PDA

View Full Version : replace front struts, but what else?

timber_cruiser
08-30-2006, 02:04 PM
I have an 1989 accord LX. It has 150,000 miles with probably the original front struts. I have an annoying front clunk - vibration going over rough road surfaces. I think I need to replace the front struts just due to age and mileage (?). I did check other front end components by grabbing the front wheels with wheels off the ground and doing the top to bottom and side to side strong arm test. Nothing appears to be loose.

Question - if I replace front struts, should I also replace other components like rubber bushings etc? I have not done front struts before, but consider myself as to be a hammer jammer back yard mechanic with a new spring compression tool that I am looking forward to using!

Any advice and recommendations from forum users with prior experience would be appreciated.

Pico
08-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd go for it and change the struts and the strut mounts if you have over 150,000 on the original struts it's time for change, you'll appreciate the ride and handling alot better.
I also had a annoying rattle coming from my front end whenever I would go over a bump and I replaced my front struts twice and the noise was still there, than I found a Honda service bullitin saying that a bad caliper bracket was the cause of the noise, after replacing the bracket the rattle went away.:D

MessyHonda
08-30-2006, 04:33 PM
well i replaced my 4 shocks..didnt buy anything for them...my car also had like 152k miles on it....and yeah PicoPoP is right it does improve handling alot i love how i can take corners at high speed. and i just have OEM replacements....if i was you i would get a Tokico set...they are 10-15% shiffer and they only run at 220 on ebay. way worth is since i paid 150 for my OEM

w261w261
08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, it could be a lot of things, but most likely some bushings are gone. I'd look at the strut rod bushings. They're the two rods pointing towards the front of the car and serve to dampen the front-to-back motion of the front suspension. Take a look at #7 and 8 here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+DX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+LOWER+ARM

There's a bunch of bushings in the suspension, all of which may now need to be freshened up. One thing, and DO NOT FORGET THIS: always grease the bushings before installation. In the case of the control arm bushings, once they're in there and they start to squeek, there's really no way to get at them for a lube.