PDA

View Full Version : umm, my brakes are screwed up are they?

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 04:45 PM
well, i was looking over at my master cylinder today, and it was almost to the empty mark, so i filled it up. my car still doesnt have the engine in it yet, so i decided to clean up the interior a bit. i accidently pushed the brake pedal a couple times, and i noticed there was basically no force involved in it like there usually is and i also heard air coming out of a line. then i look at my master cylinder, and the fluid levels going down. i havent looked into the back brakes yet, but my fronts arent leaking a drop at all. the brakes were working perfectly before i took my motor out, but right now i dont think theres any clamping force at the calipers at all. does anybody know whats wrong?

EricW
08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
From what you said it, sounds like you have a hole in your brake system somewhere.

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 06:48 PM
it doesnt seem to be leaking on the ground or anything, and i just looked at the lines and nothings wrong with them. i guess ill take it to honda before i actually drive it

EricW
08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I assume that they worked before you took the engine out, but i would give the whole brake system a good look over and then If you didn't see any leaks i would bleed the brakes and then see if your brakes start working right.

Is it possible that you bumped one of the metal lines in the engine bay with the engine when pulling the engine or possibly broke one of the front rubber brake lines when you removed the alxes for the engine swap?

A18A
08-27-2006, 07:58 PM
maybe that sound is your brake booster since its got no were to go seeing the engine aint there?

EricW
08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
maybe that sound is your brake booster since its got no were to go seeing the engine ain't there?

Yes that should be right, But that wouldn't explain the brake fluid level.

Did you pump the peddle several times to see if it got firmer?

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes that should be right, But that wouldn't explain the brake fluid level.
Did you pump the peddle several times to see if it got firmer?

it didnt get firmer at all, it just stayed the same, but the fluid level didnt really change. i see no leaks at all, no lines are broken, so i dont know whats wrong. ill have to get it checked out before i take it out on the streets

A18A
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
try just pushing the car, and hit the brakes

2drSE-i
08-27-2006, 09:28 PM
isnt the brake booster controlled by vacuum?? if your fluid level is the same as when u filled it up, i wouldnt worry about it.

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 09:48 PM
try just pushing the car, and hit the brakes

the car is apart and on stands, so that isnt an option...

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 09:49 PM
isnt the brake booster controlled by vacuum?? if your fluid level is the same as when u filled it up, i wouldnt worry about it.

thats the thing. it almost emptied itself out completely after sitting for a couple months, and i dont see leaks anywhere

MessyHonda
08-27-2006, 09:50 PM
would the ebrake affect anything? this could be the prob

Pico
08-27-2006, 09:52 PM
disconnect the vaccum hose going to the booster and see if there is fluid coming from there your master cylinder seal could be leaking into the booster

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 10:20 PM
would the ebrake affect anything? this could be the prob

its all mechanical, so i highly doubt it

newaccorddriver
08-27-2006, 10:21 PM
disconnect the vaccum hose going to the booster and see if there is fluid coming from there your master cylinder seal could be leaking into the booster
ill look into this tomorrow after i get off work

A18A
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
the car is apart and on stands, so that isnt an option...
just get someone to spin the wheels then :-/

newaccorddriver
09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
im having this problem all over again. out of curiosity, would gravity cause the fluid to possibly leak out the rear brake cylinders? just a thought as it emptied itself out again.

EricW
09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
im having this problem all over again. out of curiosity, would gravity cause the fluid to possibly leak out the rear brake cylinders? just a thought as it emptied itself out again.

It could, but gravity puts no where near as much pressure on it as the amount of pressure when you push the brake pedal.

My only sugestion is to wipe everything, brake related, down and make sure it is clean then check it a day or two later and see if you see any leaks. You should check everything including the brake lines that run through the interior of the car, although they would be my last suspect.

reanimator420
09-20-2006, 01:06 PM
wow interesting, i have this same problem. but i can push my brake pedal to the floor and it brakes but doesnt stop. ive been drivin it for a week now very carefully and using the e to stay still at lights. mine went out when some van pulled out on me and slammed on brakes and the pedal all of the sudden went lifeless. and then i pump the brakes a few times and keep hearing whoooosh. sorry to thread jack but im in on this one too and i know how it feels.:thumbdn: