PDA

View Full Version : What amp to use with JL 10w04 + other questions

frantik
08-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Ok so i've had this JL sub (10w04) in a "powerwedge" box for over a year now just sitting in my apt. it's 125w rms.. so do i need a 125 watt rms amp? or should i get something a little more or less or what? i know i just need a one channel amp with high level inputs, but i don't know what else i should look for.

i'm going to hooking this up to the stock head unit.. i know it's not gonna sound the best but i'm not going for audiophile of the year.. i just want to hear the bassline on the tunes i'm listening to. I use my ipod for input via the din plug in the back so the source is ok.. the stock hu's amp isn't the best but it still sounds pretty good even with my blown speakers... which leads to my second question:

is there even a point to getting an amp to power the 4 regular speakers if i'm just gonna use the stock head unit. it's jus gonna make it louder right? the volume i can achieve right now is fine with the stock speakers, but i'm planning on installing newer ones because they're all pretty much blown, so i don't know if that makes a difference..

thanks.. car audio n00b over here :welcome:

ghettogeddy
08-23-2006, 05:13 AM
no with a 4 ch it will sound clear and crisp not just loud if it was loud i can do that with my stock one as well witch is why ive been trying to figure out the best way to hook up a 4ch to a stock deck

oh and i do have a fosgate 75 watt amp and a lightning audio 150 watt that im selling mabey thats what we can trade for the rims

frantik
08-23-2006, 05:43 AM
well it can't sound that clear considering it's going through the head unit, but i guess the more amplification an outside amp does, the better

sinisterfuzzy
08-23-2006, 06:52 AM
is that sub a 4ohm? i'm going to assume it is but this amplifier right here (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2789.html)would do wonderful.. And just so everyone knows, www.sonicelectronix.com is the best site i've found all car audio and everything like that stuff on there is a ton lower prices than you'll see in any other store.

frantik
08-23-2006, 06:56 AM
yes 4ohm

damn that is a big price cut.. though it's still a lil pricey for me. im looking to spend under $100 shipped.. preferably like $50. that prolly means ebay i assume

but looking at that one i can figure out what to look for so thanks :)

MessyHonda
08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
yeah i had a 10 inch kicker with thoes same specs and it hit nice...i still have the amp...maybe we can install it just to test it out...