turn right all the oil goes to the left of the pan, and no oil starvation occurs. If you make hard turns to the left, all the oil goes to the right, and the pump sucks up air and your engine gets mad at you. :D ;)

89BlackH-Back
08-30-2002, 10:24 PM
also when u beat on ur car it will burn oil quicker and heres a hint change ur oil ever 3 months or 3000 miles

89accordlxi
08-31-2002, 07:54 PM
So are you guys telling me that engines are so dependent on oil that it can't even run a few rotations without oil or is it that the quality of oil is so bad that it doesn't stick to engine parts long enough so that it needs to constantly be running through the engine to be affective?

I remember when they had those infomercials on tv for prolong or duralube or what ever, they would completely drain the oil out of an engine after adding the product and run the car oilless for 100s of miles with no problems. Is that a total scam or is it true?

seriously, I understand that if you run your engine without oil for a long time that damage will occur. But during hard cornering, we are talking just a matter of seconds. Can you really harm the engine in that short of time?

Just trying to clear up a few things.

peace..

offthahook
08-31-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by 89accordlxi
So are you guys telling me that engines are so dependent on oil that it can't even run a few rotations without oil or is it that the quality of oil is so bad that it doesn't stick to engine parts long enough so that it needs to constantly be running through the engine to be affective?

I remember when they had those infomercials on tv for prolong or duralube or what ever, they would completely drain the oil out of an engine after adding the product and run the car oilless for 100s of miles with no problems. Is that a total scam or is it true?

seriously, I understand that if you run your engine without oil for a long time that damage will occur. But during hard cornering, we are talking just a matter of seconds. Can you really harm the engine in that short of time?

Just trying to clear up a few things.

peace..

Tell ya what, Al Unser, sr. Drain all the oil out of your Accord after you add DuraLube. Run it hard without the valve cover on. Take all the hard corners you want cuz the DuraLube, combined with an engine's ability to run without oil, will save you!!!
Dude, we have EXTREMELY tight tolerances on our engines. That is why the engine's metallic, moving parts MUST be lubed at all times. My guess is you will fry the rings and the bearings after cont. times of "just a little" dry time. Hell, I start the car kinda easy after the oil is changed because it needs to circulate (that's why the oil light stays on after oil changes for a second). You mix high temps., moving metallic parts, and the need for it all to be synchronized... YOU NEED OIL!!! AT ALL TIMES!! Maybe some people will say that they have done this and that to their rides and run them hard. ASk if they were in a 3G Accord without some crazy mods. It's your choice though. Roll the dice.

Cliff's-- DuraLube is a scam (read the fine print) and you need your engine lubed at all times.