PDA

View Full Version : wrx hood scoop intake?

daves88coupe
08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
how bad/good do uthink this will look/function?
hey only reason im even toying with the idea is ...massive amounts of cold air....and it may look decent i dunno
dave

2drSE-i
08-25-2006, 09:34 PM
you might try looking at some of the bodywork done to a20's car, it looks very similar, or bullards car. It would look alright i think, it would class too badly with the bodylines of the car. functionality is definately good, only problem would be rigging it. First step = drawings sir.

A20A1
08-25-2006, 10:20 PM
do it.. .but be cautios because the 3" high ones will catch a lot of air depending where you put it... even with bolts to hold the scoop to the hood @ 70 mph the top layer of the hood metal began to lift and bulge as the hood scoop pulled the hood up. If you don't secure it good it will rip right off.

A20A1
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
oh and don't be afraid to put the scoop off center... no one will be able to rag on you if you can prove that it's more functional on the far left or right side of the hood then simply in the center for looks.

bumbleski
08-25-2006, 11:27 PM
There is a simple way to determine the air flow over the hood, but I can only remember half of it....

You take a relatively thick substance (which I can't remember) and put dots of it all over the hood, separated by an inch or two between dots. Then you take the car out for a good romp and when you park it, you can tell by the dots being spread around where the air was flowing the most. That's where you place the scoop! I wish I could remember the substance, but I do remember it wasn't anything fancy or Hi-tech....this is a very old trick. You can probably come up with something, but use something that won't stain the paint...:)

rick

LiTtLe xOx BitT
08-26-2006, 12:32 AM
If you can get it to work its a good idea. The only thing im curious of is what you future plans for the car are as far as performance. The only reason i say that is because of the fact that you will be forcing in a lot more air, you also need to make sure the exhaust system can let out a lot more. Are you planning on doing an aftermarket header and exhaust system, or maybe even a different intake manifold?

A20A1
08-26-2006, 12:38 AM
now that I look at my tape measure I think it was 4" high not 3.

The one I kept on the longest and the one most of you have seen alread was lower profile and didn't stick into the airflow as much, it was about 2" high. Part of the reason was because it was so long that the opening ended up too far forward.
It's better when you get closer to the washer nozzles. Line #2 vs where I had my opening at line #1

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/a20_night_street.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/hood_scoop.jpg

mkymonkey
08-26-2006, 10:14 AM
would having a hood scoop only work on carb cars. at least thats how i see it in my head. i mean fi guys just put an intake and its the same deal right?

A20A1
08-27-2006, 02:08 AM
EFI guys have a nice setup actually.
The stock air filter has the snorkle to pic up air from the fender... well you can enlarge that pipe and force the hood scoop air into the filter box and then you already have a nice short pipe from the air box right to the TB.

just run a K&N filter, and find a way to keep out water.

The AEM bypass will not work in the case of a hoodscoop... since water will enter above the TB and will naturally flow down and pool and enter the TB... you'll have to flood the entire intake to get the bypass to open and by then water would have already found it's way in.

I mean it's not just to get cold air, it's to get ram air.

you can't simple stick a round filter in the bumper and expect to get ram air... there is no pressure box so what ever flows around the filter is wasted and not much if any is actually rammed in. You figure a scoop and box bigger then the scoop collecting air and then you forcing all that air past the filter and down into a tiny tiny tiny 3" pipe to the TB... well once you go fast enough.

lostforawhile
08-27-2006, 04:24 AM
I did something like this but wanted cold air so I turned the scoop around. i didn't want all that drag. that much drag will kill whatever gains you get from ram air anyway. I have a thread on it somewhere I think it's called progress on the hood scoop or something like it.

lostforawhile
08-27-2006, 04:45 AM
here it is http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45304 there is one just on painting it also I'll see if I can find it