PDA

View Full Version : Suspension time, help decide

HondaBoy
08-23-2006, 01:22 PM
ok, the 3gee's comming up on 20 years and the suspension if getting sloppy and droopy. see i wanted something like an eibach spring set for it, but now i'm remembering how my friends 500SEL rode with the sport line springs, like shit. that being it had a hard ride that was uncomfortable. so i've been reading through the listings for what is made for the 3gee and whatnot and found H&R or Neuspeed would be the way to go for a sporty but comfortable ride. also a sorta soft shock would be my choice, so the KYB GR-2's sound good, but i wonder if with a 1.5 inch drop would cause some problems. the reason i'm starting to think about doing this is because the car is sitting on 17's now and needs these parts. plus my b-day is comming up and i have to think of something to ask for. but from what i read, H&R's with the GR-2's would be ok? i'd like the springs and shocks to last another 20 years before needing replacement. now dont think i wont take some suggestions to mind. the reason for the 500SEL's harsh ride may just have been the struts it was usings i'm not sure, i really shouldnt make judgement on the springs because that was a totally different car than the 3gee and much heavier with more of a drop. but i would still also consider the Eibach springs because its not much of a drop and go ok with the GR-2's.

MessyHonda
08-23-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah im going to be geting the newspeed springs and i have some Tokicos to match thoes....i would get tokicos since from what i heard they are 10-15% stiffer. thoes springs are good since they are not too low or soft...so you should not have lots of camber

Hash_man_Se_i
08-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I would say go with H&R springs and Tokico Blue shocks. I had this setup on my old se-i and it was great. You would have no problems with your wheels, and it handled quite well.

HondaBoy
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
so not too harsh of a ride with that? like kinda soft but still sporty and good handling. thats what i want, and something that's not going to crap out quickly. i may go with the tokico HP's, those are the blue ones you said right?

MessyHonda
08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
some one here is selling tokico blues with tokico springs....they lower the car a inch....monkey has then and he says that they handle good

Hash_man_Se_i
08-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Ya the tokico HP's are the blue ones. And the ride with that combo is really good, handles really well, but its easy to live with every day

HondaBoy
08-26-2006, 11:44 AM
oh yeah? well i may just have to go with that. need a spring compressor i guess. would i need an alignment after taking the springs and shocks out? i would think so but will probably go without it for a bit after doing this.

MessyHonda
08-27-2006, 06:08 PM
oh yeah? well i may just have to go with that. need a spring compressor i guess. would i need an alignment after taking the springs and shocks out? i would think so but will probably go without it for a bit after doing this.

They already come with springs....so you wont need a spring compressor....i put new shocks in and i didnt need an alignment. mine were OEM replacement and they handle better than my blown shocks.

HondaBoy
08-28-2006, 12:47 PM
what you mean they come with springs? i'm wanting to get the H&R springs and put them with some new Tokico shocks.

MessyHonda
08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
what you mean they come with springs? i'm wanting to get the H&R springs and put them with some new Tokico shocks.

well i was talking about the dude that is selling his tokico shocks and spring combo...i think he wants like 200 bucks. thats a deal since my new tokicos cost me 230 bucks. i think the H&R spring and tokicos are one of the best combos for our cars besides Konis but they are hard to find even used.

FyreDaug
08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
You mean thats the factory 20yr old suspension? Struts have never been replaced or anything? Thats kinda doubtful

But if thats the case, just get OEM replacements then, thatll be a huge imrpovement