PDA

View Full Version : do i need a bigger exhaust???

gfrg88
08-25-2006, 02:55 PM
alright people i need your opinions on my set up. currently i have a cai, a focuz racing(ebay) intake manifold, header, test pipe, delta cam is going on tomorrow, afpr, and a 2" exhaust. thats where im stuck. do you guys think i would see a bigger improvement with a 2.5" exhaust??? i wont go 2.25 cause i plan on going turbo by then end of next summer. so what do you guys think, should i stick with the 2" or go 2.5" exhaust. :help:

gfrg88
08-25-2006, 02:59 PM
oh and what else could i do, as in bolt ons or something of that sort?? i have a bunch of free entries that i got from CSP to go to the track for FREE!!!! "take it to the track" is what they told me :kekeke:

LiTtLe xOx BitT
08-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Yea. do a 2.5" exhaust. As far as bolt ons go you cant really do much more. Do you have a adj cam gear??

HondaBoy
08-25-2006, 04:30 PM
if you want all top end, go for the 2.5 inch now, but for a n/a engine, i'd stick with the 2 inch until you go turbo. low torque at low rpms will come from too big of piping. but you engine is breathing better than stock so i dunno.

A20A1
08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52545

carotman
08-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Yup. that was a nice writeup.

This reminds me that I got to get rid of the stock exhaust someday.

gfrg88
08-28-2006, 11:30 AM
so basically the answer is no? but i want some more topend power? should i just get a cam gear for that??

MessyHonda
08-28-2006, 11:41 AM
if you already have a 2 inch it should be good. isnt the stock size like 1.75?

bobafett
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
i know i am pretty much alone in this, but i fully support 2.5" on an NA 3g with bolt ons. :)

i have 2.25 but my wifes old 3g car had 2.5 and it was much better and sounded wayy better.

if you are going turbo i would wait, and get 3" when u are boosted. but i wouldnt bother with anything unless you want to get 2.5 now, enjoy it, and then upgrade to 3" when boosted.

if you feel that 2.5 is sufficient when boosted, then i would just go ahead and do it now, because you will like how it feels na.

dont listen to the people who say 2.0 is better na.... until we get dyno numbers, this is pretty much speculation. yeah u might have a bit higher tq down low. but the a20 has plenty of tq down low. what it needs is topend. and a larger diameter exhaust will help free up some topend.

though honestly ambers car had better low end power even with boltons and 2.5" exhaust compared to my cammed accord with boltons and 2.25...

i cringe whenever people suggest 2.0 or even 2.25, if i had to do it over again, even on a mildly modded accord, i would stick with 2.5 or higher. and at least 3" if boosted.

ps after the cam you will really want the less restrictive exhaust, which cam did you get? the 272 will feel great.... but im curious which cam you bought.

gfrg88
08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
i know i am pretty much alone in this, but i fully support 2.5" on an NA 3g with bolt ons. :)

i have 2.25 but my wifes old 3g car had 2.5 and it was much better and sounded wayy better.

if you are going turbo i would wait, and get 3" when u are boosted. but i wouldnt bother with anything unless you want to get 2.5 now, enjoy it, and then upgrade to 3" when boosted.

if you feel that 2.5 is sufficient when boosted, then i would just go ahead and do it now, because you will like how it feels na.

dont listen to the people who say 2.0 is better na.... until we get dyno numbers, this is pretty much speculation. yeah u might have a bit higher tq down low. but the a20 has plenty of tq down low. what it needs is topend. and a larger diameter exhaust will help free up some topend.

though honestly ambers car had better low end power even with boltons and 2.5" exhaust compared to my cammed accord with boltons and 2.25...

i cringe whenever people suggest 2.0 or even 2.25, if i had to do it over again, even on a mildly modded accord, i would stick with 2.5 or higher. and at least 3" if boosted.

ps after the cam you will really want the less restrictive exhaust, which cam did you get? the 272 will feel great.... but im curious which cam you bought.

i got a 272 :D and yeah, thats why i asked people what they thought about the 2.5" because i have enough lowend torque, what i need is topend, the a20 has enough tq for me. ill prolly end up with 2.5 for now and boost it later, then build it up (hopefully) then something like 3" :rockon:

A20A1
08-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I went the other way I started with 2.5 and then downsized to 2.25" before removing the exhaust and running open header. I wouldn't suggest 2" N/A for the entire exhaust but it should help if you keep it 2" off the header then around the cat area up it to 2.25" or 2.5"

bobafett
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
yeah and i think the DC header is around 2" downpipe anyway. my 2.25 definetly gets larger than the downpipe of my header. :D

u will like the 272 + 2.5 combo. especially with the test pipe and nice intake manifold. :D

B16KILLA
08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I have a 2.5'' exhaust and my car has plenty of low end torque. I can still chirp my tires pretty damn good when I floor it from a start AND its an auto.But I have other goodies too :kekeke: