PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof from one 3G to another 3G??

RamThis
08-21-2006, 12:05 AM
My parts car has a working sunroof. Other than the obvious hole in the roof I'd have to cut, plus cutting out a ring of the donor roof for that formed lip opening to weld in, is there other structure under that roof that would be a PITA to move over? If it's not much more than cutting a hole and welding in the surrounding roof panel to the sunroof,and just bolting it in to my car, I might try it after I get the engine swap done.

Anyone done this before that can shed some light as to how they did it?

frantik
08-21-2006, 01:16 AM
i believe the entire ceiling of the LXi is slightly lower to accomidate the sliding roof

i noticed it the first time i got in my LXi cause my head would hit the roof if i sat up but it didnt do that in my LX

A18A
08-21-2006, 02:08 AM
i dont think the roof heights r different, maybe its just your seats. i think Gemini is doing that with his project car, he might know. but if you're prepared to cut a hole in the roof to install the sunroof, im pretty sure the other mods you would have to do to make it fit would be minor compared to welding in a new one

ghettogeddy
08-21-2006, 05:38 AM
no there is def a dif i roof hight prolly by like 2 inches, windowsgoes under the roof not on top if the thing was after market then it might go up, with is what i want. i like the look of a sunroof on top not just a hole.

carotman
08-21-2006, 05:44 AM
It's the headliner that sits lower.... obviously the sunroof mechanism takes that space.

MessyHonda
08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
i believe the entire ceiling of the LXi is slightly lower to accomidate the sliding roof

i noticed it the first time i got in my LXi cause my head would hit the roof if i sat up but it didnt do that in my LX

yeah he is right on my Dx its higher up since nothing is in between...that would be a hard task to do...maybe cut the Sunroof off and put it on the other car.

frantik
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
i dont think the roof heights r different

ceiling, not the roof ;)

RamThis
08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
After I get it up and running again I will pull the headliner to see what all would be involved. Would be a nice addition to an already clean car, I love the sunroof in our Acura.

I have a few body parts to paint and put on my car, so I could paint the roof after welding in the necessary panel to install the sunroof.

w261w261
08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
On the cars without sunroofs, I believe there are "oh shit" grab handles, which cannot be fitted on sunroof cars because of the lowered headliner.

If you are going to fit a factory sunroof, you'll have to also provide for drain tubes, as the seal on top is just for wind noise, and isn't intended to be waterproof. I imagine you could feed the drains (4 of them, one in each of the A and C pillars) through the bodywork, but I bet it would be a PITA. Don't try to do the conversion without the drains...it will be a mess. Then there's the motor, wiring, etc.

I would think twice about it.

frantik
08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
On the cars without sunroofs, I believe there are "oh shit" grab handles, which cannot be fitted on sunroof cars because of the lowered headliner.

ahh, so thats why. i was wondering why there was no oh shit handles on my lxi

MessyHonda
08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
ahh, so thats why. i was wondering why there was no oh shit handles on my lxi

lol wow didnt notice that either....lol

RamThis
08-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Well nice thing is, I have the whole entire car to use as an "Oklahoma Blueprint", plus all the parts are there and work perfectly. Shame the car is so ugly or I'd just put a tranny in it and drive it lol. Oh well, always was one to do things the hard way I guess LOL.