PDA

View Full Version : Axle won't stay sealed...

2ndGenGuy
08-21-2006, 09:26 AM
So my car's had some nasty vibration under acceleration. I decided it would be a good idea to replace the axles on the car as they're probably the original ones. The driver's side I replaced about 2 months ago. Thats been great. I replaced the passenger side axle about a week ago, and thats where my problems have started...

I installed the axle, and everything seemed allright. I thought it fit a little bit loose in the transmision, and it even popped out a little bit when I was tightening down the spindle nut. I went and pushed it back in until it snapped, but it wasn't a very reaffirming snap. The car drove fine, and didn't leak any oil and I drove it for about a week. Then I went to the autocross track...

After my second lap, I came to the end and some dude says "I think your car is leaking something". Oil is just pouring out, the axle is still in there, just popped out enough to leak all over the place. I drove the car off the track, got underneath and with my hand I was able to snap it back in. I determined that the ring clip is probably too small or didn't have enough tension on it. I returned the axle and the new one I picked up from the same place had a MUCH larger ring clip on the end.

This ring clip was so large though, I had to hammer the axle (with a brass hammer of course) for about 10 minutes to get it to even start to go into the transmision. Finally with some good solid hits it went in, but we coudln't hit it hard enough to hear it or feel the ring clip snap into it's spot. However when I tried pulling on it, it seemed to be in there very solid.

So I took the car up the street and brought it back, and it poured oil all over the driveway again... I guess I don't know what I'm trying to ask, but does anybody have any tips for making sure the axle goes in properly? I almost feel like its the wrong axle or something, but I don't have the core anymore to check against. I compared them when I bought it, and I thought for sure it was okay... It just took so much force to get it in, compared to the driver's side it's been a complete pain in the ass....

Sorry for the long post...

EX-ileAccord
08-21-2006, 09:54 AM
It could be the axle seals

Ichiban
08-23-2006, 06:12 PM
The axle should "click" in as you described. I'd take it back and order one from a different manufacturer, and while you're at it, replace the axle seal in the diff. It's a simple pop out/ hammer in sort of deal, and cheap insurance at around 10 bucks.

2ndGenGuy
08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Okay so I finally got some time to look at my car again...

The axle that I had to hammer on to get in... I wanted to pull it out and replace the seal on the transmission. They told me at AutoZone that it's called the output shaft seal. There was also an input shaft seal and a selector seal. I assume the input shaft seal is for where the clutch / engine connect into the transmision, and the selector seal is the gear selector shaft seal... So I bought the left output shaft seal. Hopefully this is the right part.
Well now I can't even pry the f$cking thing out. The WHOLE CAR moves before the axle will even budge... Maybe the big huge ring clip on the end of it WAS TOO BIG. I'll never ever buy another axle at Shucks. Last time my friend bought one for his Rabbit from Shucks, it was too long and destroyed the steering knuckle and wheel bearing. I want to drive my car again!!! But I can't get the axle out to take it back!! ARGH!!

:mad: :rant: :mad: :rant: :mad: :rant: :mad: :rant:

Ichiban
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
can you pull the other axle and drift it out from the other side? otherwise it might get messy with trying to wedge it out...

2ndGenGuy
08-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I can't, there is some rod or shaft in between the two sides. Great idea though, wish I could have done that... I'm anxious to get my car back on the road.

2ndGenGuy
09-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Allright I got that axle out by wedging a punch tool in there and hammering it out. Worked great. I took that one, and my drivers side axle back. Why did I take the driver's side axle back, you ask? Well because as I was hammering on the passenger side, the drivers side popped out. It popped out too easily for my comfort. So I took both axles back to Shucks and got all my money back. I order two new axles from a local shop, Cut Rate Auto Parts. Or CRAP as they're so lovingly known. I got the passenger side in SMOOTH AS BUTTER! FUCK YEAH! Then I got to put the driver's side in. EEEH WRONG!! TOO BIG. Turns out it was mis-boxed. So here it is 7:00 Saturday before TWO, yes thats right TWO days of autocross and I get to sit and watch. Well at least the passenger side halfshaft is in the way it should be.

lostforawhile
09-02-2006, 06:50 PM
I went through this,don't even get me started,the axle clips most rebuilders put on there are crap. if you compare a lot of them to factory you'll see the difference. buy a set of factoy axle clips and put them on there before installing the axles. never hammer the axles to get them in,you might have damaged the dif retaining groove now. you should be able to push on the axle and it should click into place.

2ndGenGuy
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah you're right. I was a dumbass for hammering on them. Don't know what I was thinking.

Its funny becaue I went to the Honda dealer and picked up a clip. They only had one left, and it was completely different from the crap they had at Shucks. My friend destroyed the front end of his VW Rabbit because they gave him a half shaft that was too long...

However there is finally a bright side to this story. I called every auto parts store within like 100 miles. There was one place that had one axle that I was looking for. Turns out it was this NAPA in Spanaway. It about a 30 minute drive from my house so I took off on Sunday as quickly as my Dad's automatic D15B7 would get me there. Turns out it was a BRAND NEW axle! W00t! It was $60 and there was no core charge on it. It was so nice and clean and shiny. It fit like a glove. I popped it in, bolted everything up and proceeded to kick all my friend's asses at the autocross track.

But now 1st gear sounds very unhappy with me :-( Probably due partially to the hammering I did, and also probably partially to revving it so high and running it so hard. I don't know if it will survive another day at the track like that...

Ichiban
09-05-2006, 09:31 PM
But now 1st gear sounds very unhappy with me :-( Probably due partially to the hammering I did, and also probably partially to revving it so high and running it so hard. I don't know if it will survive another day at the track like that...

...Did you remember to fill your tranny back up with oil?:rofl:

2ndGenGuy
09-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Oh man I knew I forgot something... So THATS why it's so hard to shift gears...

Just kidding... It's like the 5th time I've filled that tranny with oil in the last 2 weeks.... Should be super-clean now... :-D

2oodoor
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I was going to say, please dont go to snatching on the axle and pull the whole car off the stands, and smash yourself. Also I made a nice persuader outta a five pound sledge with all but ten inches of handle sawed off, it works super good for pickle forks knockin out tierod ends or some ball joints, pittman arms. hard headed cvaxles etc... It works because it has the ommmpa without needing the leverage if you dont have space ....dont drop it on your foot though lol
glad you got it fixed up