PDA

View Full Version : A few noobish audio Qs?

Feuerstoss
08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
'Ey, all. I've decided to retire my Celica for a while, since I've been driving a lot more than I used to and my 3G gets waaay better gas mileage than my turbo AWD beast. However, I decided that the Accord could use a pick-me-up in the comfort and audio department. While I've gotten some better seats(LXi coupe- haven't installed 'em just yet) and some other goodies, I'm turning my attention to the audio. I've installed the 6x9 baskets for an '88-'89 LXi, and am running el cheapo speakers in there right now. The fronts are pretty nice Pioneers, and while it sounds okayish, I need a bit more tweaking to the system.

I can't really afford a head unit in the car right now, and the Celica's deck won't fit(double-DIN). I have an amp and sub sitting around waiting impatiently for me to install. I was wondering if I can somehow run my aftermarket amp and sub on my stock system, at least temporarily. Anyone have any ideas on how this can e done, or is it a technical impossibility?

mkymonkey
08-31-2006, 02:49 PM
most amps have high level imputs. that means that you can connect the speaker ouputs fromt he radio rather than the RCA's. so the amps would be wired the same except for the RCA's if you have the stock head unit thats how it should be done. oh and they way i usually do it whenever i decide to go that route is to get a 4ch amp that has preouts and wire it through the high level imputs onto the headunit. then use a pair of RCA's to connect the 4ch to a Mono Block or 2ch for a sub.

get it?

Feuerstoss
08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I got ya. Looks like the two-channel amp I have is set up for only low-level inputs... I've got the RCA jacks, and nothing else except the outs to the speakers, remote, power, and ground. Looks like this won't work exactly how I had in mind.

MessyHonda
08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
yeah just save up a lil for a deck...my friend just got a cheap sony for 110 out the door....and it sounds good...he has a kicker solobaric L5 12 inch with a 700 watt amp and it bumps nice.

mkymonkey
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
they make adapters for low to high level inputs so you can wire your stock stereo as well. dude they've thought of everything.

here is one on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-LOW-HIGH-LEVEL-SPEAKER-TO-RCA-ADAPTOR-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ320021217578QQihZ011QQcategoryZ60 208QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

and here is another one (http://cgi.ebay.com/HIGH-LEVEL-TO-RCA-PHONO-LOW-LEVEL-ADJUSTABLE-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ230023403563QQihZ013QQcategoryZ14 932QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )