PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap, my wierd story of the day

FyreDaug
08-21-2006, 07:14 PM
For the past few days I noticed my cap is reading a lower voltage than normal (12.X while running) which I thought was wierd because my red top would normally be about 12.6 when I turn the car off (and I would see 14.2 normally when its on) but today the battery was dead, no crank.

So we tried push starting it twice to no avail, it would turn the motor, but it wouldnt be "running" and then it just died when the car stopped. So my buddies yamaha bike was here and he brought it close to my car and we hooked up jumper cables to his battery, then my positive but AS SOON as I touched the negative to the battery without doing ANYTHING, the car started right up. BAM 900rpm. Key was in the ON position (which I know it shouldntve been, I forgot completely) but the starter DID NOT engage at all. Im lucky the car wasnt in gear when we connected that, otherwise I would have been crushed between the bumper and his motorbike.

WHAT WOULD CAUSE IT TO START!

EricW
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
There might have been enough fuel in the cylinders to make it start and the distributor just happend to be in the right place for it to fire one of the plugs.:dunno:

A18A
08-21-2006, 08:32 PM
yeah it must have been dead on a spark stroke and it sparked and started right up, wish that would happen to me, but that just shows you got a good engine, except your alt or voltage regulator might be fucked

Acid X
08-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Wow. pretty nuts.

FyreDaug
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Well the battery didnt drain overnight. It had 11.8 overnight, and this morning was 11.77. Started it up and it barely stayed over 12V and it smells funny, pretty sure the smell is coming from alt. Im about to go to my appointment where they tell me if the cars written off or not, so I dunno whats gonna happen yet. Im not giving up my dry cell though

A18A
08-22-2006, 09:46 AM
umm why would they think the car is toatalled? im pretty sure its just a faulty voltage regulator or something. as for it drainging overnight, i think most batteries lose power when they have been sitting and usually the flatter the battery is, the faster it drains. and it sounds like yours has been drained by a faulty voltage regulator or something. i was gonna say something else too but i forgot

FyreDaug
08-22-2006, 12:31 PM
No its being written off from the damage, the battery is a red top and im sure theres nothing wrong with it. And yeah im going with a bad voltage regulator, it gave me 13.x yesterday after it made some wierd sounds... either way I think the alt is gonna have to come out if I keep the car....

EX-ileAccord
08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd like to know whats is that weed you smoke man, cause you make some crazy ass posts. lol

FyreDaug
08-22-2006, 02:29 PM
lawl this is a serious post, this actually happened