PDA

View Full Version : How to remove door panel on 4 door LX?

bushbean
08-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Howdy folks,

Got another query for ya. My front power window clunks and moves real
slow, so I need to remove the door panel to see what's going on with
the lift mechanism. Could someone give some pointers on removing the
door panel?

Thanks yall!

A pickup-drivin' Texan

A18A
08-31-2006, 06:18 AM
you unscrew everything in the way, theres 3 big screws in the big thing on the door, dont forget them, once there out, pry off the thing on top (i think its a chrome trim) pry it upwards, best with the window down,, but if it wont go down its ok. get a flat head screw driver, put it between the panel and door, feel around for little clip thingies holding it in, pry them out (carefull not to damage the door panel as its only like cardboard. once you pryed them off, lift the panel up and out, then unplug what's in the way :)

1ajs
08-31-2006, 08:36 AM
i think the manual shows you how to do this also

w261w261
08-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Get a panel tool at an auto parts store. It's kind of wide and flat with a bend in it. It has a notch to fit around the plugs holding the panel to the door. Take out all the obvious screws...latch, armrest, etc. On my 89, there's a small circular (dime-sized) cover over a screw just behind the speaker grill.

Once all the screws are out, take the panel removal tool and insert it between the panel and the door frame. Try to do it where the plugs are. The tool's notch will allow you to leave the female plug in the door, and pop out the male plug in the panel. Once the panel is loose, lift the panel up and out of the door frame from the rear first, then kind of pull it back from the front window frame. Note that there's a little foam wrap/spacer around the door lock button. Make sure you put that back when you put the panel back in, or the lock button may rattle on you.

If you're the ambitious type, now's the time to lube the window mechanism and clean the contacts on at least the driver's door window switch. When you're unplugging the wire sets, clean the plugs with electric contact cleaner (comes in a spray can).

Good luck.

TheWatcher
09-02-2006, 12:10 AM
It literally should take about 5 minutes to pull the door panel.

Ditto on using the panel tool. I bought mine at Checkers.

Make sure all the screws are removed and remove the wire harness(es) if any.

I like to have a "helper" when putting the door panel back on, since you have to hook up the wire harness(es). It's easier to put the harness on, if you aren't using one hand to hold up the door panel (hence my preference for a helper to put the door panel back on). Of course, you can replace the door panel w/o any help, but it takes a bit longer.

If the plastic door liner is no longer attached correctly, now is the time to tape the plastic door liner back in place.

Peace.

88Accord-DX
09-02-2006, 12:13 AM
One in the same.

Matco door panel removers.