PDA

View Full Version : New 3 G owner here

daves88coupe
08-21-2006, 06:23 AM
hello all I just recently purchased a 88 dx auto. in the first day i had to do the thermostat and coolant flush. while i was doing the thermo, one of the bolts broke off in the housing, so i took off the dist. and heated the housing up and eventually got what was left of that bolt out. now HERES MY PROBLEM. once i put back the dist and everything else it runs ROUGH. could it be that the dist isnt positioned right?
also when i go to take off from a stop light or stop sign, it seems like it misses then takes off. if i floor it it doesnt do it! fuel filter/s maybe? any he;p would be awesome. this car looks decent and i know hondas will last a long time my 4g4d civic did...
is there anything else i should do or look out for on these cars?
thanks in advance
Dave

shepherd79
08-21-2006, 06:37 AM
i would agree with you, your probably need to adjust the timing. Get yourself timing light and about 30 minutes to check everything.
also, make sure you didn't disconnect any vacuum lines and if you did, make sure they are connected right way.

ghettogeddy
08-21-2006, 07:07 AM
wwell when u find out please tell me my car does the same thing ive changed to fuel filters but thats a ll my pocket could afford at the time but if it is a timing thing it shoul dbe easy to fix

A18A
08-22-2006, 10:12 AM
depends, you can either do valve timing which is a bitch and a half, you gotta pull the belt off, adjust the cam gear, put belt back on. and if you cant get the tensioner loose, its pretty difficult. OR you could change the timing at the dizzy with a timing light, to do that you can either just adjust it till you think it sounds right, or get a timing light put 1 end onto the end of the no.1 spark plug, and the other end onto the no.1 spark plug. start the car, make sure its dark behind you so you can see easier, then point it down onto the (i forgot what it's called, fly wheel? i forgot) well it has the point next to it and its spinning, shine the light onto that and then adjust the dizzy till you see the white line flashing and then adjust it and bring it to line up with the pointer :) oh and DONT forget to pull off the dizzy advance, otherwise you might not see it :) i hope you understood that o.O

daves88coupe
08-23-2006, 07:55 AM
thanks for the little how to but where is the vacuum advance yore talking about. thisis the first time in a looooong time ive had a carb'ed car, but i love hondas. my other car is a 88 legend sedan in need of a trans so its in storage til i get my house next yr to work on it there
dave

Oldblueaccord
08-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Vacuum advance is the black,round thing off the distributor housing with vacuum lines hooked to it. I think 2 but I dont have a carb car.

wp