PDA

View Full Version : Cable stuck!!!

dalinxz
08-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey I have a problem the transmission was heating up yesterday since I was idling waiting to get across the border so I would keep pouring bottles of water in the engine bay to cool it down. So finally I got across but now when the gear is in Park. Its an automatic by the way, but when its in park the gear sticks and feels rough. Like to move it to drive it takes an effort. What could it be. When its in any other gear like neutral, reverse, D4, 2, 1 etc it stays soft like it was supposed to be.

2oodoor
08-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Hey I have a problem the transmission was heating up yesterday since I was idling waiting to get across the border so I would keep pouring bottles of water in the engine bay to cool it down. So finally I got across but now when the gear is in Park. Its an automatic by the way, but when its in park the gear sticks and feels rough. Like to move it to drive it takes an effort. What could it be. When its in any other gear like neutral, reverse, D4, 2, 1 etc it stays soft like it was supposed to be.
Sounds like something got caught inside shifter in console, or spilled drink, change coins, etc. Remove console and make sure is clean, then check cable. If your indicator shows correct; such as p is park and d4 is indeed d4 I would guessit is debris or rust like I first suspected. I dont know why your tranny is heating up, why do you say that anyway?
sounds like something else is going on there, coolant fans not coming on or something.

dalinxz
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
no the tranny overheats when its reallly really hot outside and its sitting at idle, the engine is fine because the thermostat stays the same, but the tranny idles higher, the water helped. but ill check that today, any other advice?

gp02a0083
08-25-2006, 11:52 AM
i dont knoaw what that could be , i have a problem liek that wehre the throttle feels liek it gets harder or stuck in one spot , i believe its something with the tranny cable

Oldblueaccord
08-25-2006, 05:42 PM
no the tranny overheats when its reallly really hot outside and its sitting at idle, the engine is fine because the thermostat stays the same, but the tranny idles higher, the water helped. but ill check that today, any other advice?

Im not understanding how transmissons "idle higher" please explain.

The only thing that you can feel when a tranny is hot is it will slip usually in high gear. If the fluid is dark in color on the dip stick or smells burnt is the other.

wp

2oodoor
08-28-2006, 02:40 AM
I dont understand quite what your saying either. all I can say is make sure your electric cooling fans are working properly, check/search forum for that one. Also disconnecting cooling lines from transmission that go thru radiator and make sure they aint blocked. May be a good idea to change transmission fluid anyways, it has chemical propeties that help disipate heat, use name brand or Honda transmission fluid only or you will be shifting too harsh. You may need to have radiator checked too, Oem temp guages can be illusive to actual temp. If I had the car I would also use infrared thermometer, point it around and see where the hot spot is.
I will add too , seeing the other responses to this thread, I have noticed that you can adjust all your cables on these Hondas and the specs will be different once the ambeint temp goes over 89 degrees, go figure. Maybe its the plastic housings expanding and making the adjustments change.