PDA

View Full Version : bumper filler? prices??

bobafett
08-28-2002, 08:12 PM
ok my bumper filler is rusted to hell, i am talking about the skinny metal peice that goes all the way across the car, in the back, beneath the taillights, and above the rear bumper.

my honda dealership in town wants to charge me $81.13 for the part, and an additional $126 to paint the fucker. but i cant find anyone that sells this part online. if i could buy the part for cheap, then painting it wouldnt be so bad, but i just cant bring myself to pay bad prices for both. :)

does anyone know where i can buy this piece online for less money, or does anyone have a blue 86 hatch that can spare this peice? i would pay $50-$100 if its in good (perfect) shape. :)

YK86
08-28-2002, 08:41 PM
If you don't want the rust to come back, buy that piece new. You can paint it yourself by either ordering a spray can of color matched paint from the local auto store or someone had a link of a place online that sold matching paint. I pay about $15 a can for my PPG acrylic enamel paint which is enough to do two bumpers.

bobafett
08-28-2002, 08:53 PM
yeah i see your point, but i am afraid that i cant paint it well... would it really be that easy to get a can of paint that would match and do a good enough job? if so, i will just buy the part right from honda.... unless you guys have some awesome hookup!?!

offthahook
08-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
yeah i see your point, but i am afraid that i cant paint it well... would it really be that easy to get a can of paint that would match and do a good enough job? if so, i will just buy the part right from honda.... unless you guys have some awesome hookup!?!

Try a junkyard. For a part that small, you could paint it with several thin coats, then clearcoat it and it would be fine. You might wanna find out why it rusted out so bad. I know they are prone to rust, but you might wanna hit the area behind it with some undercoating stuff. Kinda ghetto, but cheaper than having a body shop do some crazy crap.

YK86
08-29-2002, 12:13 AM
I need to replace that same part too. I am going with a new piece for under the tailights from Honda and I picked up a trunk lid from the wreckers in mint condition (absolutely no rust or dents at all, must have been garage kept). Only problem is, it's light blue so I bought some matching paint. Like mentioned above, a strip that small is actually very easy. You can spray it with one pass that's slow enough to ALMOST make it run which will also give you a nice glossy finish if you are using acrylic enamel. If you have base/clear, then gloss doesn't matter since you will paint over with clear anyways. Give it time to dry and spray another coat if neccessary. Practice first on something like your old piece until you get the hang of it. If you screw up, you can always let it dry, sand it down, and do it again.

bobafett
08-29-2002, 08:18 AM
yeah thats what i will probably end up doing. the main trouble will be finding one. NONE of the junkyards around here have 3g hatches~ and the ones an hour away only have teh frames left! lol

buster133
08-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Try looking on www.hondaautomotiveparts.com I checked on that site and it lists that part at $60.00 something. I can't remember what category it was under, but it was there.

bobafett
08-31-2002, 10:48 AM
thanks, its in outer panels.. and its 60.29, with a 4.95 handling fee. does anyone know how there shipping rates go? if its $15, or more, i might as well buy the damn peice locally!

buster133
09-01-2002, 02:52 PM
The biggest or most heaviest that I have ordered from Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com) was an oem muffler and they charged the 4.95 for handling and 7.00 for freight, and that piece was pretty heavy.

bobafett
09-01-2002, 08:28 PM
well if its only a matter of $10 i might as well get it NOW... :P

what should i do about painting it?

toastyghost
09-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Dude that place charges way too much!! My spare front bumper for the custom kit was $38, on that site they charge $123!!@#!1

bobafett
09-02-2002, 10:00 AM
WTF??? well find me my peice for $20 then! :) where did you buy yours from?

stgardner
09-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Bide your time and keep checking the junk yards. I replaced mine for $25 and they removed the part for me. Luckily it was the same color so no painting.

bobafett
09-02-2002, 05:48 PM
hehe you lucky bastard, i would love to get an opportunity like that!