PDA

View Full Version : PCV valve?

ccotm
08-27-2006, 11:28 PM
What does this do and would it be a good idea to change it if I am finding oil in my air filter box? I have a carbed 87 lx

A18A
08-27-2006, 11:42 PM
youre finding oil in your air intake??? something is seriously wrong there :-| you shouldnt have to replace it though

ccotm
08-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I just find it weird to find oil there...and that is the only line going into the filter box that would have oil in it...

2oodoor
08-28-2006, 02:17 AM
youre finding oil in your air intake??? something is seriously wrong there :-| you shouldnt have to replace it though
finding oil in the air box is not always something to freak out about immediately. If you ever owned 4.0 FI Jeep you know that for sure.The pvc system on those things are poorly designed and dump oil in the air box.
Yes It is a concern though, and the PVC is very important on engines, some engines it gets overlooked and takes a while for something to show up malfunked. Yes CCOTM regarding your post... replace the pvc valve and make sure the hoses and grommets seal up good (do not use sealant.... just check on good fit of rubber and plastic parts) You may need to clean out your throttle body and upper intake with some good TB cleaner, make sure the vaccuum source for the pvc valve is sucking when its running, just pull it off while running and hold your finger and see if its pulling good, you may need to run a pocket screwdriver in the hole some to clear it of built up carbon & oil cake. Never clean TB when the car is running, and it may skip and cut up some just after cleaning it but it will clear up in seconds. Only use O2 sensor safe TB cleaner.
The idea is to clean the disc plate and surface of TB where it closes in the TB so that it closes good and not hanging slightley open because of carbon build up. You will have much better vaccuum at idle then and smoother idle as well. Valvoline makes a good product, but I use BG ..you may have to get that from dealership, not neccessarily Honda dealership.
All that covered, then if you still have massive oil comming up the air box then you have excessive blowby and a reason to be concerned about the health of the engine..